Majesty 400 or Burgman 400?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by pjheckel, Mar 13, 2008.

1. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    I wrestled for a while over 'em all. I thought I wanted a 250, but decided I needed a bit more oomph. I really liked the Morphous. The Honda Silverwing is quick, but heavier 'n hell, and more than I need.

I ended up with an '08 Majesty 400. I wanted a Burgman, but found the Majesty was almost $900 cheaper around here. I walked into the stealership with cash today, made a deal, and rode away. I put 190 miles on it this afternoon, only coming home because it started to rain.

[​IMG]
  2. Monterey10

Monterey10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I probably lucked out, but my Burg 400 was nearly $1000 cheaper than the Majesty.
  3. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I am going to say this one, other than the mechanical concerns, comes down to ergonomics and rider preferences.

This is based on my readings and has no basis in first-hand knowledge (or prejudice).
  4. Bearcat

Bearcat burg1

Oddometer:
    I have A 2007 Majesty and a 2008 Burgman 650. The Majesty 400 is sweet, and will run all day with the big boys, however it is a bit cramped for me since I have long legs. That's why I bought the Burgman 650, It fits. I ride the Majesty on short errands and the Burgman on longer rides. Both very good machines.
  5. NEVERLOST

NEVERLOST Banned

Oddometer:
    I love my Maj but if I ride all day I wake up w/ major leg cramps in the middle of the night. I probably would help to work out once in a while...:lol3
  6. jwayne

jwayne Long Rider

Oddometer:
    How tall are you ?
  7. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just Bought a 2004 Reflex Used.
    6800 miles, Black Sport Model, No ABS
    $2700
    Never Dropped.
    $3000 was my price bogey, cheapest Silverwings were $3500 to 4500
    I'm too much of a Honda Guy to buy anything else.
    Majesty 400 would have been my off-brand choice.

Like the relative low weight, compared to Silverwing.
    Miss the Power - I think my 150 Elite will smoke this tank off the line.
    Handles and Stops worlds away better than Helix.
    I like the Comfort and the Sportbike looks.

Has good acceleration from 0 to 30 and 45 to 60, BIG flatspot in the middle.
  8. newo2u

newo2u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sit on them. Majesty had no leg room to speak of. Kept hitting the handlebars on my knees. Burgman 400 had no such issues. Burger was just more comfortable and I liked the dual front discs.

Leftover '08 Burgman 400. N. Jax Motorsports....$5150 OTD.

Replacing Kymco People S250.
  9. mboni

mboni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ernest, the flat spot in the Reflex is easily fixed, the CVT is set up to limit RPM at that speed, but you can remove 3 of the 6 rollers in the CVT and it gets much more responsive.

Sign up on the Honda Reflex Yahoo Group, and get instructions on the Koehler mod.
  10. Bama Gringo

Bama Gringo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    iv had 2 burgman 650's and now iv got a 2007 majesty 400. i love the maj 400!!! im 6'2'' so i did a few mods and its so comfy now! much better than the burgman ever was. im touring on it. i also have a vstrom and ill take this scooter on any long trip that id take the strom.

iv added a 12v plug for charging cell

top wind deflector in windshield

handlebar risers

drivers backrest. its just the stock butt pad raised up.

pics...[​IMG]
  11. LarryRickenbacker

LarryRickenbacker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy,

Several years ago, yours truly test-drove a lightly used Majesty (It might've been a Burgman 400, but cannot recall) and came away mightily impressed; it was like floating on a cloud, compared to my little 125cc Daelim-which was no slacker.
    I'd probably go with the lightly used model that has the best and or closest dealership. I believe that the Majesty's (What a cool bike!) front turn signal lights are always "on" and simply go from "off" to "on" repeatedly when employed for a turn, thus they'd burn out faster than a traditional turn signal light. OTOH, this would also improve frontal visibility and could prove a life-saver at intersections. Now, I've a hankering for a Majesty/Burger 400! :cry
  12. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Majesty's a great bike...I have a friend who rode one for some years and she really liked it...but it doesn't fit me at all and the Burg 400, also a great bike, does...

Sit on both and ride both if you can...
  13. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked at a new Burgman, and a leftover new Majesty. The Majesty was over $1000 cheaper. Beware of the Burgman, it still requires valve adjustments REAL often, and it is an all say procedure, you have to tear the whole scooter apart. This must be done on purpose, because modern technology makes it unnecessary to build a scooter or motorcycle that requires it's valves to be adjusted at all.

The Majesty will go 26,000 miles before requiring a valve adjustment (which would take me about 2 years), but apparently when it does need one it is a '$600+ job at a dealer. I don't even know if it is feasible for an owner to do it.

Valve adjustments seem to be the Achilles Heel of pretty much all maxi scooters. Which is a shame, because I could probably be easily persuaded to lay down ten grand for one if it was as reliable and easy to maintain as most modern motorcycles.
  14. HandKPhil

HandKPhil An American Portuguese Explorer

Oddometer:

You know the Majesty handlebars are adjustable, right? Just take off the plastic covers, loosen the handlebar clamps and rotate the bars up. Done. I'm 6'-1" with a 34 in. inseam, and I have plenty of room on my Majesty.

My '09 Majesty has some fantastic front brakes, by the way. Never drove a Burger 400 though, so I can't really compare 'em. I do think the Majesty has way better styling. The chrome mirrors on the Burger just look so 1979...
  15. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't even need a feeler gauge to adjust my Reflex valves! Remove beltcase airfilter ( to turn crank ), timing mark plug, loosen two bolts.
    With a few variator mods, they accelerate well, too.
    Used, low mileage ones go for under $3000.
  16. samc

samc just me.....

Oddometer:
    2007 and later Burgman (Burgmen for more than one?) have shim/bucket lifters, valve adjustment interval is something like 16k miles (forget exactly, it's a long time, though). It was the pre '07 ones that needed adjustment every week or so.
  17. creighta

creighta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Idk about adjustable handlebars on majesty. You have to remove the brake hoses and reservoirs to get at the screws for that cowling from what I've read. I will say that I did not like the maj when I sat on it at the dealer, but after test riding one I had to buy it.

Fwiw I went majesty after asking the same question you have. I have a Yamaha dealer an hour away ( large part of decision) and the pre 08 models of Burgman 400 had so many little problems that I was afraid of the newer ones.

Btw, if it plays in I my majesty ranges from 59 to 61 mpg and I have run it over 100, but it felt like 110mph is probably all it has......of you will be comuting on the autobahn you may want a 600:rofl.

My wife and 10 yr old son both complain that the pillion is too wide to be comfortable on the majesty if you have company often. Ok because the acceleration is not impressive two up anyhow, still climbs hills well though.
  18. HandKPhil

HandKPhil An American Portuguese Explorer

Oddometer:
    You don't have to remove anything but a plastic cover to adjust the Majesty handlebars. It's literally an eight minute job. My Majesty seems to be one of the good ones that gets 55-60 mpg too.
  19. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    very interesting tread!

Damasovi