1981 Montessa Cota 349 just bought

Discussion in 'Trials' started by wardie, Jul 9, 2013.

1. wardie

wardie 2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer:
    I just bought a nice 1981 Montessa Cota 349. Bike runs but carb will flood if you leave gas on without engine not running.

My first Montessa where is the best place to find parts and advice quickly. I'd like to try my hand at the Vintage TRials at Mid Ohio. I'll post a seond question about the event. Thanks Wardie
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the states it`s southwest montesa or rocky mountain. Both are online email only. The carb mainly depends on band. Either a float adjustment and carb clean will do it. Or you might need a needle and seat. Would be a great bike to compete on. I just got rid of a 200 and the Montesa handles the best!
  3. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

If you look on Ebay you will see OKO 28mm flat slide carbs advertised. They are not much money, and are a direct replacement for your worn out Amal carb.
  4. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. Monty348

Monty348 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wardie,
    Can't tell where you're from but if you're in the PA, MD, DE areas you might want to check the Mid Atlantic Trials series.
    http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/
    In addition to event info this web page has OKO carbs if you decide to replace your existing carb. The Amals on these piston port Montesas wear on the slide and body.
  6. wardie

Oddometer:
    Cleaned AMAL carb, installed new spark plug . Bike starts but runs erratic. Won't rev cleanly very sluggish and definitely sounds like it's missing. Friend says maybe points gap or timing. Can't get anyone at SW Montessa or Rocky Mountain to email or call back?

Need some help never had one of these..Wardie
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need a flywheel puller and clean the points and mag. The condenser would be the first thing to replace. SW and rocky mountain are slow to respond.
  8. wardie

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine how they stay in business. Two emails and a fax and still no response. Crazy..

I need spare points, new condenser and relocate it and check timing.

Thanjks Wardie
  9. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    oopss.. don't have a Cota .. was just trying to help by posting a photo to explain what a Cota was.

if one cylinder is not firing .. first take a compression check. next is to make sure wiring/coil is in good condition and firing.

check your points/condenser, do a manual reset of timing by alining up with TDC or what ever mark just when points open.

points can be reused most of the time. they say not to, but when dealing with exotic models with hard to find parts. it's fine to file points with emery cloth .. condensers rarely go bad. be sure to use a tiny dab of high temp grease on points cam.

make dead certain points wiring are isolated not going to ground.

use starting fluid to bypass carb ... but don't run too long on starting fluid.

your overflow problem can be fixed with a new needle/seat... or your float is dead/leaking... etc. etc
  10. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

Tried a phone call?
  11. LowPSI

LowPSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Wardie, the 349 is a great bike, congrats. I think you may have a stuck float or float needle. Can you post pictures of the bike? Is the White Wonder model? Amal carb? If so you may be able to source the parts elsewhere. Try speed and Sport. They have AMAL parts.

I can say that both Jared Bates of SW Montesa and John Haberbosch of Rocky Mountain Montesa are top men and experts in Montesa parts and Montesa restoration. As you can imagine this is not a large business so be patient.

John Haberbosch was recently involved in a motorcycle accident and is seriously injured. It may be a while until he is back in action.

...and now I have a small request. Montesa has only one "S". :1drink
  12. wardie

Oddometer:
    Hey Twin Shocker can't locate number on their sites. If you have one I'd much appreciate it.

Yes White Wonder Ulf Karsland or something replica. Hey I just want to get it running. Got an email today back from SW Montesa seems he was out of country just got back. I dunno just hard for me to understand if you're leaving the country and not going to be accessible to emails or won't be answering them why not post that little ditty ? I dunno I guess I just do things differently. Time to move on I appreciate all the help and suggestions you guys have given. I think I have a game plan and with some points, dial indicator etc. I'll be ready to go. Looking forward to Ohio Valley BSA Meet hope to meet some of you there. Wardie
  13. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before changing the points, why not just try cleaning them with some fine sandpaper? Its a bit fiddly, but you can clean them without removing flywheel.

That may well get the bike running, but probably a good idea to change points and condenser anyway, and if you fit condenser outside the flywheel housing, it will have a longer life (runs much cooler), and can be changed in 5 minutes if it fails.

Used to have a 349 way back when, and found they go an awful lot better if you change the dreadful OE Amal carb for something better.