Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at Fallout 3?
  2. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much at the same point. Not much tactical advantage and sometimes a distinct disadvantage if she's blocking me backing up a narrow tunnel into which I want to funnel some baddies for frying. Or blocking me from a kill shot to take down a good soul. Also, as a pack mule, she had the annoying habit of dying while carrying some goodies, meaning I had the choice of abandoning them or reloading an earlier save to "revive" her.

I souped her up with hand-me-down dragon armor and gave her a strong soul catching bow (took away the other weapons but she never did catch any souls). Better but still some hassles. I enchanted some powerful fortify carry farkles, so I don't need the packmule function anymore. I've sent her home to Winterhold now to play companionless for a few quests.
  3. Lemon G

Lemon G Banned

Oddometer:
    Playing MW3 on Wii, still not prestige'd, level 73 though - loving the AK finally and claymores. Don't like that if you want to rock the claymore it takes place of your hand grenade though.

Just got an Xbox, playing some Skyrim - shit's amazing but I have video game ADD and really need the strategy guide to continue playing it.
  4. RUOK

RUOK no, no I guess not

Oddometer:
    I think I might have a problem! Just passed 400 hrs on Skyrim and have yet to finish the main Quest line. This thing is freakin huge. Glad it's been winter or I'd really feel guilty about this time soak. Maybe I need an intervention :lol3
  5. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought my first ever dedicated console(a PS3) after decades on a PC. Got tired of the regular hardware upgrade costs and the kids were killing it on the PS2. the Netflix etc was nice too. But am I'm doomed with the games standard controls. Is there a keyboard mouse like controller for these or anything "different"? I will never get used to those joysticks. Certainly not to the point I was on the desktop.
  6. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    If you have decades on a PC and just are starting with the game pad give it some time.
  7. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:

7 or 8 years ago I felt the same way about the pc hardware thing. Switched to console gaming and didn't look back. You'll get used to it, just give it time. I didn't think a controller could compare to the options and precision of a keyboard and mouse either, but I haven't thought about it in many years now.
  8. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    I thought we were bad logging 300 hours between the four of us. :lol3
  9. RUOK

RUOK no, no I guess not

Oddometer:
    I've been told I serve as a good "bad example"

10. RUOK

RUOK no, no I guess not

Oddometer:
    Give it some time, the joysticks will become second nature before you know it. I went through the same thing, got tired of the PC needing an upgrade every time a new game came out, got an X-box and haven't looked back. Do miss playing Thief though.

11. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Total respect for this point of view and billions of gamers obviously can't be wrong. Hell I've got 10 and 11 year old kids in my own house that prove it to me every day. And I know no one is "special" but I seriously do ot have it. I'm no world champ but I was pretty freaking good on the PC. With a game mouse and custom keystrokes I'm seriously lethal. And I'm 48 now. The KB/Mouse has been hardwired to my brain since prehistoric times (Shareware Wolfenstien years or so :eek1). I'm not really interested in sucking that long and I can't even concieve of the level of thumb control to get aiming down at the speed and precision of a mouse. ugh...

anyway... I did some hunting and found this setup from Eagle Eye anybody have any experience with it? I'm hopeful.
    http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Mouse-Keyboard-Converter-Playstation-3/dp/B0040UAYI4
  12. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    FloridaSteve, I feel your pain. I just turned 30, but have only been playing FPS on the consoles for about 2 years now. I think I am finally getting good at it now! That said, I really don't play that much. My kids are all under 6, so I have never wanted to play violent, graphic games around them. So I only play at night really, and even then only when my wife is preoccupied with something else.

So, if you play a bit more than I am able, I would think a few months would be all that's needed. It will take a while to develop the muscle memory that you have with a KB/mouse. I can still get on the PC and fire up COD4 and do very well, and I only play it every few months. That is all due to muscle memory. You'll get it, with time.
  13. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Or not. :lol3
    I bought an xbox just over a year ago. I play way too much and still suck at the controls. My boy who I let play maybe a tenth of what I'm allowed to play(because I'm the DAD! That's why!) picked it up in no time and flat out kills me in head to head games where quick aiming and shooting is the main focus.
  14. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Well, age is certainly a factor in building muscle memory. Memory of any kind is much more elastic in kids than adults.
  15. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    While practice does help it's still not as precise as the mouse and keyboard. I do all my FPS on the PC. Actually if there s a PC version I'll get that instead.
  16. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Ditto.

I stopped online FPS games on consoles with Halo2. The twitch-monkeys were just too much for me. I'll stick to PC FPSs where I have a chance at letting my old age and treachery overcome their youth and skill. :D
  17. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Anybody playing the latest Zelda for the Wii (Skyward Sword)?

Just got it a few weeks back. Have logged 25 hours and only just completed the third dungeon. The motion control of swinging the wii-mote for the sword is actually a lot better done than I thought it would be. The motion control for all the other weapons pretty well sucks but it doesn't ruin the game by any means.
  18. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting till someone has a real VR type of game like this. I want to put on a helmet, have a sword and shield, and go dungeon crawling like that. I figure some type of helmet mounted display isn't too far off. I figure with tech like the Kinect, it'll even know if you duck or move to dodge attacks. Talk about a nice workout from your game.
  19. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Into LARPing huh? :lol3
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl