strangest road debris

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by braindigitalis, May 1, 2013.

1. braindigitalis

braindigitalis Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer:
    Just wondering what's the strangest thing you guys have seen abandoned or dumped on the road. Bonus points for anything you had to swerve around and curious to anything you've hit ... I'll start:

1) a complete stretchy "bungee" car roof cord with metal hooks. I somehow missed seeing this and only realised I'd hit it later when I found it wrapped around my rear break drum and back wheel alloy. Lucky it didn't have me off! Oh the days of being a n00b...

2) an entire car, parked up and abandoned in the middle of a 60mph road. Saw it at 9am and again on my way back at 17:00 so I called the cops. Apparently there had been several complaints but they couldn't move it without tracing and speaking to its owners first. Car was gone the next day... Seems its owners had just parked it up when running out of gas and left it! What's most dumb was they were 100 yards from a gas station! Some people...

3) half a dog. Yeah. Half.... The back end. Yuck lol.

So what's your best and worst? :D
  2. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    A homeless man, (appeared to be drunk or high, completely out of it) crawling on all 4's, no shoes, no shirt, some ripped up jeans, right at a one lane entrance to the 118 freeway in SoCal, i almost hit him, it was 11 at night, very dark, i swerved and missed him, then pulled over and called 911.
  3. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    Mattresses. Why so many mattresses? :eek1
  4. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Tied down at an angle starting in the back of a pick-up with the other end over the roof. The knitting yarn holding it down breaks pretty soon, and the mattress flips out the back. :1drink

Oh, I rode through the remains of a wild hog a few months ago :puke1

Thankfully it was a couple of days old and tacky not squishy, so it didn't explode when I went through. None of it got on me, that I know of...
  5. braindigitalis

Oddometer:

150ron's homeless drunk needed somewhere to pass out :rofl
  6. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Piglets. Several of them. Somewhere in Wisconsin, going to Green Bay. Apparently one of the sows gave birth in the hog-hauler about a mile in front of me, and the little ones just spilled out through the sides. None of the piglets were moving when I rode past, so I can only hope they died quickly. I didn't stop for bacon.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  7. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    3 bales of hay.
    i was following a pickup truck. they made a quick right hand turn and 3 hay bales fell out.
    i was not following close so i weaved around them and stopped to help the lady put them back in her truck.
  8. braindigitalis

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing something like this on a cop show... The perp tried to escape the cops by vaulting what looked like a waist high wall at the side of the road ...not realising that the other side was a 30 foot drop to the concrete below. Guy broke his back and lets just say he never did it again :D

Just remembered something else I saw in the road once. A large tractor tyre. Ended up going round it as it was as wide as the one lane road... I guess it had been flytipped...
  9. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    About 30 years ago going down an unlit road in the middle of nowhere suddenly I hit a matress. I said holy shit did you see that to my girlfriend. That's when we ran over the box-spring. Bike stayed up. Headlights used to really suck.
  10. dbg326

dbg326 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  11. jpgrego

jpgrego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last week heading home from work I had to swerve to miss a full size extension ladder laying all the way across the lane. I've also seen a washing machine still strapped to a tow dolly, and many years ago while driving a work truck I passed a couch in the fast lane of I-26.
    Chainwhip likes this.
  12. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to service machnery at remote sites in Oregon, so I drove around 60k per year just for the job. In 6 years I got to see:

Most of an elk. It headbutted a school bus, and lost.

A 24' aluminum extension ladder in the center lane of I-205 near Clackamas

A car seat :huh

Two pallets of Coca-Cola (intact, not one can burst).

A 3/4 mile long trail of what looked like pink house paint.

several bales of hay

a christmas tree

Most of a pre-built garden shed

I can't remember them all. It seems like there was something weird nearly every week.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  13. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen everything including the kitchen sink!:eek1 Moron's can't secure a load for shit around here in DFW.
  14. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    While cruising a two lane blacktop a pickup truck liner flew out of the back of an oncoming truck. Wind blew it out of my lane but it made my eyes go wide.
    One evening I was two up when a moose crossed the road in front of me with a calf following very close behind her. I went between them. I asked my passenger if she was scared by it. She said no. Good cause I was scared enough for the both of us.
  15. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    1) nearly hit a car battery at 85 mph on Hwy 101 in Hollywood. I shudder to think about what would have happened had I hit that.

2) someone's spare tire I almost hit at 85 mph on Hwy 118 north west of LA - I shudder to think about what would have happened had I hit that.

3) A house fell off a trailer on 101 in Hollywood - that was easier to miss

4) a homeless guy was running the wrong way on Hwy 1 in Malibu one day.... didnt see what was happening because of all the goddam SUV's in front of me but I was noticing them dodging something in the road.....missed him buy inches....

:huh
  16. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    Many years ago, local 2 lane near here. Around midnight I swerve to avoid a body laying across the road, head in one lane, feet in the opposite lane. Stopped and called the police. Cop shows up, gets out of car, takes one look at the "body" and kicks him in the ribs and yells "Get up!". Drags and shoves him into the back seat of patrol car and drives off!!! Cop never said a word to me and I never heard another thing about it. The cop obviously had dealt with this idiot before. :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
    NickSoOr likes this.
  17. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    Ottoman. I70 Kansas at night. 1993 or abouts. The Peugeot took it rather well, but the hood had to be bungeed for the rest of its life.

HVAC coil. The fins on those things act like razor blades on tires. I was lucky to be about the 10th one back and by the time everyone else braked and got flats, I was able to slow down and go around. That sucker took out about 8 cars tires.
  18. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    A snow shovel right in the middle of 75 in Richardson during August.
  19. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I 40 in central Arkansas, about 1974. A U Haul trailer came loose from a car and spread what appeared to be an entire households contents along a quarter mile or so of interstate.
  20. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    1) A large red sow trotting along in the right lane of a lonely state highway in Indiana. She seemed to know exactly where she was going, so I signaled and passed. Very politely.

2) The shitter on 64 -- a brand new toilet and most of its packing materials smack dab in the middle of a blind curve on a VERY twisty, narrow road in North Carolina. Porcelain shards everywhere.