Garmin Topo Alaska disk damaged - options?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Mike955i, May 27, 2010.

1. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    I have an old and well used copy of Topo (v3.02) that I use with my GPS60CSX. I never loaded the Alaska disks but am now spending the summer in Alaska and would like to have Topo on the GPS. I discovered that my Alaska disk (disk 1) has a defect or damage and it wont install. I emailed Garmin for a replacement and was told.....:fyyff. So, anyone have an option for solving the Alaska disk issue? I really prefer my older version and don't want to have to buy a new set. Appreciate any suggestions or pointers.

Cheers......Mike
  2. letank

letank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am still using 3.02, pm or email me and we can help you.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try making a copy of the disc if you have a burner. I've done that with music and video content discs that didn't play properly anymore but the copy worked. Somehow when copying the disc is read differently than when played as intended. YMMV. I used Nero which came bundled with the burner.
  4. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the defect/damage is scratches, try polishing them out. I've resurrected discs using a soft cotton rag and auto polish.
  5. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try calling Garmin... I keep hearing about their stellar customer service. I would expect them to help out in this case.