Go West Young Man!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kerncountykid, Nov 23, 2009.

1. kerncountykid

kerncountykid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, this is my first post. Wanted to submit a tour report about my ride!

My name is Trevor Ware and this is my 1974 Honda CB550K. I built this bike from the frame up and lived on it for 32 days and 5,536 miles across the American south west.

[​IMG]

I bought this bike in Iowa for 965$ in March of 2009. I spent 6 months completely rebuilding it, esentially in two stages. I did a piston rering and carb rebuild just to get it running and tooled around Little Rock for a few months popping wheelies and doing burn outs in grave yards. Then I had my first puff off a marijuana cigarette and was spiritually connected to thousands of dead hippies. They told me to see the great American south west, and also to bring some shrooms.

Seriously, my buddy Justin and I had talked about motorcycle adventures for years. The more I worked on the bike the more road worthy it became and the farther I could ride it. Then in July I got shit-canned from my job and found myself with idle hands. If I was ever going to blow my mind on a motorcycle this was the time to do it. I rolled the bike back in my bedroom for the second time and rebuilt it bolt by bolt, nut by nut.

The top end rebuild shortly after I got the bike

[​IMG]

Marking my work (below the primary chain hanging out of the right side engine case).

[​IMG]

Coming together, about 2 months after I started the second rebuild and less than a week before leaving for California, the wrinkled raisin state.

[​IMG]

Gordy and I hadn't been talking about motorcycle adventures for years. So I was surprised when, after weeks of hounding, I was able to convince him to come with me. We found a 1981 Honda CX500 on Craigslist that seemed like a good candidate. Turned out to be about as good a candidate as Walter Mondale. This thing required some serious surgery to get ready and limited time to do it in. Here we are 2 days before the scheduled leave date putting his motor back in the bike. The stator was bad and required a replacement being overnighted, engine coming out and being opened up, and several huge handfuls of chewing tobacco. The chewing tobacco kept Gordy calm and girls away while we worked.

[​IMG]
    RR2017, tart, SomeGuyRides and 7 others like this.
  2. kerncountykid

Oddometer:
    September 17th

I get up around 9:30 and change my oil. Finish packing and Gord shows up. Neither of us can believe we are doing this. I wonder if I'm better at building motorcycles than riding them and hope I am not. It's overcast and threatening rain, but we drag ass anyways. The bikes are fully loaded, top heavy and unruly. We roll out of my front yard tepidly, relearning how to ride our now underpowered and overweight machines. I look back at my house and know I'll see it differently when I'm coming up the opposite end of the street nearly a month from now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride out reveals something is amiss with Gord's bike. He's averaging around 30 miles per gallon. Considering he'd put only a handful of miles on it after we took out the motor I chalk it up to tuning. We agree to ride on and that we'll fix it in Tulsa, our day one destination.

[​IMG]

Interstate 40 revolutionized the way people travel in this country. How many ghost towns did this soulless stretch of road leave in it's wake though? No road trip can involve riding this piece of crap. If anyone has had an adventure on a major interstate highway I'd like to hear about it. Riding i-40 to Tulsa from Little Rock was a necessary evil and none of it is worth remembering.

Finally in Oklahoma we hit the Muskogee Turnpike, pay our toll and ride into Tulsa. We meet my girlfriend in a bar. She's visiting a friend and has arranged for us to stay the night. Gord, me and Felicia share the front room. Out of respect for Gord I don't make sweet, sweet love to her in his presence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jordan and I spent two rotten days in Tulsa. Riding in we knew his gas milage situation was deteriorating rapidly to something like 50 miles per tank! The bike could only muster a ride out of the city limits before depleting its fuel supply. A tow truck got us to Honda of Tulsa, although they were closed. We got the fanciest hotel we could considering Gord's insurance was footing the bill and slept until about 10:30a.m. like a couple of hobos on abandoned matresses. We headed back to Honda of Tulsa for some help. These guys were the least hospitable people I met on the trip. A thumbs down review and gory details lie here, but it's not directly related to the (amazing) ride: Buttheads of Tulsa

We hunkered down behind a gas station and spent all day going through Gord's carburetors in the blazing sun. That, coupled with switching his bike to premium fuel netted us about 43 miles per gallon. That'll do pig, that'll do...

Behind the gas station

[​IMG]

Back on the road we hooked up with state highway 412 and ripped across central Oklahoma like wildfire. We met a nice fella on a rare Suzuki GT550. That's a two stroke tripple! Very strange bike. Seems kind of useless considering it was a two stroke, but it looked fantastic. At a stop for gas Gord frantically tells me he has knocked both bikes over as I fill up my water bag. Luckily my bike broke his bikes fall. Then within a couple hours my tach needle became stuck and while thumping the housing I break the glass. We are stumbling out of the gate.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We make it to Boiling Springs State Park just outside of Woodward, OK and the states panhandle. We learn how to pitch up our tent in the dark and are harassed by a Raccoon. Somewhere on the way my stun gun got stuck in the on position and depleted itself, presumably shocking my pillow and three bottles of Ensure for hours. The raccoon suffered no punishment for his rude behavior. Man how I would have loved to taze him.
  3. rodr

rodr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome Trevor! Good start. How did you find such a cute girlfriend? :D
  4. kerncountykid

Oddometer:
    I bagged her way back in high school, before I got ugly!
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Thanks for your first report :thumb

Let's hope this is the last of the stumbling.. but hey.. riding vintage bikes.. it's to be expected..

