Pirelli Scorpion Syncs?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by atomic frog, Aug 30, 2008.

1. atomic frog

atomic frog pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer:
    I need new tires for my 06 Tiger. I am considering the scorpion syncs based on what I have read in some moto mags. Anyone tried them? 90% road 10% gravel is what they will see. I do not ride real aggressively on either surface.

I was not overly impressed with the stock Michelins, however, they did seem to wear well (9,000+ miles).
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    If the Michelin's you were not impressed with were Anakees, you'll have a hard time finding something better, because they are some of the best 90/10 choices for large dual sports... :deal

I have Scorpion Syncs, and they are a street tire with deep grooves, good on pavement not so good on dirt. I don't think they offer a significant advantage off-road over a "normal" street tire. They do have those deep groves which should be great when pavement is wet. Maybe a set of Tourances will work for you. I liked the Anakees much better, but some people prefer the Tourances slower turn-in rate.

Gustavo
  3. MIUC

MIUC From Dirt To Pavement

Oddometer:
    I´m about to hit 6K miles on Scorpion Syncs on my 06 Tiger. I had Anakees before.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The Scorps... they feel more stable than the Anakees when leaning. They cause the front end to wobble at everything over 90mph. They are good in rain. If I didn’t do long distance, and had curvy roads closer to home, I will keep the Scorps. <o:p></o:p>

The Anakees... move the bike a bit when leaning, and they follow every cranny on the road - that made me try a different tire. No wobble with the Anakees– at least up to 120 mph. Good in rain.<o:p></o:p>
    I’m going back to Anakees. I did just fine in curvy roads with them, and “I feel” they compliment the OEM suspension better. At the same suspension settings, the bike feels plusher with the Anakees. The Scorps punished me badly from day one. <o:p></o:p>
  4. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    The Syncs are good for any road biased "adventure bike" (Multistrada, Tiger, Uly, etc). Yeah they aren't any better than any other S-T tire off road (ie: close to useless), but they are very good on gravel or sand polluted pavement in addition to in the wet as already mentioned.
  5. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    I've got Scorps on my Guzzi Quota, they are the fourth set of tires and the fourth manufacturer I've fitted. I wish I had found them first, they wear great and inspire confidence in a 600lb dirt bike that only sees pavement. They are my tire choice from now on.:clap
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you plan on getting off pavement much at all the Scorps and Anakees both suck.
    Get something more aggressive like Trail Wings.
  7. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    The dude said he spends 90% on road and 10% or less on gravel/dirt roads. So a severe road bias is a good thing for street weenies like us.
  8. atomic frog

atomic frog pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer:
    The thing with the Anakees is that the front started cupping @ 5500 miles. They wore well otherrwise. They just didn't instill a lot of confidence when cornering, maybe it's just me..They were not very good in loose gravel either ( I know it's a big bike and not a dual sport) I preferred the Metzler Tourances on my 02 Tiger to the Michelins. Just looking for another alternative.
    Thanks for the reply's
  9. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are OEM on my Uly and they do inspire confidence in the riding you describe. I wore out the first rear at 7,500 miles and just replaced both tires. I need my third rear tire now, I'm at 6 thou on this one. I admit to abusing these tires. Ridden conservatively I would expect 8K plus for a rear. Don't know about the front as I usually replace both. My current front at 6,000 miles looks like it could go quite a bit more.
  10. Red_Chili

Red_Chili Fresh Ground

Oddometer:
    Luv the Scorps I put on my '06 Uly. VERY confidence inspiring on the road. Tried a pretty severe off road situation and they were ... lacking. But I expected that.

Next tire will be Scorps.
  11. danger_dave

danger_dave That's me

Oddometer:
    Ferked if I know how you blokes get 6,000+ miles out of a Scorp. I've worn them out in 2,500 - some lasted 3,500 - but not many.
  12. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scorps have done 9000km & still got a wee bit to go. Annakes finished in 5500 km. Scorps are a better road tyre, I also found the Annakees tended to walk when really pushed although they never let go
    Try to resist wringing the throttle Dave, might help tyre life but it's no fun
    American roads are way softer on tyres than down here in NZ
  13. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Crazy Guitarist

Oddometer:
    I had 5k miles on my Scorps under my old Buell S3T. They looked new and I rode that bike like I stole it.

JT
  14. danger_dave

danger_dave That's me

Oddometer:
    Que?
  15. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Si
    Que
    What
  16. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter

Oddometer:
    The sync's work great. I have run them on a few bikes and gotten good miles out of them and they will do ok on mlid dirt roads. The NEW Scorpion Trails are 95/5 tire and they work fantastic as street light off road tire. I have sold a few sets to customers on GS. ADV and SM and they are all very happy.

my.02 cents

zmotomann
  17. Guzzirider

Guzzirider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Stelvio came with Sport Synchs as standard fitment- I will be getting another set- excellent on the road!
  18. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have run Syncs on my Ulysses. They seem like fine tires from a handling standpoint, though I'm not one to drag pegs on wet pavement or anything.

The reason I am not currently running them is that they wear out too fast for my tastes (about 4k miles on the Uly.) I can get a least twice the mileage from the Continental Road Attacks I currently use.

The Road Attack doesn't have a motard tread like the Sync does. If that ability is important, the Sync is probably an excellent choice. If you don't care, you can probably find something with better life.
  19. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    I quickly discovered with my Uly that running a cupped front would cause front end wobble. I've had it with both D616 and Syncs. I now replace the front when it gets cupped, rather than waiting for it to hit the wear bars.
  20. MIUC

MIUC From Dirt To Pavement

Oddometer:
    The tire looks fine, though. Maybe it came damaged from the manufacturer...
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    My previous front Anakee cupped, but it did not cause wobbling. <o:p></o:p>
    I mentioned the wobble just in case - since the first post is about an 06 Tiger, the same bike I ride. Can a tire cause wobble in one bike and not another?<o:p></o:p>