2013 Green Ridge Swimsuit Invitational

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by HellSickle, Aug 13, 2013.

1. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Back by popular demand! The Green Ridge Swimsuit Invitational!

Sunday, August 25.

[​IMG]

Breakfast at Vern's in Laporte at 8am. Sidestands up at Chambers Lake trail head at 11am. Snacks at East Twin Lake. Late lunch in Redfeather lakes.

[​IMG]
  2. PrairieRider

PrairieRider Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer:
    In! :rofl
  3. greenramp

greenramp Airborne

Oddometer:
    since I am a noob to that area is it a dual sport or single track ride?
  4. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    All of the above. However, I would not recommend any large bikes (large is >= KLR650).

We plan to ride from Ft. Collins. I'm on a KTM 450, Paula on a DR350. We consider those our mid-weight dual sport bikes. The road sections are a bit of a grind on the smaller bikes, but you'll be much happier on the dirt sections.

Green Ridge is a long rocky, muddy jeep road. At the end we can do the Killpecker single track.

P.S. Google " motorcycle T vent modification ". Do it before you go, unless you enjoy pushing your bike out of knee deep muddy water.

P.P.S. Have the tools you need for removing your spark plug if you drown your bike.

P.P.P.S. This is not a beginner ride.

P.P.P.P.S. Know how to fix your own flats. I'll stick with you for the first flat repair. If the same tire goes flat again, you will be abandoned. Just ask Ironbrewer. He got three strikes, but I'm not that patient anymore.
  5. Cowboy

Cowboy Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer:
    It's dual sport. It is twisty pavement from Verns up Poudre Canyon to the beginning of Green Ridge. Green ridge is rough, rocky (and often very wet) two-track road, and there are numerous graded dirt routes combined with pavement to get you back to Fort Collins. If you like single track, there is a short (but fun) single track section called Killpecker near the north end of Green Ridge that you could easily add to your route home. There's also a rocky bitch of a forest two-track called FR517 that you could attack or avoid depending on your tolerance for pain.

Kelly Flats and Heart Attack Hill (and its evil twin the Bypass (surgery) are nearby too, easy to add to the route home.

That area is a fun dual sport playground any n00b to the area should be anxious to learn about! :deal
  6. Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Tell that to your wife. I remember the day you two met on Green Ridge. Has she forgiven me yet for taking a beginner there?? :lol3
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    so would I be screwed on a well sorted dr650?
    that's all I own at the moment.

8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :lol3 so is that Jeff's M.O. ?
    invite all the single beginner women and see is the last standing to ask for a date?
  9. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    As I learned with three years of laying out the AMA dual sport in Walden, many people have a different definition of dual sport. To many, it means doing some gravel roads and some paved roads.

As legend has it.... You were the one who convinced her to go. I sure am glad you did.

You'll be fine. Any whining and we will just tell you to suck it up buttercup. If you were overly challenged on the jeep road, then you probably won't want to do Killpecker.

I like the idea of returning via Kelly Flats. That will make for a nice long day.

On the innauguaral ride in 2008, I met a lot of ADVr's for the first time. TheDude, Greywolf, Coybow, BigLV, WyoGirl, PrairieRider. Last year the Dude joked that I decided I was going to marry one of the newbs and he's glad it wasn't him.
  10. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
    For Grasshopper: On a 2T

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KWvPuzjylqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. SaharaJp99

SaharaJp99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in again! I'll probably trailer to Sevenmile trailhead and ride up to Chambers lake trail head. I'll probably be riding the KTM 2 stroke. For 3 reasons. 1) my DRZ bores me now. 2) a 2t is a lot easier to undrown. 3) I might ride killpecker/swamp creek back to 7 mile. Eh, it's only 20 miles of pavement.
  12. Cowboy

Oddometer:
    You married the one who brought along the best cookies! :deal
  13. Wudscrasher

Wudscrasher Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Didn't we used to do this as an out-and-back starting from the Rustic side, to Twin Lakes, and come back the same way? :scratch I know the last few years, the route has been Poudre Canyon to Chambers and back east. I'd love to break in the KDX on this, but leave early from the Rustic side, meet you at Twin Lakes, and head back with the group. Not to bugger the set plans, but if anyone else without plates wants to run this as an out & back, let me know. Otherwise, the DR and my snorkel are looking forward to Green Ridge! :clap

[​IMG]

(The year you & Colton & I did the out & back, still have the video of this)
  14. Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Ha! Wuds got it far worse than I did!

[​IMG]

Did I mention that I love Green Ridge, even when the water gets deep and stinky?
  15. Wudscrasher

Wudscrasher Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer:
    #mudfacial <3
  16. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:

Heck some Cowboy once rode it on a R100gs Bumblebee.
  17. Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Yes, and it was an entirely doable, enjoyable ride. But I wasn't trying to keep up with Hellsickle that day - or anybody else. Maybe I should arrange the Pro Leisure Swimsuit Tour for big bikes and n00bs. :rofl
  18. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea, Cowboy!
  19. Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Ha! I got the mud facial. You got bukkake. :)
  20. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:

Well there certainly was a circle of jerks there that day.