Recommend me some new pants.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jay.money, Jul 22, 2009.

1. jay.money

jay.money Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like my 5 year old Belstaff pants have given up. Can someone recommed a good 3 season pant wtih knee and hip pads, vents or zip out panels?

What's good out there? I bought a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket last year and I'm not thrilled with it, so would likely shy away from another Joe Rocket product. Open to anything else, though.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been real pleased with my Aerostitch Dariens for going on 5 years.Depending on your size you may be able to catch a deal here.
  3. Cam

Cam Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is your budget and typical riding weather?
  4. jay.money

Oddometer:
    Budget is flexible.

Riding weather... I'm looking for something in a 3 season variety. I'm in Toronto, so it's cold in the spring and fall, and hot in the summer. I'll likely need something with vents, a zip out liner and have the ability to layer under (longjohns, sweat pants).

I started riding in March this year and ended last season in late Oct. Temps usually around 5c - 10c.
  5. jay.money

Oddometer:
    These look nice. Thanks.
  6. NHRedleg

NHRedleg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Hockley Boy

Hockley Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Cam

Cam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stich gear is going to be a good option for your temps. RevIt Dakar which is on sale is another option for a full weather 3 season pant:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-dakar-pants

The Ultimate is another good on sale choice but there aren't many left:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-ultimate-pants

Non-Sale the Cayenne Pro but a tad expensive

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-cayenne-pro-pants

BMW makes some nice pants as well. I would look at pants with higher end materials that are vented. All of the above would be on my to check out list.
  9. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I love my Dariens, but they are a bit hot in the muggy Toronto summers, though I have ridden with them pretty exclusively for the last four years, and still love them. They're ok when moving but stopped or having a coffee, they can get hot.

They do not vent, that is the downside. In a pinch you can open up part of the two-way leg zippers, but it's not really a vent. The upshot is they are absolutely bulletproof and absolutely waterproof, handmade, and customizable if necessary.

I recently ordered a set of Darien Lights, as although they don't vent either, the much lighter-weight Cordura (200 vs. 600) should have a wider temp range and "flow" air better even through the fabric. Haven't tried them yet though.

I find I can typically tolerate the hotter pants and use a mesh jacket in the heat to stay cool, that works well for me.

dc
  10. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not pleased with the Joe Rocket brand during the last 3-4 years, they really started cheaping out. The original owner gave up the company to an american interest who outsourced everything overseas (China/Korea). He recently bought it back, took over control with the promise to rebuild the trust he had with the riding community by improving the product. I wont buy another piece of gear from them until it shows improvement.
    Instead I just pulled the pin on a pair of Klim Dakar pants, in the mail right now, can't wait to try them.
  11. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    Fieldsheer Mercury overpants work well, adjustable armour, zipper all the way up each leg, waterproof and thermal lining (removeable), many pockets, 8" rear zip to jacket.....only $90 or so
  12. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just wear shorts under the Dariens when it's hot.Helps a great deal.I guess it also depends on your work situation.I'd change when I got there.Since I'm laid off it doesn't really matter anymore.
  13. jay.money

Oddometer:
    10-4. What I can't get over are the squids at the local shop pushing the JR stuff. A buddy of mine went in to a shop (that shall remain nameless) looking for a jacket. Squid says "Joe Rocket is what you want. It's the best stuff...". Buddy looks at the Rocket, then the similar Scorpion and there's no contest. Scorpion wins and is almost 10% less expensive.
  14. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    I just bought the rev'it Mistral pants. They have large vents so they're pretty cool in summer, but they have a really nice zip-in water proof liner as well. Also, the knee armor is ridiculously sturdy. We compared them to the boyfriend's Cayenne pro pants, and he likes my kneepads better. They're very well made pants. I'm more than pleased with them.
  15. Timo Explorer

Timo Explorer Trail Wizard

Oddometer:
    I just love my Olympia Ranger 2 pants.
    Zip out liner for cold Canadian weather, waterproof and yet still cool and comfy when your moving in hot weather. I wear mine year round.

Ride up to Guelph and visit Two Wheel Motorsports. They carry a good selection.
  16. Chacifer

Chacifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are these the women's mistral pants? I'm also very interested in them, but I'm hesitant to buy online without trying them on first. Do they run true to size?
  17. Meromorph

Meromorph Expat Brit in TN.

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Olympia Ranger II pants.
    I've been comfortable in mine from 20 degrees upt to 85 degrees, and (when moving) over 100 degrees. Below 20 degrees I'll put the liners in...
  18. Sox Fan

Sox Fan SoxFan

Oddometer:
    I have had a pair of Darien Lights for a couple of years. Fabulous fit, function and quality. Perfect for wearing over work clothes and you don't look as much like a power ranger as some other stuff out there.

Only downside is no vents and they are pricey.
  19. IKIGAI

IKIGAI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a pair of Rev’it Mistral pants for two trips this summer, from Vancouver to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Los Angeles</st1:place></st1:City> – the first trip at the end of June and the second in the first week in July.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The first trip was mostly coastal with cool temps and fog with light precip, and no real heat until the LA valley in the high 90’s.<o:p></o:p>
    The second trip was cool and wet from <st1:City w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:City> to <st1:City w:st="on">Portland</st1:City>, and then hot for the rest of the trip – 118F through <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Panamint</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
    I didn’t like the fit or the waist closure on the Mistrals though, and for the return leg of the second trip I used a pair Rev’it Turbine pants.<o:p></o:p>
    The Mistrals vent slightly better than the Turbine, however the Turbine is available in a silver (grey, really) color and would be cooler in direct light.<o:p></o:p>
    The Turbine uses water proof pockets and the waist closure is a snap and belt buckle combination. Both pants use a zip-in liner which removes and installs easily and is supposed to qualify either as rain pants, but in reality nobody is going to doff their pants at the side of the road to install a liner, so I would only qualify these things as thermal liners. (If you really want to water proof your ride, use a goretex overpant – I keep a pair of MEC goretex rain pants in one of the panniers for just this.)<o:p></o:p>
    With the liners in and a pair of Under Armor Cool johns on, I would expect you would have no problems with <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ontario</st1:place></st1:State> autumn weather.<o:p></o:p>
    The critical failure with both pants though, is the armor – it’s shite, and I’m using BMW NP armor in comparison.<o:p></o:p>
    If I keep the Turbines, I will probably have the knee armor pockets enlarged to accept the NP armor from an old pair of BMW City pants I have kicking around. <o:p></o:p>
    If I had to choose between either the Mistral or the Turbine, I would go with Turbine -- better fit and a selection of colors (if you can call black or grey a real option).
    Hope this helps with your decision making!<o:p></o:p>
  20. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    Chacifer:
    They ARE the women's pants. I wear a 34 in the factor pants, but had to order a 36 in the mistrals because in the 34s I ordered I couldn't even get on the bike... so, they do run a tad small. I'd try them on if you can. I order my gear from Beachmoto and they've been very easy to exchange stuff with. I really like the pants though.. they make my rather nice Factor pants feel cheap... :evil Really wish i had some nice pictures of them... My only complaint is that I wear tall motocross boots, which means I don't get as much ventilation throuhg the lower legs as I could if I had shorter boots... YMMV...

The Turbine's looked badass! but at the time they were backordered in my size.... Still would like to try some on sometime though...