The FZ6R thread/info center

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by damasovi, Mar 7, 2013.

1. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Well I saw the FZ6 thread and read it all (except 2-4 pages) and only found negative stuff about the fz6R, negative in the sense of nobody wanting to talk about this bike because it is crap and stuff like that.

So i would like for owners to talk about their bikes the likes and dislikes of the bike, and if there is someone who went from this to the FZ6 or 8,1 if you like to compare it, then it is valid! just help us (the none and potential owner) to understand the case, words like "crap" or "cheap" do not help when comparing bikes unless you have been on the bike.

Ok, let's what you got!

Damasovi
  2. bogey78

bogey78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching this thread with interest. I would really like a FZ6 or FZ6R in the near future as it seems they fit my bike wants and needs in a comfortable ride. I too have heard the comments about how the FZ6 is a better bike than the FZ6R. I like them both and only really concentrated on the FZ6 because there are a lot of used examples in th $3K to $3500 range on the market. But now that the FZ6R has been around a few years, they are popping up on the used market more frequently. I'm a pretty conservative rider and doubt that I could even tell the difference in the two bikes from a performance standpoint. The seat does look more comfy on the older model. I also think the older model of the FZ6 looks better but I think I would be happy with either one.

I, too, would like to hear some real world owner reviews from the FZ6R riders.
  3. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I am not an R rider, but I did own the FZ6 for a while. It's a great bike, but the seat was BAD, at least for me. Corbin cured it. Other than that, I really had no issues with it. The only reason I got rid of it was because I was wanting a BMW (mistake) and SWMBO couldn't understand the need for more than one motorcycle.

When Yamaha came out with the R, the writing was on the wall for the FZ6. It was going away. I was disappointed, and like many in the FZ6 crowd, immediately wrote the R off as "crappy".

I was wrong. I have come to see that the R is a very nice bike in it's own right. It gets great reviews, and is a better competitor against the Ninja 650 and the GSX650 than the FZ6 was. Not because it's a better bike than the FZ6, but because it is a better bike than either of those and allows Yamaha some room to compete on price. Yamaha came out with the FZ8, and the way I see things, that is the replacement for the FZ6.

I think the R is a great looking bike, and I like the under belly muffler much better than the under seat mufflers on the FZ6. It runs smaller (less expensive) tires than the FZ6, and I assume insurance would be a bit less, but who knows?
  4. Brian O.

Brian O. n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 FZ6R and really like my bike. I think it has good power, handling, and brakes . Being older ( 50 ) it suits me well and I feel very comfortable riding it. It feels very stable on the highway and I have ridden it in a bad rain storm where it performed excellent. The seats not great, but i will get a airhawk to correct that. overall, a good solid economical bike that runs flawlessly.
  5. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian,

THank you for your psot, it is helpful!

Damasovi
  6. single

single Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having ridden both the FZ6 and FZ6R I can say without a doubt in my opinion the FZ6R is a much superior motorcycle for the demographic it's aimed at. That is a budget street oriented street motorcycle. I've also noticed the legion of people who seem to automatically assume the FZ6 is the better motorcycle based on the stat sheet (FZ6 has more horsepower! FZ6 has aluminum frame! etc) and who constantly put down the FZ6R as a crap bike but in reality, the FZ6R is way more refined. It has a better clutch, a smoother engine, a more exploitable powerband, the steel frame actually improves balance and mass centralization - and it just overall rides and feels like a much better motorcycle. The best way I can describe it is it feels as if the FZ6 was a bike developed in the late 90s, with all the quirks those bikes had. The FZ6R feels like a modern motorcycle up to today's higher standards.

Still the FZ6 is a great bike, and with used prices so low it is a pretty screaming deal used especially compared to a new FZ6R which is a bit expensive - I just think the owners should stop bashing the new bike so much especially considering from what I can tell most haven't even ridden it.
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl That's good stand-up there.

True!

I have... The R is no where near the bike the FZ6 is. :D
  8. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I new someone would point it out so I have to ask. Steel vs aluminum frame, what are the diferences besides the weight? I have a KLR and I asumme it has a steel frame since it was design in the middle 80's with standard if not old tecnology for that time which makes it late 70's?

HP is a personal thing here in ADV someone mention the HAYABUSA makes "decent" power, OMFG! if that bikes just makes "decent" power... everything else must be a bicycle.

I read the 6 has like around 80 hp vs the 6R 60's? but in order to get all 80 you must rev it past 7-8k rpms , how is the 6R making the ponies? low around 3-6 k rpm?

