Yukon thieves steal round the world motorcycle

Discussion in 'Canada' started by northern, May 14, 2015.

1. CanadianRocky

CanadianRocky No Bucket List... a Bucket full of Lists

Oddometer:
    The event has made me rethink my bikes security. I park my truck in the driveway in front of the bike, so someone would have to lift it over a five foot fence to steal it. I also have a motion light in the ceiling, and I will be getting a motion sensor disc lock for home, and for traveling.

I also did not get theft insurance on my GS. I am going to get it now. Tomorrow as a matter of fact. Tonight I will sleep under it with a shotgun.
  2. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    I think it very unlikely that any posts the OP may have made on-line were a factor in his bike being stolen.
  3. sue.t

sue.t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live near Whitehorse and am there Mon-Fri working. I know many of the media types because I work with them. I'm thinking it better to contact one of the print media - Yukon News would likely pick this up and do a good piece about an online group of keeners wanting to help a fellow inmate.

John Thompson, Editor
    johnt@yukon-news.com
  4. greenthumb

greenthumb b00b

Oddometer:
    I've travelled with my bike and looked into this.
    It varies, but generally you're SOL.

Your Canadian insurance only covers you inside North America. Outside that, it varies from no insurance required whatsoever, to a full range of options. Of course, you will likely have to get separate coverage for each country you visit. This gets complicated and expensive. Most people I met forgo optional coverage, or even mandatory coverage and just take their chances.

Honestly, theft of the entire bike is virtually unheard of, especially with fancy bikes in poorer countries. A bike like the the one in question is so far beyond the reach of locals. Besides having the means to actually steal it, it would be of no use to them.

As far as other things getting stolen, I keep two of everything important. Bank and credit cards, documents and such, in separate locations. Backup my photos. Luggage can be replaced with duffles if need be.
  5. fujian

fujian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Langford ( Victoria ) British Columbia, Canada
    I'll be passing through in June, leaving on my XT250. Should be a fun trip to Inuvik. That sucks to have a bike stolen.
  6. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A similar thing happened here in St. John's a few summers ago. An American woman was doing an epic ride on her TW. IIRC she stopped into a tattoo shop, came out a short while later and her bike was gone. Eventually her bike was found. I'm sure there's a write up somewhere here about it.

I feel for this rider. I hope there is a happy ending.
  7. northern

northern Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.facebook.com/bostjan.skrlj

Hi everyone, first I want to thank everybody for the kind thoughts and support for sharing all over the globe....... again, my bike was STOLEN early morning May 11 in Porter Creek, Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada in front of the house I am staying at.. The motorcycle was stolen with some traveling gear as well as my passport & documents.. The only piece I found was this corner of my windshield .. Possibly happened when they loaded it on to a trailer or truck. There were no keys left on the bike, and i know that without a key they cannot use the bike except for parts. But even these parts are already used.....
    Today, these documents were found in a mailbox on the other side of town, but still no tracks from bike..
    Lots of people ask me about insurance - My insurance doesn't cover theft in North America because it's so expensive that basically 2.5 years will buy me a new bike..
    My motorcycle has 147,000km and we went across 41 countries.... but we still have 150 to go to complete the journey smile emoticon along the way i work and travel, in canada I've been for a long time, but in all this time I went through many different remote and unaccessible areas where bikes usually never go... I love the extreme - and for these things you need to prepare yourself and the bike too
    This bike means really lots to me ..... we've been in so many places and he's never let me down, even when he should have... even if I never find him there won't be another bike that can replace him. i will be patient and wait for now, and keep working to save for a new bike in the worst scenario..i really believe he will show up because of your help and concern.. i am really thankful for this
    and now to the person that took my bike: this is not just a piece of metal, its a good friend to me. i work really really hard for all this and nobody is supporting us with money... doesn't mean when you see a website on something they have loads of money and everything is just given to them, or have very rich parents... my parents wish to help me financially but they cannot. the sponsors you see on my website are technical support and friends who believe in my project from the beginning..
    we all have dreams but for some people it's a life choice and we live it...... I'm not angry, but I'm disappointed that you took something you obviously could tell is someone's life just to try make a few bucks.. but life is a circle and one day this will come back to you
    The journey is not over - i will do everything to accomplish my goals and make my dreams come true
    Many thanks to everyone
  8. northern

northern Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Antennas

Antennas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "How the hell can a GS1200adv go unnoticed like that in that region?
    Let me tell you how.
    1: police don't give a shit.
    2: 10$ that bike is located in a region where police (RCMP) have no access/ authority.
    ex: Indian /first nations reserve."

