New Gaerne G-Midland Adventure Boot

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Brtp4, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    NWB, how much room do you have in the Balance?

BP
  2. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:

I would say they fit very well, with no "extra" room.
  3. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Go up a size.

BP
  4. Brtp4

Oddometer:
  5. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...I haven't re-read the whole thread so I have a question BP.
    How would yousay the ankle support in these are compared to the SIDI Adventures. I had a pair and the seemed real good, save me a couple times in fact.
    I have an old pair of SIDI Discos that seem to offer very little ankle support in comparison.
  6. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Similar ankle support. I will limit my comments, as I do not like the Adventures. Thanks for your assistance with this.

Much more support than the Discos.

BP
  7. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    What can I get in men's size 7 (41)? I have an older pair of Gaerne Explorers (not much protection), but i don't see any Gaernes in size 7 anymore. I don't want a waterproof boot. Something wearable in warm weather.

Suggestions?
  8. Brtp4

Oddometer:
  9. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Hmm. I like that ...
  10. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    What does a special order for Midlands entail ... how long, returnability/exchangeability, etc.?
  11. mb4807

mb4807 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've just bought a trials bike that I will use just for playing on occasionaly and maybe the odd competition here and there, but not lots of harcore regular use. I also have a GS1200 for road and some very easy DS work. I'm looking for a boot with enough flex and a suitable sole for the trials riding, but enough protection for the road and DS riding on the big bike. I have Gaerne MX boots already and they are way to stiff and have a slick sole.

I can't really tell from the web whether the G Midland is "the" boot, or whether the Balance is stiffer or less stiff than that? - Any advice on which boots might fit the bill, from Gaerne or other makes? I'd sooner sacrifice a little flex at the trials end of the spectrum to gain the protection at the road end. I started off thinking the Gaerne Adventures or the Sidi Discovery's would fit the bill, but am starting to think they may be too soft and offer too little in the way of protection.

Appreciate any advice you can give.
  12. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Sending you a PM.

BP
  13. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Got it. Thank you!
  14. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Your question has some personally specific yet opposite riding hypotheticals. My first reaction is that the Balance Oiled is a good....balance....between your two bikes and types of riding. But I always say that people should wear as much boot as they are willing to tolerate. Everyone's midpoint between comfort and protection is different, but yours is clearly tilting toward more support. The Midland is more supportive than the Balance, so I think is is a better choice for you. Based on your explanation, the Gaerne G-Adventure is too soft. You could look at an Alpinestars Scout, but that boot is a little clunky and I cannot imagine using it for trials.

BP
  15. mb4807

mb4807 n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the insight. Based somewhat on that, I think I am coming to the conclusion that a one boot solution will have too many compromises, so will probably just accept the fact I need a pair of trials boots and a nice stout pair of boots for touring and a bit of DS on the GS 1200. Trials boots is easy enough to find and choose. Just need to re-think the road boots now. Still want something I can walk in with a degree of comfort though, so don't think my Gaerne Skywalk MX boots are going to cut it for me. Hmm, any suggestions on that?
  16. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mb4807<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_18156458", true); </SCRIPT> , FWIW, I use the Gaerne Balance for road and light DS riding on my 800GS. I really like them, and Brian helped me out a lot with the decision. Now I'm looking for a bit more robust boot for Moab and other bit tougher DS on my WR250. This new G-Midland may be the ticket, but I'm also looking at the GX-1. I'm liking what I'm reading on the Midland...
  17. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    I think the Midlands are the best choice. Ironically they not that dissimilar to trials boots. They may even work for both applications.

BP
  18. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Your situation is different....since you already have a boot for DS riding, if you are purchasing a 2nd pair I recommend something tilting toward the off road end of the spectrum, meaning the GX-1. They still don't weigh anywhere near what, say Crossfires do, so you can actually walk in them a bit. They will be way, way better for Moab, etc. and would save you $170.

BP
  19. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point. PM sent.
  20. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the look of these boots a lot, and since my old ones are falling apart I might be getting a pair of these soon :clap