Old Spanish Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Countdown, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done any work on the Old Spanish Trail (OST)?

I am driving the Sante Fe Trail home form Missouri next month. I bought a book that is a great highway guide with every possible point of interest.

After finishing creating that route, I got out my books on the OST and have discovered that a lot of it is dirt. I think that along with a CDR that actually follows the divide, I am goung to try to ride the OST.

Does any one have any tracks? I have Vegas to the Amargosa River.
  2. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    I have a track from Vegas to Dumont, that probably duplicates parts of what you already have. My track doesn't necessarily follow the exact OST, but you might find some sections that are interesting for your overall goal. I avoided pavement as much as possible, which keeps it interesting and more fun for many of us. Since I promised you some of this stuff a few weeks ago, this will be my first installment (check your email tonight). It will come with a complete roadbook. Each waypoint has a tulip drawing, distance (miles and kilometers), heading, GPS coordinates, and comment (French and English). It also comes with a paper map that’s handy for those following the track as well as anyone following the highway. The track has a few sections that are pretty challenging, maybe a bit much for your typical group.

A few photo from the first guys following this Vegas-Dumont roadbook, starting in Vegas . . . and eventually finishing in Glamis three days later (following multiple roadbooks):
    http://www.hogwildracing.com/deathvalleyrally/2008/KellonJames/100_1078.JPG
    http://www.hogwildracing.com/deathvalleyrally/2008/KellonJames/100_1080.JPG
    http://www.hogwildracing.com/deathvalleyrally/2008/KellonJames/Kellon_Walch_100_1074x1024.jpg
    http://www.hogwildracing.com/deathvalleyrally/2008/KellonJames/Little_Dumont_Dunes_100_1082x1024.jpg

Related link, where others followed this track:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354684
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my first cut at a track.

Attached Files:

4. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jerry, you got me curious about the OST and started googling. I'm sure you have seen this site. Interesting maps. Took a peek at your first track. You have me thinking about a combo of the CDT, OST and GWT. Hmm...

http://www.oldspanishtrail.org/maps.php
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I was not aware of the assoc. I bought three books from B&N several years ago and just got interested again.

How about Mex2Can then CDR then OST?
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Man, I wish I had that kinda time.....someday.....
  7. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would certainly be an incredible ride. If i could get it done in around 25 days i'd give it some serious thought for next years ride. I'll dream for now.:lol3
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mex2Can is 13 days!
  9. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Went scouting around Pahrump over the weekend. Found this sign (MAP). Maybe you've already seen it? The portion of the "trail" that goes from this area over near Sandy Valley and on to Goodsprings is fine for any dual sport bike. Jerry, I've got literally 100 tracks within a 10 mile radius of this sign if you're interested. There's some really cool stuff out there if you get a little off onto some of the lesser traveled roads and trails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got back form scouting from Santa Fe to about half way to Durango. Tracks will be on GPSXchange.com
  11. xprovince

xprovince Adventurertypeperson

Oddometer:
    You Bastards Why Do I Look At Awesome Trails Like That When I Own A Sportsbike!!! :d
  12. HowDo

HowDo n00b

Oddometer:
    I couldn't locate the OST Santa Fe-Durango tracks. Were they posted?
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fourth one down in my Private Library, about half way down the home page.
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just finished 3 days scouting OST from Dolores Co to Green River UT.

Attached Files:

15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jerry,

I was just looking at your OST track. I really got excited when I saw where it crossed the NM CO border.

We are under the impression that that road is closed. A guy I ride with checked it out earlier this year from the north and said it was locked tight and had some nasty signs.

I see your track thru there is not an Active LOG. Does that mean it is wishful thinking or you have actually ridden that?

If it were open it would be a great addition to our riding repertoire in that area.
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes wishful thinking, hand drawn Track. Looks like it is good in Co as City Nav has road names but NM just says "road". As you can see further south it is active log I recorded when doing my CDR that follows the divide plus some in my motorhome on a trip to Santa Fe. There were a few signs on the Reservation but nothing that really stopped me. Waved a at few Indians as we passed.

Ever been up to that Cedar Springs lookout? Gate was closed for snow so I hiked up, great view.

I would accept any active logs of yours to connect it.
  17. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    I've been up there, and that crossing has been locked out from the NM side for years....are you saying you crossed it?
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are some tracks of a ride we did thru there last fall. We crossed the border about 7 miles east. This road doesn't show on some maps.

We had intended to do a loop further north into Utah and CO, but mechanical problems and 3 days of hard rain forced a change of plans.

Where is Cedar Springs Lookout. I doubt if I have anything but will look when I know where to look.

Attached Files:

19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is right off he OST near crossing the Divide (south of Dulce) on the reservation. You passed just east of it. Would you believe not far from Cedar Spring. Weird the Divide is 7555 but the lookout is on ridge 3.5 Mi east at 8200. It is Magenta Track off my New New Mexico CDR

This looks like two options for OST.

You need to send me all of your Active Logs, I am sure you have more that would save me from driving 1,000 miles to record them.

Attached Files:

20. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Last June I rode to the Carracas gate on the bridge over the San Juan right at the NM/CO border from Pagosa Junction just to check it out. I was thinking of this route as well for a future dual sport trip. Assuming this is the same spot you guys are referring to, it was gated and locked on the CO side (no access to NM) just over the bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bridge over San Juan.
    [​IMG]

:cry