'03 Sherco 2.9 vs '01 Montesa 315

Discussion in 'Trials' started by dirtymartini, Nov 10, 2009.

1. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer:
    I am ready to pull the trigger on one of these bikes...I can have the Montesa for $1600 or the Sherco for $2000. Of course I want to get the most bike for the money...
  2. uhoh7

uhoh7 wingnut killer

Oddometer:
    If they are in the same condition, I'd go for the sherco.
  3. dirtymartini

Oddometer:
    That's what I am thinking right now...
  4. uhoh7

uhoh7 wingnut killer

Oddometer:
    I'm not really familar with the 315 cota (good bike--some guys swear by them), but the 03 sherco 2.9 is basicaly state of the art even today.

You won't have any parts problems aside from $, hehe.

http://www.rypusa.com/

It's awesome bike: 153lbs

[​IMG]

The monty: 160 lbs

[​IMG]

And in case you think I'm partial, my ride:

[​IMG]
  5. Shercoman

Shercoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a new 2002 Sherco 2.9 and loved it.I rode the Montesa several times.
    They have a different feel to me. The Sherco always felt very light in the front and the Monty felt heavy to me. You really should try to ride both to see what you personally like better.
    They are both good bikes but I like the Sherco better.

I now have a 2005 Sherco 3.2 four stroke.

And for all of you that are wondering....it starts way easier than my 2.9 ever did.

Good luck!
  6. uhoh7

uhoh7 wingnut killer

Oddometer:
    hehe, I've heard that said about 2.9s......usually by GG guys responding to slurs about reliablity.
  7. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 315R is a better beginner bike. The 2.9 can be a real handfull.
  8. uhoh7

uhoh7 wingnut killer

Oddometer:
    I bet that beta is sweet
  9. dirtymartini

Oddometer:
    A handfull in what way???
  10. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the 2.9s feel softer than the Montesa in power delivery. They both have a different feel to them while riding. Both are great bikes. On the Sherco look up around the lower head tube on the sides and upper radiator mount/crossbar in the middle. The shercos are VERY prone to cracking here.
  11. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my experience the Montesa is much softer on the bottom and a very stable, planted bike. The Sherco has great clutch action, but seems to have less flywheel weight for a faster pickup right from idle. The Sherco is a better bike for hopping, the Montesa better if you want to keep the tires on the ground and learn how to turn.
  12. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are right on that. The sherco is zippy on the bottom. But what I am talking about is this. The sherco shuts down easy. It is probably the lighter flywheel. Hop up a wall and it is mellow when you hit the top. At least the couple 2.9s I rode were like this. The montesa just is getting going at this point. This is where things go wrong if you are a little slow on the clutch control. And it will drag your ass away with it too. Don't ask how I know:rofl

You can't go wrong with either one. Pick the one that is in better shape.
  13. dirtymartini

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the good info so far...keep it coming. The Sherco looks to be in better condition, is two years newer and I have a dealer about an hour away...

I haven't ridden a trials bike in over thirty years (yeah I'm getting to be an old bastard!) and don't know if I will ever compete although the thought is there. I used to race Enduros but the problem these days is finding somewhere to ride legally. There is a 2 or 3 acre piece of land right across from my house that has a stream running through it with a lot of big logs across the trail and a couple of small steep hills. Too small of an area for a dirt bike put perfect for a trials bike.
  14. jbrownmxr

jbrownmxr Gas Passer

Oddometer:
    I had a few long conversations with Adrian Lewis of Lewisport regarding this very topic. I was looking into an extra bike as a loaner to buddies wanting to try trials.

He basically said the Montesa (01) was better build quality, better machining and metalurgy, and much better suspension. He said the parts on average were cheaper too. I went with the Montesa and could not be happier.
  15. dirtymartini

Oddometer:
    Well, I just came back from looking at the Sherco. Actually I had every intention of buying it but it was a little rougher than what the pictures showed...that and anti-freeze was leaking from the tell-tale hole. Another thing that turned me off was the dry chain...if you can't take the time to lube the chain, especially when you are trying to sell the bike, what else have you neglected?

I am going wednesday to look at the Montesa...I hope this turns out a little better. I drove 1 1/2 hours today and came home with an empty trailer!
  16. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMHO the Montesa has beter build quality. Power supply is very smooth.
    The Sherco is less compact and easier to do simple carb adjustments.
    If you plan to do much trail riding the Montesa only has a 5 speed and has a very big gap from 3rd - 4th, the Sherco has the far better tranny for trail use.
    Nothing wrong with either bike.
  17. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    I had an '03 290 and felt the gear ratios were wrong. As a bigger guy (240lbs) there were many climbs where 4th was too tall and 3rd wrung out too soon. I rarely used 1st and the engine was torquey enough that most tighter sections could be tackled in 2nd and 3rd. In another thread you were asking about the 280 Easy. I had a '97 280 Easy and when I think back, oddly enough I liked the Scorpa better. That Rotax hit hard!
    Neither bike gave a hint of trouble. If I were you, I'd find a Monty 315... only because I've never owned one.:D
  18. dirtymartini

Oddometer:
    I have found one...an '03...and hope to snag it tomorrow. The only bad part is I have to drive three hours to go get it.
  19. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I hope it works out for you. Driving long distances to look at bikes is one of my least favorite things.
  20. dirtymartini

Oddometer:
    Yes it did...I posted a pic in the Montesa 315 thread...