Blue Point vs. Snap On combo wrench opinions/experiences

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Glowbug, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Glowbug

Glowbug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know, I know they're not US-made, but does anyone have input on whether or not a few sets of Blue Point combo wrenches would be a good buy for someone putting together a starting tool set? I've bought US-made sockets and ratchets already, but the sets I'm looking at from Proto will run about $500 new - I could pick up a set of BPs for a lot less than that.

Before Gearwrench went to the PRC, their Taiwanese-produced lines seemed to get decent reviews - so I shouldn't be afraid of these, right? :norton

Thanks in advance.
  2. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see why not. Why is everyone of the opinion that if a tool isn't made in the USA it's junk?

Blueproint wrenches fit the bolt head just as well as SnapOn, I have a few of both, but most of my wrenches are Craftsman and I have no complaints about them either.
  3. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a LOT of Snap On tools and a couple sets of the Blue Point gear ratchet wrench sets. They work just fine. I actually like them better than the Snap On gear wrenchs.
  4. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quality is only one part of the equation. Doesn't using tools made in America give you a good feeling inside? It does it for me. I am always willing to pay a little more for American made products everything else being equal.
  5. Rd650

Rd650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snapon=Lifetime warranty on hand tools
    Blue Point= No lifetime warranty on hand tools.
    Look at the online catalog for country of origin
  6. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    SnapOn :deal
  7. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
  8. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Proto was stamped or set by forged on tools during the VN war. Proto was a US Gov't contract name made by the Thorsen Tool Co in Emeryville, CA, during the 60s. These tools were used everywhere in VN & by Military Units being transferred. They were good strong tools. Funny to see the name pop up after so many decades.
  9. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    go with real Snap-on ... track record wise Snap-on has the highest reseal values. forget blue point wrenches... might as well get Craftsman.

almost never purchase Snap-on wrench sets new... too frigging expensive. always keep an eye open for used Snap-on tools.

used retail at say a pawnshop for Snap-on hand tools are about 50% of book retail. this means pawnshops will pay about 10% of book retail.

so if you can purchase Snap-on hand tools for 25% of book retail... generally your $$$ is pretty safe. if you pay full book retail from the Snap-on truck... you will lose! there's no way around it. that said... when I visit a Snap-on truck, will almost always buy something. you still need their support on warranty issues.

unless you've got a paying job that needs special Snap-on tool... forget about buying it from a snap-on tool truck.
  10. mudmonster

mudmonster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys I am a Snap on franchisee down under and the bulk of ratchet scanners I sell is Bluepoint spherical drive and 12 point standard drive. Bluepoint as far as ratchet scanners does has a lifetime warranty ,but rarely needs it.I have Snapon and Bluepoint scanners and apart from the chrome quality it's hard to tell the difference. That's my five cents worth !
  11. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Proto is a Stanley brand, now.
  12. macd7919

macd7919 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a full set of snap on flank drives and also blue point ratcheting. The blue points aren't quite as nice finish quality but they work well. You may notice on the open end of the snap ons there will be a couple grooves that grab the edges of the nuts, the blue points (at least mine) don't have that feature. Honestly I probably use my blue points more than my snap on. Also, check with your local dealer, most of them will give you the same warranty on the blue points as snap on, just ask them. I've had three separate dealers for different regions and they all warrantied my blue point no questions asked. I wouldn't hesitate to buy blue point again.
  13. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I have a roll away tool box full of mostly Snap-On, some Mac, Matco, & a few Craftsman. Craftsman is a good dollar value for the home mechanic. I've got no complaints with the Craftsman wrenches.
  14. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    You have been misinformed , Blue Point has a lifetime warranty just like Snap On .

For a home mechanic , to save some money , Craftsman would be another option .
  15. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    While I am always happy to pay "a little more" for US-made stuff, I am not willing to pay five to ten times more.

Anyway, I'm not sure why the OP feels that a beginner in the dark arts of wrenchery needs arse-bleedingly expensive tools. Go to your local Sears or Lowes, get some Craftsman or Kobalt stuff, and dig in. When you break stuff on a Saturday afternoon (and you will) you won't need to track down a Snap-On truck.

Also, we seem to be discussing a couple of different things. Ratcheting wrenches are NOT a substitute for combination wrenches -- whatever their pedigree, the ratcheting mechanisms can't withstand nearly the same force.

The solution, of course, is to buy both... :deal
  16. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    have had no problems with generating enough torque with ratcheting wrenches. but when space is really tight... a normal Snap-on box end will fit, but a ratchet box end is too big.

when you have plenty of room, especially with long rusted threads. ratcheting wrenches sure are handy.

got both Blue Point and Snap-on ratcheting wrenches. both work equally well .. Snap-on version has a slightly nicer finish. when buying primarily used, like me... it's really luck of the draw on what comes up for sale.

yes .. you need both... ratcheting wrenches are NOT a replacement for standard box end wrenches.
  17. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    Got to love a gal that rides and buys Snap On
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snap-On,Craigslist,Ebay and a tough economy are beneficial to those seeking a bargain on top shelf tools.
  19. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Must not get banned ,must resist !

That said ,most of what has been said is accurate . blue point ,good tool to use ,snap on best for feel and resale . ratchet wrenches great advance in hand tools, not for tight places,no one I know has broken one. Proto ,Blackhawk have re surged in this market due to Mac ,Stanley connection . Mac very nice tools ,dealers whereabouts currently unknown
    Regards,Ed
  20. KawiVA76

KawiVA76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a tech for Mercedes, have about 8 years in the business. Own a set of flank drive snap on wrenches and a set of ratcheting blue point wrenches. Use the blue points literally every day on almost every job I do. Use the 22mm to turn the head on my oil filter wrench. In eight years the 22 mm needed to have the internals replaced about two years ago under warranty. That is the sole failure and I beat the hell out of these things. You'll be fine with them.

Mike