I also read the 6 can be on the vibeby side, right? and the 6R?

Damasovi
  9. single

single Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a nice article about some of the history of steel vs. aluminum in racing and some of the advantages and disadvantages that racers commented on.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2003/05/21may03steeltrellisframe/

It's not as black and white as aluminum is always better just because it's lighter. The FZ6 with the undertail exhaust had some seriously wacky balance issues.
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  11. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    bump!
  12. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife got a new FZ6R last year. I didn't want to like it, I was mad that Yamaha quit making the original FZ6. Then I rode it and fell in love with the bike. It's smooth and has great torque for a 600. On our test ride with me on my vfr750 and her on the FZ6R, it flat out walked away from my stock VFR on a 60mph top gear roll. It has decent suspension for a budget bike, the brakes are more than adequate and its COMFORTABLE to ride. Even the exhaust note is acceptable, and I generally hate the sound of a buzzy inline 4. The only think I think it needs is a larger tank.

It may well be my next bike if I ever decide to sell my VFR750. (not hers, but another one)
  13. jearnshaw

jearnshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I myself just purchased a leftover 2012 FZ6R about a month ago and since then I have put about 2000 miles on her and I still love riding it....

I do agree the stock seat does need some attention, I did a 1000 mile round trip and I could only run about 100 miles before I have to get off and walk around for a minute or two before getting back on.

Gas millage gas been great, I have been averaging close to 50 mpg but I know the speedo is off by 5 mph so I am sure the fuel millage is closer to 45 46 mpg which isn't too bad.

For the horsepower it has fine to me where as this is the fastest bike I have been on to date. I had a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 for about 6 months before this so yeah my FZ6R feels a lot better. But I have ridden many different bikes before my Shadow.

All in all I am very happy with the bike....yes there is a lot better options out there but not as comfortable or offer as good fuel millage. And the price is great as well so it leaves you money left over to upgrade the bike the way you want it.
  14. pinarello rider

pinarello rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just put a deposit down on a 2012 Yamaha FZ6R. It was a good deal from a shop right around the corner from me and I can't wait. Hopefully pick it up this week.

I was looking to replace my '02 883 Sportster with another sportster as the one I have is someone upright, and there are good dealer networks. Lots of support, and the 883, all things considered, is pretty bulletproof, if uninspiring from a performance standpoint. So I decided to open up my options a bit, just for giggles, and found a shop that had the new Honda CBR500's, a FZ6r, and a Kawasaki ENR6. Really liked the upright seating position and the ergonomics of all of them. They all reminded me a lot of my road bike from a position standpoint. I know I can ride for hours like that, so I'm good with it. Found another shop that had a leftover marked down quite a bit, and decided to pull the trigger.

My goals: build a sport-tourer for commuting mostly, but I do hope to hit the blueridge mountains and some of the country roads around here for some touring. I expect to had a trunk, maybe some hardbags, and enjoy it.

I'll post some picks when I go to pick up the bike.

Anyhow - see you on the road.
  15. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    congats amigo!!!

when you get some miles on the FZ let's us know what you feel, like, dislike or any toughs!

I hope you like ti!!

Damasovi
  16. BCinMD

BCinMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also looking at the FZ6R and am talking to a local dealer that has a 2009 with 3300 miles on it. He's asking $4700 for it...if I can get it for $4400 OTD I'll get it.

I really like a lot about this bike - great ergos, good power, smooth inline 4, luggage options, and it looks good!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
  17. jearnshaw

jearnshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of the Blue ridge mountains...if you ever make your way down to NC I live on the Parkway and can show you some good roads to visit on.

And I am as well making my bike into a sport-tourer as well. I just got my seat re-foamed with some better foam and I have a touring windshield on order.
  18. pinarello rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer!! I don't know how far I'll get - with family responsibilities, I have to keep the Pinarello Rider solo weekends to a minimum. I think I am going to go the Givi route for the rear-top pack, and possibly a Kreiga daypack for the rear seat. Thinking about saddle bags, but not so sure for the moment. We'll see what happens.

Going to get bike in 1.5hours. Excited.
  19. pinarello rider

Oddometer:
    Ah crap. Slight hiccup, have to postpone.
  20. pinarello rider

Oddometer:

Picked up the bike this afternoon and went for a nide. I think she and I going to get along well - she's let's me ride her whenever *I* want. :evil

Nice ride all the way around. I foresee many happy miles together.