Garmin Sux!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dolly Sod, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously, someone help me out here.

A few weeks ago I re-installed the OS on my desktop (windows, duh..)

Anyway I'm finally getting around to re-loading all my garmin maps.

Roads and Rec, check.
    Topo, Check.
    City Navigator 2009.1... Nada.

What?

2009.1 was an update to my unit from when I first purchased it. I Downloaded the update and saved the 2gig file on my computer. In the past all I've had to do to reinstall CN on my computer was to run the CN2009.1 .exe file wait while it unpacked it, enter the product code, hook up my 478 and it would load the maps onto my computer and spend an hour or so re-loading them onto the 478. Not today, not yesterday, not last weekend. It asks for all the normal info, asks to hook the unit up, recognizes the unit then starts to communicate the stops and says "there's trouble connecting with server call garmin help".

I call garmin help this afternoon and the guy tells me that since my CN2009.1 is so old it is no longer on their servers so they can't verify the software so I can't install it on my computer.

He says all I need to do it purchase the latest download update $50 and that'll fix it.

:eek1

Seriously?! Yes I have no doubt that purchasing a new product will "fix" my broken product. Or will it? Since the download process has changed over the last 3 years, I am under the impression that nowadays without a DVD the only thing to get updated with a download is the unit maps. The download will not load new maps on my compter, no?

What the fuck is up with having to buy new maps just to unlock the maps that I've been using for the last 3 years with no problem?

And is Garmin help leading me down the path of wasting my cash on purchasing maps that I can't use in map source/base camp because they're downloads?

Anyone? I'm a tad pissed about this.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I take it you never registered your device or map products at my.garmin.com(?).

In general, this is a "process" issue that Garmin has created to nullify your out-of-date maps. The good news is that they are still on your 478 and unlocked to that device. Therefore, if you start BaseCamp and connect your 478, those maps will be read by BaseCamp and you can use them in that manner. Not always the handiest way to use your maps but it should work OK.

On the other hand, it is Garmin's problem not yours. You should escalate the issue past the first line tech (they are just doing what their computer program tells them to do). If you connect your 478 to your computer and let the Prod Support person take control of the computer they can "see" that the 478 has an unlock code for the 2009.10 map set. They should be able to then generate an unlock code for that product for you to install on your computer.

PS, By the way, if their systems will not do the above any longer, I would not purchase any DOWNLOAD map product as it will not install on your computer and will only cause problems in the future. Only purchase DVD's and register the product at my.garmin.com. At least then you can recover the unlock code even if their server can't generate a new one.

PPS, Backup your UNLOCK CODES!

Cheers,
  3. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    This may not work on a PC, it definitely does not work on a Mac. I don't think the 478 or older Street Pilots can be read by BaseCamp. This is something that is Nuvi/Zumo forward only IIRC.
  4. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I've had the 478 registered since December 2008 when I got it. I've also got my 76C registered.

I also have all my unlock codes, a lot of good they are doing me.

Earlier I noticed that on garmins "myMaps" it lists both my units, shows City Navigator 2009.1 for the 478 but doesn't have any maps associated with my 76C. I had City Select 6 & update to 7 for that unit. I just tried installing CS 6 & 7(DVD's). That worked but not really. I used the unlock key so both mapsets are on my computer, but they are still locked. I tried unlocking them online where you enter the unit ID, Serial Number and Product key. No Go. "Unable to unlock map(s) for unit." :cry

So yes, the maps are still on my 478, and whatever I loaded onto the 76C is still there (not like I use the unit anyway really), but now I can't create routes in Mapsource/Basecamp because I don't have a routable mapset anymore.

I think I ran into this issue with my 76C last time I reinstalled the OS and managed to get around it by only installing the seriously out of date mapsource that accompanied City Select 6 & 7 until I'd fully unlocked them to my unit. I'll try that so that maybe I'll be able to create routes again.

bleh..

When I find time I will call Garmin back and attempt to escalate above the first tier tech.

double bleh..

So buy your mapsets on DVD's keep your unlock codes safe, and still you won't be able to use them 3-4 years down the line because Garmin requires you to do the final unlock online and they are deleting their databases.

triple bleh..
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Well, you may be correct re: the 476 not being read by BaseCamp. It would be interesting to run JaVaWa Device Manager with the 478 connected to see if it can read the maps and set them to Visible in BaseCamp.

Cheers,
  6. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    He is correct.
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. I went through something similar last week. Or the week before.

I have 2009 maps on my zumo and I've been using them on basecamp. Got a new computer, and Garmin is telling me I'm SOL. Buy the latest DVD or shove your GPS up your ass. Funny part is that I also had Europe maps on the sd card of my zumo. Those transferred onto my new computer, but not NA.
    Go figure.

It's ridiculous the hoops they make you jump through. I don't think Garmin realizes its 2012 and other companies are doing nav better than they are. It's only a matter of time before the monopoly falls out from under their feet. Seriously, once all the GPS apps start giving us basecamp esque programs or allow us to use Google Maps, Garmin will be toast. It'll be more economical to buy a throw away phone for nav than one of their over priced units.

I plan on eventually going above the first guy on the phone to deal with my issue, but I haven't had the spare 90 min to do that recently:huh Calling Garmin is a serious investment in ones time.
  8. FullSpectrum

FullSpectrum n00b

Oddometer:
    What's even more unfortunate about this situation is that companies like Garmin (and MANY others) don't realize that this is why people hate copy protection mechanisms and DRM. Somebody goes and *finds* a copy online and it'll always work, meanwhile you payed for it and they're so far refusing to allow you to use it.

Sorry I can't be of much help, but good luck with Garmin support. I can't possibly imagine they've really removed the ability to unlock it, I'd certainly hope it's just what the lower support levels are told to say to try to sell updates...and potentially lose customers.
  9. FixerDave

FixerDave KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer:
    If you think DRM is bad on consumer devices, you should try it in an enterprise environment. I loathe it with a passion, blogged about it here in frustration: teaspoon-of-sewage. At least at home, a guy can just go "screw it" and pick up a pirated copy that actually functions. That's not an option at work. :baldy

Why any company would attempt to sell stuff that's harder to get and harder to use than the pirated copies freely available on the web is beyond me. How removed from contemporary society can these corporate types be?

David...
  10. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    Yup!:wink: If you can't beat'em join em :D.
    Don't waste much time getting mad at Garmin, just go around them :deal you will be much happier.
    Flexibility is the essence of happiness.
  11. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Well, to follow up on this. I spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with Garmin. The lady was very helpful, and tried everything she could do, short of giving me a new map set, to get my CN2009 to work. No go. Since I have to actually connect to garmin's servers to activate my maps and since garmin's servers can no longer unlock those maps, I'm SOL. If I had gotten the DVD instead of the download back in 2009 I would probably be able to use the maps. I wouldn't be able to unlock them with Garmin's website but I could use mapsource's unlock wizard to get to them. I say this because she did show me how to get my old City Select v6 & v7 working with the unlock wizard.

I stopped short of throwing a temper tantrum and asking to speak with her boss etc. It's not my style and I believe she was doing everything she could to get my 2009 maps activated.

So, now I'm trying to decide if I should get a DVD update or the full shebang. If I get the update I'm worried that if I need to re install it in the future that there won't be evidence of having CN2009 so the update won't install. I know that I couldn't ever install my City Select 7 update until I'd installed City Select 6.

Bleh..