New to gopro, questions...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by thesurvivalist, Feb 23, 2014.

1. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So i've just purchased a new gopro black and a 64gb sd card.

I'm going to be in an isolated location where I will not have access to a computer. I want to transfer the gopro vids onto an external hard drive. What do I need to do that?
  2. Stkmkt1

Stkmkt1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you will need to carry additional SD cards with you. I know of no way to transfer to an external drive without a computer. The external hard drive won't work without a computer. Yo cannot connect the GoPro to the external drive directly.

I transfer the goPro files to external drive myself. But to do so, I put the SD card in my mack and copy the files to the attached external drive.
  3. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are these multimedia storage products that you can offload the videos/photos too. Epson has one product called p-7000. I saw some others a few years ago. Look at BH Photo and Video online I'm sure they have a pretty decent selection of like products.

I just bought a GoPro Silver 3+ this week myself and I'm looking forward to getting it.
  5. Stkmkt1

Stkmkt1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks BeachMoto. I think you are on the right track. I didn't know they made something like that. I may need to look into getting one myself.
  6. huguesfrederic

huguesfrederic HF

Oddometer:
  7. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    :lurk
  8. guyfawkes

guyfawkes Move along, nothing to see here

Oddometer:
    get additional sd-cards ? not sure how long you intend to be away from civilization but 3 64GB sdxc cards should last you long enough...also saves you the hassle of having to supply whatever device you wanna transfer to with power.
    the average imagetank for example will barely last long enough to transfer the contents of a 32GB sd card before it needs charging.
  9. lanceputnam

lanceputnam Hayden's Dad

Oddometer:
    3-64gb cards lasts me about 1/2 a day filming 1080 @60fps. Definately not long enough. Times are less if he's running film/photo mode as well.
  10. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've traveled easily 20-30k miles with at least 1,000 on off-road trails. Usually for a month at a time.....

4 yrs ago I bought a Gateway NetBook (10"x7"x 1/2" thick - smaller than a sheet of paper, but 3/8th of an inch thick) 150 G.Byte hard drive, and a mini-mouse. Sandwiched between 2 pieces of foam it has survived a lot of bouncing on many remote trails...and will go out with me again this year.

Stored in my Jessie between the 1" foam it is pretty bullet-proof. Netbooks or now being called Mini Notebooks / Laptops. Most netbooks have an SD SLOT on the front to copy sd cards to the hard disk. Nothing new to learn...view your images on the road..If it did break just another $150. Plus I have Internet access on the road when needed...all in one device. When I put jpgs or videos I usually want to review and make notes...NetBook is perfect for that. And I rarely have or need Internet access with my NetBook and do have use of Streets and Trips mapping software and a place to keep track and use my gpx gps coordinates, and Google Maps.

Easy to add, delete, manipulate jpg's or video. 150 gig is plenty of space for me But if needed more I would zip files and email or copy to a flash drive.

I'm in the computer business and ship 1,000's of pc each year...and can get pretty much any external hard disk device wholesale....the NETBOOK just works easier for me.
  11. guyfawkes

guyfawkes Move along, nothing to see here

Oddometer:
    yeah...assuming the OP is recoding at 60FPS the entire is reasonable ... *rolleyes*
  12. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Shovelhandz

Shovelhandz n00b

Oddometer:
    Lots of micro sd cards is definitely the safest way to go.