2014 Ural vs. 2013 R1200GSA

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Zeid, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Zeid

Zeid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013 R1200GSA Adventure, Triple Black. Great bike, but it's awfully big and cumbersome. I can thwack it around just fine, rip up trails on it, etc. But the big thing is, MOST of my riding, is done around the suburbs of North Phoenix, cruising along lightly and some times riding out to nearby towns. Riding around these areas on this huge and tall bike some times feels- I don't know how to word it. It's like taking a aircraft carrier for a cruise around the lake.

The other thing I fancy is off road exploration, trail riding and hope to get some camping done here soon. Again, two up it can be a bit stressful at times. Not impossible or even difficult, it just seems to take some of the fun out of it.

Bearing these things in mind, I've considered possibly getting a 2014 Ural. I'm wondering what people who own them would say to such a notion, hopefully people who've owned big adventure bikes. The Ural just looks like a really fun, eye catching bike that is ready for exploring, adventuring, camping and easy afternoon cruising around.

Are they comfortable for the rider? I'm 6'0 and a bit under 200 pounds.

I hear there are a lot of improvements for the 2014's but one thing concerns me, I'd LOVE to have the desert camo paint job. Seems that with Urals they have always given people a ton of paint options but the 2014's only give a few very very bland ones. Surely they didn't actually take the previous ones away and are only adding some new ones? Does anyone have some factual information on this?

Thanks for any help!
  2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 Ural and it fits my 5'11" 210 lbs just fine. Many seat options including the HD police seat are available.
    Go spend some time at Soviet Steeds for 2014 information.
    People there are just starting to get them.
    You can special order just about any color if that is important to you but ???.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32514

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32178

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32526

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30634
  3. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Hi Zeid,
    I'm the same size as you, maybe an inch shorter. Both my brother and I had GSAs a few years back. We kind of felt the same as you even though we've been riding all kinds of bikes since the 70s. I've had a few Urals now and have yet to have a problem except for one rear brake light switch. I agree that it's a shame they don't still offer the Gobi. It should have just turned into an extra charge color instead of being eliminated.

[​IMG]
  4. Zeid

Zeid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, if the colors they are offering now for the 2014 gear ups (which is the one I'd get) are the only options there's no way I'd get one. They are all very ugly which is strange, because Urals are kind of known to have awesome looking paint jobs...
  5. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I have no issues with my carbs or 2 drum brakes. I feel that my front Brembo works as good as the front drum on my 2002 Ural. Both bikes stop well.
    I'm not going to argue that the '14s are not better. I bet there are some good deals on new '13s out there. Fly and ride like I did.
  6. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a -11 Gobi and had only details problems: bad clutch actuator, rear brake switch and car tire rubbing... All changed under warranty... I 'd love a 14 but will keep mine: new colors are butt ugly!!
  7. redtails

redtails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've not heard of the issue with the sidecar tire, would you explain further? Thanks.
  8. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    Look at the colors in person before you right them off...(my .02)

and

You can special order 1 color paint for an extra grand.

As a current Ural owner the old colors were getting pretty tired...I'm really glad they have changed things up.
  9. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's no law that you can't own both a Ural and a GS :D
    I now see you are 6'0, I had read it as 60 (my bad).
    For myself, if it came down to one or the other, the hack stays.
    The GS can't pull this off:

[​IMG]

Jim
  10. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:

Suddenly the tire was rubbing on a bolt in the fender... Ski took the wheel off , the swing arm without finding anything... Tire was changed, everything re tight to specs and voilĂ !! Part of the Gremlins?!
  11. jwsparkes

jwsparkes n00b

Oddometer:
    I own one of each. A 2012 Gobi desert Gear Up and a 2013 Tripple Black GSA. I brought the URAL first (I wanted the GS at the time but couldn't afford it). I took the URAL on a 6500kms trip around Central Aust on my own. I had absolutely no issues. The URAL is great for camping/travel at your own pace (which is rather slow and can be tiring), but you can carry a mountain of gear. I had camping equipment, tools, spares, 55L fuel total, a 21L waeco car fridge and 32amp hour battery, camp kitchen and such etc. The spare wheel, plus two spare tyres/tubes.

