Converting my XT660Z front forks to USD Single Disc, will braking be affected?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by swanny199, Jan 4, 2013.

1. swanny199

swanny199 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    im looking at getting a new set of front forks for my tenere but the only thing holding me back is the braking, would it be weaker if i go from dual discs to one disc... i do alot of commuting and i dont want to upgrade my suspension if the brakes will be weaker than standard.
  2. ramar

ramar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It will be affected 100%. I did this convertion more you can read and see the pictures here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423225&page=83&highlight=xt660z

At the moment I run a standard YZ 250mm single brake rotor, It's ok for me but I am not a fast rider. I plan to change it with oversize 270mm or better 320mm, than it shoud be much better but still far away from the stock brakes.
    I hope this will help.
  3. gnuttis

gnuttis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM 690 Enduro R
    Dry weight:
    138.5 kg (305.3 pounds)

Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
    Dry weight:183.0 kg (403.4 pounds)

Yamaha XT660R

Dry weight:172.0 kg (379.2 pounds)

Yes is a pretty difference but XT660R only go with one 298mm disc & one brake. My KTM 690 Enduro R fork is shipped from Germany & will arrive soon. I,am going to use KTM 300mm disc with Yamaha XT660R orig brake. 320mm is to big for offroad use unless you will use motard wheels.
  4. ramar

ramar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are wright, 320mm is to big for off road.
  5. swanny199

swanny199 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice, the XTZ wet is another 22kg coz the tanks got huge capacity.. I recently bought Ohlins springs, stainless braided lines and a 21' excel rim to replace the OEM front made of cheese. I was kinda wishing i went with USD forks for improved handling offroad but i cant be fucked losing braking power.

Looks like im sticking with the original fork setup, keepin it old school haha

thanks for the advice everyone :beer
  6. gnuttis

gnuttis Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Nooooo don,t do it you will miss options like comp and rebound settings if you like to take you XTZ to next level you will regret you didn,t test it.
  7. swanny199

swanny199 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Iv done some more research and the BMW F650 GS weighs 199kg or 438 lbs WET and its only using a single 300mm disc.. So the USD forks with a 300mm Disc and a good brembo should be up for it.
  8. gnuttis

gnuttis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I got same settings for my XT660R with a WP fork from a 690 and same brakedisc and caliper from 690. When I,am complete done I Will post pics. There are some in xt660.com forum.

Skickat från min HTC One V via Tapatalk 2
  9. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KTM Super Enduro is heavier, has (a LOT) more power, and uses only one brakedisc up front. Works like charm.
    Just saying....:deal

:1drink
  10. dashmoto

dashmoto Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    A single 270mm disc will lock a knobbly front tyre on tarmac. How much more braking power are you going to use? If you run road tyres you might be able to make use of some of that extra power I suppose, but I'm usually wearing out knobblies that are too worn for serious dirt use.

What you lose in power you gain in feel - one disc and an EXC master cylinder works much better on the dirt than the wooden stock setup.

I commute through Nottinigham and Derby daily on mine, and I've not died yet.