:lurk
  6. kerncountykid

Oddometer:
    Wish I could say that was the end of it... but I can't... :dog
    RR2017 likes this.
  7. kerncountykid

Oddometer:
    Our first night in the tent. Camping as an adult is so much better than as a kid. Its funny how imprisioned you feel as a kid being forced to go camping. I always felt that way. It's uncomfortable, like being in your underwear at your grandparent's. I slept solidly and am glad Jordan and I sprung for decent sleeping pads, bags and the dome tent. In the morning I lay in my bag and hear a dad yelling at his kids a couple sites over to "keep your damn shoes out of the tent" and see his teenage daughter texting furiously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Oklahoma panhandle is beautiful. Millions of acres of knee high grass blur the horizon and hide the curve of the earth. We're now two days from home and it feels like a real trip. Texas lingers below us by only twenty miles at points and we pass just North of a large storm and see it roll by in it's entirety. Jordan and I take turns buzzing eachother and alternating lead position. I feel like we're the only people on the road. We make it to Boise City late in the afternoon and the sky bruises as the sun sinks below the horizon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crossing the border into New Mexico Jordan pumps his fist triumphantly in front of me. The grassland crosses the border but the plains heave up scattered rocky plateaus now. It's dark at this point and cold for the first time. This is the first time we've ridden without at least city lights to guide us and I see a great beast lumbering along the side of 412. My heart races and I get goose bumps. Gord and I stop at a gas station and I ask "Did you by any chance notice that huge unidentifieable creature coming in?" which he did. After some deliberation he setteles on a baby buffalo (seriously) and I am split between bear and a man sized wolf.

We reach a KOA campground and are disgusted. This is where camping comes to die. The place is expensive and full of gray hairs. We bail for nearby Clayton Lake State Park, about 12 miles outside of town. Riding in we get lost and end up on a washed out service road in the middle of the park. We finally turn back and find the campsites. We build a big ass fire and my freaked mind is soothed while we stare up at the most unpolluted night sky I have seen in my life. There are more stars than space.
  8. kerncountykid

Oddometer:
    In the morning we find the landscape has changed dramatically from last daylight and our trek through Oklahoma, although we've covered few miles. I now understand a little better how they carved up this country and established state lines. Jordan climbed the rocky bluffs sourrounding our site to snap a few pictures. We pack up and nab a quick shower up the hill near the visitors center. About an hour and a half elapses and the weather turns so fast I imagine there are Indians nearby dancing and begging for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ride out for Taos, our planned destination for the day. Highway 412 peters out as we approach i-25 South, the main artery that connects i-90 and i-40. The weather clears as we roll West.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. kerncountykid

Oddometer:
    Having ridden highway 412 for much of our journey we reach Springer, New Mexico and the wider swath of i-25. We stop for expensive gas and fruit at a small grocers. We're ramping up the Eastern edge of the Rockies and the weather hits you physically. The grey sky is claustrophobic and the cold numbs your body. Two girls at the grocer tell us about Cimarron Canyon, a severe pass en route to Taos. I catch glimpse of a thrift store and duck in to buy a large coat, but it's all Disney movies on VHS and bridesmaid dresses. Jordan and I ride up the i-25 onramp and realize we can't make it. There is most likely snow in the canyon and certainly in Taos. We head South for Santa Fe and looking over our shoulders at the cloaked mountains do not regret the decision at any point.

Springer, NM

[​IMG]

I'm an old school mechanic like your grandpa. I swear by oil changes and whatever the circumstance I change mine when I've reached the bikes service limit. For this trip I've set the old Honda on an accelerated maitenence schedule. Every 1K miles for oil changes, two hundred miles for chain adjustments. In Las Vegas I picked up a couple quarts and some Ensure at the Wal-Mart and prepare to service the bike in gale force winds. Draining into a torn grocery sack becomes an especially offensive disaster considering the green times we live in. Gord thought this scene was hilarious.​

"I"m not going green, I'm staying the same". - T. Ware

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride South is no picnic and Jordan suffers for not having a windshield. I spend much of the time with my hands hidden beneath my gas tank, gathering warmth from my cylinder head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's dark in Santa Fe. I expected little from this town, maybe something of a truck stop. Turns out to be the most cultured city I passed through in this part of the country. Jordan and I aimed for a state park and, praise the Lord, never make it. I catch the word "Hostel" in bold letters and swing us around before making it out of the city. Hostels are so cool. I'm such a hippy (not really, I hate hippies.) But I really dug the hostel experience. The staff actually seemed concerned for our well being as the state park was at over 8,000 feet and treated us great. We got a private room, good conversation with other travellers and clean beds for 17$

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a real kick in the head, totally stocked kitchen!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RR2017, tart, SomeGuyRides and 7 others like this.
  10. drsales

drsales Wondering Why

Oddometer:
    I'm hooked, keep it coming. So with out looking at a map and such, how many miles per day are you averaging while riding?

