Renting a street bike in Japan

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Kamakura Kid, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Kamakura Kid

Kamakura Kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this doesn't violate any forum rules. I have NO commercial links with this company.
    I often see on various fora questions about renting motorcycles for a day or so during a trip to Japan. At last week's TMCS, I saw a booth for Rental 819 (which kind of spells out "bike" in Japanese), so I picked up their English pamphlet in order to post it online for interested folk.
    The basic requirements are:
    1. Be at least 20 years old.
    2. Valid "home" motorcycle license
    3. International license
    4. Passport
    The website is http://www.rental819.com
    Contact edress is: info@rental819.com
    Scanned price list:
    [​IMG]
  2. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Maybe Trip Planning Asia would be a better place for this?? :hmmmmm
  3. Kamakura Kid

Oddometer:
    Wherever the mods feel it is most appropriate is fine by me.
  4. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it's pricey for sure, and I would guess a daunting idea for the uninitiated, but Japan is a real hidden gem and has some of the best riding roads the world has to offer. Outside of the crowded cities, the country is like 80% mountainous (NC, WV type mountains) - one only has to google map to see how twisty some of these roads are.

Thanks for posting this, I need to make back out there sometime for a real adventure..

(btw, it's been many years since I've ridden there, but one of the best resources I can recall was a quarterly bike magazine whose purpose was to map out the best riding roads.... does it still exist?)
  5. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Just did the conversion...the CB400 at 15,000 yen for 24 hours is around $182 a day. Ya ouch. Still for a one or two day sightseeing trip might still be worth it.
  6. Frosty_spl

Frosty_spl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think one of the other requirements is to have a fluent Japanese speaker with you when you rent the bike. But that might not be a problem for you.
    I want to rent something to ride around Tokyo when I visit in May, but my friends don't have licenses.:cry

The exchange rate sucks now, ughh!
  7. Kamakura Kid

Oddometer:
    I don't know offhand which specific magazine you're referring to, but there are several such periodicals out here. My favorite is the yearly updated Touring Mapple R, a motorcycle specific map series which comes out in separate issues to cover different regions of the country, and is sized to fit a tank bag window. The maps also provide a lot of info for dual purpose bikes, such as the condtions of various ungraded roads, season specific road closings, etc. Not that I'm into DP bikes myself, but I know of LOT of the folks here on ADV are.

[​IMG]
  8. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see they still have mags like that... I have no idea what I was looking at (it's been decades) but I do remember finding this magazine, following a couple routes, and riding the best roads I've ever been on in my life (and I've been to NC snd WV a few times).

Japan is awesome...