DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    You should be able to do a diagnostic resistance reading on the stator per the service manual.

At least on my Transalps having the tacho dropping down is the sign of a CDI box going bad. No test for this as far as I know but maybe swapping with a known good unit from someones spares cache would work.

I believe Stefan rebuilds stators and ignition coils for less than a new Suzuki part.

As far as the Triumph goes, I've never ridden a big DS bike that's better than the BIG as far as off-road handling goes. The bike has a narrow profile, is reasonable light (for a big trailie), finds traction easily and won't kill you picking is up from a hillside tip-over. I'm sure the Triumph is nice but if things get really tecnical, I'd side with the Suzuki.
  2. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Well the Freedom Cycle vid is a hoot.

A bit contrived at first but the riding was good.

Most "real" section was the snow. Even with spiky tires I could really identify with those two. After picking a heavy bike up 4 or 5 times, the ride changes character from fun to "lets just get through this". Then as you fatigue, your mistakes start getting more and more frequent.

Anyways, it was fun to watch.

The most important thing I learned..........

.......the reason the Trumpets sound so good it that they sound..............

yes

LIKE BIG 2 STROKES:clap

I hope they spent as much time and effort on developing the gear than they did making the vid.

Also not so sure about having a hood on a riding jacket. Filling full of air and pulling on your neck
  4. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ray when riding one they go like a big kwaka triple 750 2ooey but sound like Honda 4 , the first bike in the first link I posted the orange one does look a bit like this
    well at least there is some orange .[​IMG]
  5. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just put that pic up of the Big to keep everyone happy :D and carn,t sleep so I have got out of bed and doing this :lol3.
    [​IMG]
  6. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its got the bling on now​
    [​IMG]
  7. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Morning Rob,

I'm thinking your front and rear tires are a bit....uhmm...schizophrenic.
  8. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    does it do big skids?
  9. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you turn the ABS off , I sceen I sceen it I sceen it in the vids :lol3.
    Ray this weekend I am going away on it and there is a fair bit of tar riding and only maybe 200klm,s dirt , the dirt sections are just very long straight stuff so it will do hopefully.
    I have now got a thousand klm,s on it and this week end will be the first bit of dirt it has been on its been remapped for the pipe I have on it and had its first service .
  10. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Looks as though you raised the bars a touch, Rob.
  11. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob...
    What racks are those ? I've been looking at some Mosko ones which seem to have a similar backing plate.
    Triumph looks the biz. except for the tyres which do look a bit schitzo (nice description Ladder) I would've liked to have test ridden one, but the local distributers didn't seem interested in selling me a new bike. I really liked the 900 motor in my old Trophy, but it'd been quite extensively moddified :deal

While I'm here.... I still have a new genuine piston and rings for a Big, if someone wants it ?
  12. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gidday James, I gather you are talking about the large flat bits , I bought a small sheet of its called Tobi Tuff, or Toby Tough its just a bit flexable and about 4mm thick maybe 5 and it does not burn , easy to cut with a jig saw and easy to drill.
    I used stainless with rubber inserts that's how they come P clips to hold it to the racks and countersunk screwheads and nylock nuts .
    It is easy to make cut outs for the straps for soft bags where required and also knotch the top for keeping the straps in the right place that run across the seat.

Ray I put some Rox risers on it about 30mm up and 30mm back and it now has since the pic 15mm lower foot pegs, if the big out of 10 was 10 which they are also with risers , the trumpet now is only 9 for me .

Allso if any one is interested in the piston from James from memory its a standard one , correct me if I am wrong James ,anew barrel sleave can be bought from the states on Ebay or just google to find one .

Tobi Tuff is the bit on the bottom of stelleto shoes heels, I don,t wear them myself thanks .
  13. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,
    have been away for a few days.
    First a few words to the ones that are bothering with the dynamo and it's harness: contact Stefan at his www.dr-big-shop.de
    You can also discuss your probs with him and make good use of his experience.
    I myself spent a fun-weekend taking part in a 24 hour Mofa-Race off-road . Our team was formed by 5 riders (I was one of them), one mechanic and a very kind and nice line-up of supporters caring for us by helping us riders into or out of our riding-gear, making sure that we drank enough in the heat of the race and that we got something to eat. At last we finished 19 th of 36 teams although we had to spanner about 3 hours during the race. Taking that in account we could have finished 10th or so ...
    In the meantime, the Mofa's taking it's revenge on me: my left knee and hip are aching. Reminds me of being 57 years old ...
    Kind regards, Bambi
  14. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well done Bambi, its all about having a go , you are in the heat and we may get some snow above 600mts :eek1, and me and a few other blokes are camping this weekend luckily its further out west .
    some pic,s to follow.
  15. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yepp, didn't realize that it's winter-time down-under now. Wish you a nice weekend!
    Kind regards, Bambi
  16. kstklt

kstklt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi guys!

Greeting from Malaysia! Really glad to finally find a place to meet DR.Big owners and experts from all over the world!

I got my 1990 SR42A since last November, but it is not in a very ideal condition, mainly with the electronics. Right now, it wouldn't start and I fried my new battery while trying to figure out what happened ... could it be something short circuited? How do I find out what went wrong?

Before that happened, there was some problem with the key switch, sometimes after I turn on the key switch, there is no power (battery is perfectly new), but if i push the cockpit (speedo and ordo panel) or turn the steering a few times, the power will be back on. It seems like it is caused by poor wiring connection somewhere, but I couldn't find out where it is even though I take off the entire front fairing.

Here's some picture of the bike during my last ride, after this the power system stops working ... :cry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really miss riding this monster, would really need you guys help to make it come back alive!

best regards,
    Gunn
  17. spen

spen on my arse

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a broken wire at the back of the ignition barrel ! if you remove it and have a look i think you will find a loose connection :D good luck
  18. kstklt

kstklt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much! I would go have a better look at the ignition barrel then! Thank You! :clap

Should I just get a new ignition switch? Or is there any chance that it could be fixed by soldering the loose connection? I couldn't find any new ignition switch for DR800, but there are some OEM as well as after market ones for DR650, are they compatible?
  19. shanekfalcon

shanekfalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had exactly the same problem. The first time it was just a loose wire on the bottom of the ignition barrel. However later on it was also the internals as well and I've just replaced it. The ignition barrel for the DR800 is fairly expensive and the same part for the TS125R fits but the cables are short and need lengthening.
  20. kstklt

kstklt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey that is a great piece of information sir! As I remember my local part shops did mentioned they still keep some TS125 parts! Thank you so much shanekfalcon!

Do you think the lossen connection can cause short circuit that could fry the battery?