What's the right bike for tails around here?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by R Doug, Jul 29, 2014.

1. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Good by Ural, hello trees?
  2. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:
    It&#8217;s a long story, but I have given up street riding after many years and hundreds of thousands of miles on two (and recently three) wheels. I&#8217;ve had the fortune of many miles of smiles with no incidences to note. But, over the recent past, I&#8217;ve had too many close calls on the BMW and the Ural, including being hit from the side by a car on the BMW (thank goodness I kept it upright). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

But, I can&#8217;t give up riding. So, I would like to at least get back to the woods on trails where I don&#8217;t have to be concerned about &#8220;the other guy.&#8221;<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

Just after getting the Ural, I&#8217;ve had more close calls with other drivers than I care for. I would easily go as far as saying that I&#8217;ve had more close calls in the last 12-18 months than I have had in all my years and hundreds of thousands of miles before that. <o:p></o:p>

The last close call I experienced had the front wheel of the Ural underneath the bed of a flatbed tow truck. Had it been a bus, we would have made contact. I was watching the wheels of the truck as he rolled up to the T intersection and they came to a complete stop. I started to relax and then the truck just pulled out in front of us (making a left towards us). At that point, I thought, &#8220;Are you kidding me!?&#8221; while also thinking, &#8220;holy shit I am going to hit this guy.&#8221;<o:p></o:p>
    Once the rig came to a complete stop with my helmet right at the side of the flatbed, I looked over to Sheri to make sure she was OK and thought to myself, &#8220;this is it, I&#8217;m done. I can&#8217;t ride anymore.&#8221;<o:p></o:p>
  3. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    A smart person knows when to say when.
    If you get up to the Fancy Gap area give me a call - I know a road or two.
  4. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:

You bet, thanks!