Metaline Falls to Yakima... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Lav1200, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for routing suggestions for the following.

A group of us are riding from Calgary AB to the Northwest Nitro hillclimb competition just outside of Yakima on May 15-20. Our route in WA will start at Metaline Falls. From there, we'd like to stay off pavement as much as possible tight down to Yakima. We are intermediate riders on big DS bikes (GS800, KTM 950/990, GS1200), mild dual-track routes would be best, not wanting single-track. Given the time of year, I'm assuming we will need to avoid any of the higher passes to avoid getting blocked by snow.

I have the Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer for WA, as well as Benchmark's recreation map. Any suggestions for routing on all or part of the route would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy
  2. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    You'll have to work pretty hard and go out of your way to avoid pavement.
    I'd consider taking hwy 20 to Kettle falls, then turn south on the east side of the Columbia river/Lake Roosevelt to the Hunter ferry, take the ferry then turn south and follow the river/lake to the Keller ferry (gravel), then south to Wilbur. Then west to hwy 17,then south to Othello, then ride Crab Creek rd through Smyrna (gravel) to Beverly, then turn south to hwy 24, where the hill climb is.
    Have fun!
    If you're really bent on gravel you can ride down the west side of the river from Kettle Falls on the Indian reservation, and avoid the Hunters ferry (the ferries are free), but the east side paved road is more scenic and enjoyable.
  3. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    If the weather's nice there is a nice loop from Metaline Falls that takes you past Sullivan lake and back to the hwy, it's paved though.
  4. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Thanks a ton for the routing ideas. I used our 84" SMART Board over lunch to do some mapping - your suggestions look great:
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Andy
  5. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    If you're going to see the dam, which is a good idea if you have time, you can skip the Keller ferry and ride the reservation roads over the mountain to Elmer City, then to the dam. That would get you some more gravel, or at least decomposing asphalt.
  6. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    A lot of the reservations here in Canada have restricted roads, unless you are a resident. Even some of the main paved roads have large "No Trespassing" signs. Is it the same story on the Colville reservation?
  7. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Some reservations in the states are that way too, but the Colville's cool.
    Just make sure you say Callville, not Coalville.