The GS, while still used for touring, its a different style. I have the BMW aluminium panniers, and while these can also carry a heap of stuff you can't go crazy while gear like with the URAL. The plus side of the GS is it's speed and comfort.

Putting aside the two different styles of riding, the URAL gives me the biggest grin factor! They are both extremely satisfying machines to own.

My 2 cents, do what I did and get one of each! You won't regret it....
  12. Zeid

Zeid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Believe you me folks, even though I have a 2013 BMW MoneyCruncher I'm not super wealthy, it's just how I prioritize. I can afford one toy payment to be able to keep a nice car and place to live, so I'd have to get rid of the Bimmer.

I do want something that makes me happy to ride. A happy 10 mile ride around the neighborhoods can be way more fulfilling than a 1000 mile ride through the most scenic countryside in the world if you're on the right or wrong machine. The BMW is a all out joy to take cross country, but just as a daily bike it feels like I'm navigating it, not riding it. I still love it and if I must keep it I won't be sad, but I've often looked for something that can not only be good for adventuring and travel but just fun to put around this side of town on.

Although I can't even get the missus out of the sidecar at the dealership, are they fun to ride solo as well?
  13. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    the asphalt color is pretty neat, and would lend itself to easily be turned into a camo scheme with some flat colored 3m vinyl.
  14. Zeid

Zeid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't mind tinkering but I don't really want to go doing a self done paint job on a brand new motorcycle. If it really is 1 grand to get whatever paint job you want, will they do it themselves? Sounds worth it.

Also, are the "patrol" models as capable off road as the gear up?
  15. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    NO! That shovel and searchlight you get with the gear up make it vastly superior off road!

Pretty sure the 3M vinyl that villageidiot referred to peels right off
  16. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worrying about the color of a Ural seems kinda silly to me.:D
    Get it muddy for the camo look.
  17. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could also just add a sidecar to your GSA, they make great sidecar bikes. We can do this for you as can Claude. It all depends on just what your needs are. We have 3 different sidecars for the GSA, Our M72D, M72DX and Expedition sidecars which we can either assemble here for you or ship to you for you or some one local to you to install. We have steering modifications as well as an interchangeable automotive rear wheel.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  18. Zeid

Zeid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The color is super important to me! :D

Also, those sidecars look really cool, but I guess a big appeal about the ural is the "classic sidecar" style of old Europe.
  19. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zeid, sounds as though you have growing pains, glad I'm not the only one.

First about your paint concerns. You will be looking at that paint job far more often than riding it. Get the color or design you want. Some say you'll grow into loving something, it didn't work w/ my third wife. Get your color.

Our spot light is used every time we return during the dark hours. Deer, Elk, cattle, sheep, horses & other 4 legged disasters looking for a vehicle to collide w/. Open range is a neat way to get to really feel nature at its worst & best.

We have a GU-11, (our 2nd GU) & a GS, the same feeling about the BMW being sometimes larger than life is here too.

But not looking back about having our GU-11, well maybe one warranty issue.

The Ural better suits my needs to go exploring & knowing I feel a better chance to return on the same Ural power that I started out w/.
    You'll really enjoy your reverse.

Reading what you psoted about $ being as they are, I'd look to a slightly earlier Ural w/ the paint you want. You will save thousands. You could also get one w/ a lot of goodies attached to it & really score there too. There are many Gear Up & Patrol owners who for whatever reason are ready to sell their units w/ little or no actual 2wd usage. NOT MINE !

You'll find too Ural riders will usually go out of their way to help w/ better understanding the whole Uraling thing. You'll have major fun & so too your wife. Just take it easy in the beginning.
  20. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the color you want!!! It is YOUR toy not anyone else!!