2014 Best of Montana 1000

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Timmer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Ran into a CG host a couple of years ago that couldn't see past the rules and regs, so you never know. Maybe park two bikes close together and cover both with a tarp - looks like a single 4 wheeled vehicle, right? National Parks tend to set some of their own individual standards, so who knows?

From Sunny (???) downtown Hurricane, Utah. bus-gus.blogspot.com

Ron
  2. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can put my bike in my tent:lol3
  3. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

A Norton and Jawa owner will sleep with anything.................:D
  4. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best to try and call ahead about it, get something in writing. Its a division of the government so they like to pass the buck just as much, tell you everything's fine just to get off the phone and all you have is "well they said on the phone it was ok" instead of "look at this cg host:deal"[/QUOTE]

I have tried to call and talk to someone. Everything is automated or contract vendors who can't speak for the park service. I could find no where to actually talk to someone in the park. I guess if someone says something you could say you talked to a park official and they said it was OK. You just can't remember the name of the guy. If they ask if it was "Bob Smith" you just say yes.
  5. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in for this one! Had a great time with you guys 2 years ago, can't wait to give it another shot. I'll bring the trail mix, you know, the kind in a bottle. After seeing how well a Wee Strom did on that trip I had to pick one up. Probably take it rather than the WRR...those long uphill grades in Montana really wanted a little more grunt than the 250 had.

I'm only about an hour and a half from Troy if anyone wants to crash here the night before the start.

I haven't finished the entire thread yet...but is the Ural Beer Hauler going to be along on this one?
  6. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Brian, I'm sure Timmer will be along shortly and add you to the IN list. Glad to have you back. The new WeeV should be great for this route (unless we can find another Burnt Knob Lookout to shoot for:evil). Stoneageman has signed on for this year so it should be a truly epic event.

Don't forget to check out the details in http://bom2014.blogspot.com/.

Ron
  7. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ron, I'm looking forward to seeing you, Timmer, Stone Age, and the rest again, had a great time with you guys. Larry's Wee really impressed me on that trip. Yeah, I'll pass on Burnt Knob with it! With luck you won't have to wait for me when we hit slab this time!
  8. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm out of the country in Guatemala at the moment, but I'm bring my 'new' WR on this jaunt.

Tim in Burien, Wa
    Sent from Tapatalk using my iPad mini
  9. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
  10. Wansfel

Oddometer:
  11. DirtyPatches

DirtyPatches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering what the more seasoned riders would recommend for a good pair of touring pants?? Trying to find some waterproof but vent capable pants for the BOM and just something suited for MT weather. Under 200 is the tricky part... Opinions??
  12. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry about waterproof unless you are going on real long (read weeks) rides as you can find cheap rain pants to use if needed. Look for protection and comfort. Go to Revzilla and move the price slide bar down to $200 and then take a look. I saw some REV'It and Klim pants in that range.

I've been real happy with my Klim Badlands gear but it's more $$$
  13. mikrow

mikrow Where'd my bike go?

Oddometer:
    It's time to officially chime....

IN!

Just need to get campsite stuff situated.

Anyone heading over from the Puget sound area? I'll probably be heading over from my Dad's place in Olympia.

Would love to hook up with some others for the trek out. :ear

or

If I take the ADVan with the bike on the back, is there a place to park near the start?

See you FF's soon!:freaky

mikrow
  14. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    I like my Klim Mojave mesh for breathability for summer riding along with inexpensive rain gear for wet (or cold).

Inexpensive knee/shin guards under all.

Note - I wear light nylon cargo pants under all. Synthetic undies. Creek bath wearing all dries quick and we're all clean again.
  15. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the insane list.

Timmer will add you to the list and he may be one to contact about "Puget Sound area".

See post #229 from Robert_W about parking near the formal start.

Ron
  16. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Timmer!!!! I plum forgot to have you add my son to the INsane list! He doesn't have an ADV handle. Call him "Little Wansfel" for now
  17. mikrow

mikrow Where'd my bike go?

Oddometer:
    Great Ron, thanks!

Just booked A16 at fishcreek, and have a place for the ADVan in Troy (if I bring it).

That was easy. :rofl

Pic is of the last time I was at Glacier. This is late July a few years ago. Might be a touch cool up top:deal

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Mikrow
  18. Timmer

Oddometer:
    In order to preserve your neck and mine, I'll just add him as a +1 to your entry. :D
  19. Timmer

Oddometer:
    I wear a pair of TourMaster Convertible pants which have zip out panels which reveal mesh for ventilation. I'll probably be wearing a Kilimanjaro Air jacket and have my Frogg Toggs for wind and rain protection as needed.
  20. Timmer

Oddometer:
    I'll be wandering my way over from the Puget Sound basin a few days early on the mighty WR. I believe DammitDave is coming from Pt. Townsend, and StoneAgeMan is coming from Seattle.