Ok dingus, Police do give a shit. What is your solution to finding a stolen vehicle in a large territory? Are you going to knock on everyone's door or go over every gravel road? It can't be done.

RCMP have authority over every piece of land in Canada. All of it.

That bike was stolen for parts and is already parted out and sold off. Sucks, but that's most likely what happened.

Good luck Bostjan.
  10. Moof Face

Moof Face Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey folks. RCMP checking in here, specifically Yukon RCMP (what a coincidence).

The probability of the bike being stripped for parts is slim to none as that's just a crime that does not happen in Whitehorse. It hasn't for the 6 years I've been here. In my experience policing the Yukon, the bike is either

Ditched 30km down a dirt road and set on fire, just because
    Laying in a highway ditch out of town, inconspicuously covered by overgrowth
    Sitting in someone's garage with all his gear gone
    Currently in Watson Lake or Fort Nelson

The thieves don't strip parts here. They steal and wreck. I know it's something that Bostjan doesn't want to know, and it's most likely that what's left of his bike will show up a few years from now when someone stumbles upon it.
  11. Morgan Steele

Morgan Steele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a sad fact of my life that I will never be able to truthfully use this line.
  12. Moof Face

Moof Face Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It just rolls off the tongue.

Right now I can also use "in my experience policing north of the arctic circle..."
  13. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    I'm in for 25$

I hope those thieves rot.

And thanks to the RCMP member for the comments.

Good luck Bostjan!
  14. CanadianRocky

Oddometer:
    It will be nice if we, as fellow ADVriders, especially the Canadian members, can get him back on the road with a bike.

What goes around comes around. The thief's will loose something they cherish one day. And then on that day, they will feel that absolute emptiness that accompanies seeing a empty space, where something you had, was.
  15. Motardca

Motardca Motardca

Oddometer:
    Hey
    I'm in for $40. where do we sign up.
    Nik
  16. CanadianRocky

Oddometer:
  17. Pedersoli

Pedersoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have worked all over western Canada, the Yukon, NWT, BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan. I liked the Yukon but it is the most messed up place I have ever been. Whitehorse is worse than Fort McMurray for drugs and petty crime.

Like Moof Face said it was stolen "just because".
  18. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My sincere condolences to the loss of your bike and equipment. Canada certainly has more than it's fair share of lower ebb of the human race, and seemingly freedom to live their sordid little life.
    I think however it would be correct to place a lot of the blame for this incident on yourself. Not so much the loss of the bike, but goodness me, your passport??? Heck, on my weekly visits 400 yards into the USA to buy gas, documents like this are of such importance, my passport is in my front pocket with my shirt over the pocket. Leaving it inside the panniers of my bike ANYWHERE, ANYTIME seems to me terribly absentminded, actually, really stupid. As well, travelling within any country including my own, insurance is another document needed and guarded with high vigor.
    I certainly nod my head to anyone who contributes to your fund collection to resume your travels. I cannot bring myself to contribute to anyone's stupidity I'm afraid. Much like the travellers last year who entered onto this forum looking for free veterinary care or funding to fix their dog travel companion on their side car, and the most recent plane travelling young couple who were so fucking stupid they did not even know they were pregnant, and are now asking for $50,000 donations to cover unexpected costs incurred when she gave birth on a plane to Japan, I'm afraid there are just times when one must stand up and take responsibility for such things. No insurance? No protection of vital travel documents? Bike parked out on the street overnight in an area you are not aware of? Again, sorry, but asking for funds at this point. I know I'd head home tail between my legs, a great big lesson being learned.
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That's pretty harsh, Steve. IMO...

I think the funding campaign was brought up by another person.

I keep my passport and wallet in my tankbag, and ins docs are under the seat...
  20. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just kick the guy a few more times when he's down.

Good to hear you never screw up, never make a mistake.

Hmmm "Canada certainly has more than it's fair share of lower ebb of the human race, and seemingly freedom to live their sordid little life."

After that comment, getting a little close to home, no?