Tiger 955i - Your Opinions

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by BHRBiker, Jul 14, 2001.

1. MTKNZ

MTKNZ Touring Kiwi

Oddometer:
    ooooohhhh boy that's not good
  2. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, nice surprise eh?

I am not in front of the bike, so I can't crawl in and take a look, but I am pretty sure that is what it looks like. I wonder if this is common on Tiger's? On the the other forum it was recommended to weld or replace with an ebay swing arm. I took a look and there was a '05 listed on ebay for $59.95 with $20 for shipping. Got it, so at least I have a low cost replacement (other than time to do the swap).

Dodged a bullet with that one...
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damnit, now I have to go look at my bike. My Sprint ST 1050 was recalled for something similar and sure enough the link had completely failed and lucky I didn't have a suspension failure.
  4. N9921X

N9921X Wins

Oddometer:
    I ride a 6 yr old tiger 1050 and find some buzziness too. I put on some grip puppies and it really helped. Kinda like waterski handles. Took about 2 ,minutes to get used to the larger diameter grip, but so be it.
  5. Roadinator

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a pair of grip puppies. Was also thinking of trying a crossbar? Cheapest things first, so grip puppies are on there way.
  6. Roadinator

Oddometer:
    Just an update. No crack in the swing arm, just a phantom pic scare you type of thing. On to swapping a tire and more riding!:wings
  7. Hatley Rocket

Hatley Rocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roadinator,

Your swingarm and shock are dirty, FYI.

I took my front forks apart, I wanted to change the oil to a heavier weight, and add pre-load spacers to stiffen up the front end. When I removed the internals, I was surprised to find a 6" to 7" long aluminum pre-load spacer already in the fork, along with a progressively wound fork spring. I think they came with "triple rate" springs, but these looked like they only had two separate windings. Anyway, for anyone who has had their '01 apart, are these what would be stock fork internals, or have these been upgraded to progressive or another aftermarket spring? Also, how much oil do I put back in? I've had the tubes upside down and pumped them quite a bit, so most of the oil is out. Should I go with 10w, 15w or 12.5w?

T
  8. Sir. Waffles

Sir. Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have an 2001 and put 12.5 wt oil in mine. I find it a little soft sometimes, I weight a good 205 lbs though and usually have luggage and/or passenger on. I feel if it wasn't for the brake dive I would be okay with it. I think I will be tweaking it as the season goes on, maybe a little more oil to help things out.
  9. mustang

mustang Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    10 weight oil with about an inch more of preload spacer on the springs works well................
  10. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Hatley Rocket

Hatley Rocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mustang,

Should I go with an even longer spacer, your serious then? I figured they were already pretty long. I don't want to affect the suspensions ability to use full stroke with jamming in preload stilts. I guess I'm still not sure if its already been fiddled with or if that's a factory setup.

Lvscrvs,

That's a lot of information! I have 10 wt oil, I guess I'll have to look at the brand and check the cst rating of the factory oil vs what I've got.

Thanks

T
  12. Sir. Waffles

Sir. Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rereading your post about you fork internals sounds similar to what I found in my 2001. I tried to find a picture of the internals but it seems to be the one thing I didn't take pictures of when I had the bike apart. I feel safe saying they were the originals based on what I know about the guy who owned the bike before me , had it from almost new. Inside was also about a 6 inch piece of pipe that looked like a fence post and progressive spring.

My Tiger had about 20,000 miles on it when I changed the oil. It was truly wore out, and made the forks unpredictable. Just changing the fluid I feel will make a difference for you, which has been my experience with other bikes. Also given the amount of time it takes to change the fluid and only cost 25$ for 2 liters. I would start at 12.5 wt or 10 wt (stock wt) and then if it doesn't suit you add more fluid or include a spacer. You won't know it until you try. For reference I used Maxima fork oil, just my 2 cents.
  13. PCK_4xCustoms

PCK_4xCustoms lost

Oddometer:
    :clap
    I'm the proud owner of an 01 girlie!!!!!

Just had to share.

Now to get some plates :deal
  14. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    and maybe some pictures! :deal :1drink
  15. PCK_4xCustoms

PCK_4xCustoms lost

Oddometer:
    Won it off an inmate. I'll try to get pics once I get home.
    But they can be found in the bikes FM

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody have a spare oil pan laying around the house??
  17. zoid

zoid Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer:
    Your pan isn't going to make it through the summer?
  18. vintagecycle

vintagecycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!
    I'm going to look at an '01 Green Meanie tomorrow...fingers crossed!
  19. MTKNZ

MTKNZ Touring Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Good luck
  20. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already tried thread sealant and rtv gasket maker on the bolt shoulder and washer. Held until operating temp. Going to try welding it up until it comes off backorder. Nobody has one in stock across the US, not even Baxter Cycles.