Good Luck!
    RR2017 likes this.
  11. BusinessSocks

BusinessSocks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anxiously awaiting more...

I really like reports involving old bikes.
    RR2017 likes this.
  12. kerncountykid

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, average would be around 300. One day was 199, another closer to 400. I think 400 is about the max my body could handle!
    RR2017 likes this.
  13. kerncountykid

Oddometer:
    Having sailed around the cape, Jordan and I did our hostel chores and said our goodbyes. Highway 550 (rad!) would wind us back up and around the more treacherous geology towards Farmington, Shiprock and out of the great state of New Mexico. Only 199 miles today.

Riding a motorcycle costs you something. The really good things in life do. In this case its an assault on your endurance. You twist the throttle harder and everything in front of you comes at you harder. It's a trade off. I have a bum wrist that bothers me at points during the day. The cold makes it worse and I decide to try out a little toy I picked up before the trip, a throttle lock. It's a device that locks your throttle tube while riding long straight stretches no-handed. Its an unwieldy device and I get vertigo with the thing, twisting the gas in the wrong direction. I panic, actuate the clutch lever and rev the bike almost 2K rpm's above it's redline. My insides throb and I actually feel sick. I pull over and snap this lovely picture of the painted hillls folding over themselves like drapery.

[​IMG]

This little guy shows up. The bike is wounded and Death has come to claim her. He attracts creepy crawlers. We speed away from his boney grasp and the bike is fine. A well built motor can stand a little abuse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Farmington we arrive before dark, which has become rare. I hate riding in the dark and it's not worth the extra 60 miles you can gain from two hours riding in it. We tool around, get a little lost and stop for directions to nothing in particular. Locals suggest Farmington Lake for camping. We find it not far from the main strip. It turns out to be less of a lake and, more precisely, the towns water reservoir. Looks fantastic for camping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Satisfied we've scrounged up safe camping, we head into Aztec for dinner. A retro A&W beckons us from the cold and we sit at a booth. I already know I want a chili wanger dog and wait for a waitress. Finally I realize that each booth has a telephone hardlined to the kitchen. I assume I'm supposed to do my best Big Bopper, pick up the receiver and say "Helllllloooooo Baaaaby!"

They send out our weiners and I spy this gnarly tattoo while Gord phones home. He said it represented pain. Personally I don't see it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stop for a much needed flashlight. My idea. When we get in the store Jordan picks his out and I decide one is enough and put mine back as we head to the checkout. I am a piece of crap. Back at Farmington lake we ride our bikes through the loose dirt and washed out hills gathering dead limbs. A fantastic fire warms our blood and we sleep like we're dead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    beautiful
    RR2017 and panhead_dan like this.
  15. scythe08

scythe08 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, Great RR so far! This is what it's all about, just grabbin' a buddy, hoppin' on that bike and going! Well Done
    RR2017 likes this.
  16. donny662

donny662 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's with all the ride reports featuring kids riding vintage Hondas? Anyway, keep it coming :clap
    RR2017 likes this.
  17. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!

What's great about a ride like this is how hard your gonna laugh 10 years from now telling some younger guys about your first trip.

BTW--if 200 or 300 of us would like to send e-mails to Honda of Tulsa telling them how much we appreciate their treatment of a couple of young FF's far from home adventure riding on classic Hondas, their e-mail address is-- info@hondaoftulsa.com
    Hooch Alumni, RR2017 and panhead_dan like this.
  18. NevadaTex

NevadaTex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn...that reminds me of when I first started touring on a motorcycle. Just the basics for equipment and a whole lotta learning as you go. I hope you enjoy this trip...the first one is always the best!:clap

Continue onwards!

btw...my first trip was on a '78 CX500 (so your ride report immediately grabbed my attention) What a top heavy beast. On that trip I rode from Austin to Big Bend Nat'l Park and back over the course of a week. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, screwed up in all sorts of unimagineable ways and enjoyed every frickin' minute of the trip. It sounds like you guys are working off the same script. :rofl
    RR2017 likes this.
  19. Goran69

Goran69 MNE

Oddometer:
    Like GB said, riding vintage bikes has its own price...But it totally seems to me that you have control over it so its going to be a great RR.
  20. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey kid! I love your words man! Too hip! Stay safe. I am really enjoying this one...

[​IMG]