My DIY LEDs on the BV250

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ScramblerTom, Mar 27, 2011.

1. ScramblerTom

ScramblerTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    (I posted this over in Equipment but figured my fellow scooteristas would like to see it - so forgive the double post) I made these lights from strip LEDs, there are 4 strips (10" long) in each tail light. I folded the strips in half to made a box 5" wide with 8 lines of LEDs, I wired them in with quick connects and spliced these onto the main lines. So no original wiring changed. The LEDs are just as bright and the same colour, but now make me look like a bus from behind (that's was the intention). The box is just 0.05" aluminum that I folded into a shallow tray and filled with epoxy - totally weather proof. The box is attached to my Yak Racks with two sided tape, very solid with no need for fasteners.

Here they are as running lights
    [​IMG]

And the brake lights
    [​IMG]

The bottom row are the flashers.

Here they are unlit:
    [​IMG]

quick and easy and makes me look huge on the highway.
  2. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Nicely done!

Any chance you could do a write-up on how to fabricate the light units them selves? I'd like to make a 4 unit light for my Givi top case. It already has the lens and places for individual lights, I just need to figure out how to make a light strip.
  3. ScramblerTom

ScramblerTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    to be honest there was very little to it as I bought the light strips - they come as a 10" strip encased in clear PVC, I just lined the tray I made with them and encased it with epoxy. they come with a lead wire so you just have to heat shrink and crimp a quick connect on. it was quite a few hours of fiddly work but nothing very difficult.

If youy case already has a lens for a light you might be able to hot glue the strip where you want it behind the lens - I do not have a givi case so I can't help you there as my stock piaggio top box (POS) is just an overpriced tupperware with no way to incorporate lights.
  4. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tom. Perhaps I need to see if one of the guys that makes LED Strips will whip one up for me. The issue with the prefab strips is that the LEDs are too close together to work out-of-the-box. My Givi has a lens with the light sockets about 1/2" apart. IIRC, all of the pre-fab strips are closer, like 1/4" apart.