Charlotte: Ride Planning, 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet and General Hooliganism

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by JoeyBones, Nov 5, 2009.

1. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    A handful of hooligans here in the Queen City get together on the third Thursday of each month to eat pizza, tell lies about their riding prowess, brag about their latest farkles and plan a ride or two.

Hawthorne's Pizza at 1701 E. 7th St. is sorta kinda centrally located re: North vs. South, etc. and has some of the best pizza in town.

As always, the last few pages of this thread will have the latest on local rides - dirt or street or both. - Joe

MEET-UP ON THE THIRD THURSDAY OF EACH MONTH AT HAWTHORNE'S (1701 E. 7th ST). AROUND 6 PM FOR MOST FOLKS BUT SHOW UP WHEN YOU CAN! THE UPCOMING SCHEDULE IS:

2024: January 18th * February 15th * March 21st * April 18th * May 16th * June 20th * July 18th * August 15th * September 19th * October 17th * November 21st * December 19th

2025: January 16th * February 20th * March 20th * April 17th * May 15th * June 19th * July 17th * August 21st * September 18th * October 16th * November 20th * December 18th

RCmoto likes this.
  2. tacoma87

tacoma87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im pretty sure I am in....I hate to pick teams with two conflicting dinners but Fridays usually dont work for me so I will commit to this one for now....Also asked you in a PM but I am sure others will be interested....Is this going to be wife friendly?

Ben
  3. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
  4. bpg

bpg Off Trail

Oddometer:
    Charlotte, NC (summer back home in western PA)
    Cool stuff - already have about 8 folks from the CR forum looking to join up, and I can think of a few more that haven't posted up yet! :clap

Gonna be a good time!:freaky
  5. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    Wife-friendly AND girlfriend-friendly (not at the same time of course).

:rofl
  6. lostmarbles

lostmarbles Long timer

Oddometer:
    dam i can't have them there at the same time :huh :lol3 :lol3
  7. bpg

bpg Off Trail

Oddometer:
    Dang - this is growing fast! Now there are at least 12 folks hoping to make this grip-'n-grin from the Carolina Riders Forum. :freaky C'mon out ADVers in the Charlotte area - meet, eat, and spin yarns all evening!
    :clap
  8. puddle jumper 2

puddle jumper 2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    new here today and glad to see some one has got this together sounds like a plan underway. i will be there with maybe 3 to 4 others.:clap
  9. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    Excellent! I stopped by there today and spoke to one of the Managers - they look forward to seeing us on Thursday. I'll post up tomorrow with some parking info etc.

:freaky
  10. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    There's only about 5 or 6 parking spaces out front, and then there's ample parking in the back. Most of the areas in the back are OK for parking after 5 PM, except for the one gravel lot (not that I like parking on gravel anyway). The gravel lot is off limits.

Look forward to seeing a few folks Thursday eve!
  11. Wanderer13

Wanderer13 2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer:
    Looks like I will not be able to attend this one. You guys have fun.
  12. bpg

bpg Off Trail

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff - I'll try to get there around 6 and park tightly into the corner of a space. Feel free to cram as many bikes behind/beside it as possible, just try not to knock any mud er dead birds off the bike, OK??:wink:
    NCWufman likes this.
  13. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    I will do the same. In fact, maybe I'll get there at 5, block off TWO spaces in the front and take my every-Thursday-at-5PM-conference call from the parking lot. Or the bathroom. Or the street corner.

HEY! Maybe I could find some of those those little orange traffic cones.....
  14. bpg

bpg Off Trail

Oddometer:
    sounds good! gonna be nice out today, so whoever gets there first maybe see if we can get a few tables outside. :thumb Lot easier to converse, move around, pull up chairs, etc. if we are out o' doors.

I think there are 2 outside areas, maybe they'll let us "occupy" the Hawthorne St side?

I'll likely be wearing a white Fuzzy Beaver Rally shirt, see y'all this evening! :clap
  15. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    I had a great time this evening and enjoyed meeting everyone. - Special kudos to Caroleen (NavyCoat) for wobbling out in her full-length leg cast!

In the future I won't be so formal as to get everyone's name and "handle", but it helps me to learn names and stuff when I first meet folks. Present and accounted for at the first "Charlotte / Pizza / 3rd Thursday", from both ADV and the Carolina Riders forum were...

VFRCAUV, BPG, rocketman1098S, NavyCoat, Livermush, XRsquared, Jeff2051, puddle jumper 2, Mike Dap, MachVIII, NascarVirgin, SgtMike and of course yours truly JoeyBones.

I think a Billion pictures were taken - POST 'EM UP!!

And a special thanks to co-host and official CR forum liaison, BPG (aka BPGxx).
  16. puddle jumper 2

puddle jumper 2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was nice to meet all in person at the first dinner party :clap .I would like to see it grow and we can plan some group dual sport rides
  17. bpg

bpg Off Trail

Oddometer:
    Had a great time! :clap

Here are some pics I lifted from Bill (VFRCauv) on the Carolina Riders Forum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 folks - pretty good for a chilly night in November! :deal

As mentioned, plenty of us are planning on doing some great riding this winter: Brown Mtn, Brushy Mtn, Wilson's Creek area, and maybe an overnighter to Buzzard's Roost/Hurricane Creek/Chataloochee - so keep yer eyes and ears on the ready :freaky
  18. vfrcauv

vfrcauv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread. Was going to post about Pizza night, but won't need to now! :wink:

Looking forward to riding with & meeting everyone.

Here is a shot of Lost Cove Creek, guess that's the creek name, close to Pineola FR between Mortimer & Pineola taken last month by a fellow Adventurer.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of Wanderer and Driller fixing a tire on Maple Sally Road last year. :D

[​IMG]
  19. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    Bump for the December meet-up! Third Thursday (17th) @ Hawthorne's...

Hey Brendan - I posted this up in CR as well...

I'm pleased to say that the November get-together led to plans for me to ride one day soon with Bill (vfrcauv) and volunteer at the SandBlast rally in February with SgtMike. Hope to see a few folks on the 17th.
  20. vfrcauv

vfrcauv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Count me in for the 17th. :D