What do the Short Ladies Ride?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by blk-betty, Sep 15, 2009.

1. roqetman

roqetman Born to the Road

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  2. theWolfTamer

theWolfTamer Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer:
    I'm a 5"3 lady and I ride a 2005 Yamaha FZ1 (Gen1). It's a little tall, but I adjust.

I agree with the poster about finding the bike you like and making it fit you. My first bike had about 32" seat height. I got an aftermarket seat so I could reach the ground better. I got a cut down seat for my FZ1 and can comfortably reach the ground with the balls of my feet.

Besides when I ride, I don't have my feet on the ground much.:wink:
  3. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the ninja 650R. I have my wifes set up w/ a progressive suspension minus 2" shock and a kawasaki minus 1" seat. Flat foot w/ a 29" inseam.
    For sale if you're interested :deal .........she stopped riding :cry ................(shameless plug) I've actually ridden it more than her, including 2200 mi to Cape Breton this summer. Sweet bike......underrated.
  4. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    you should post a picture just for reference... I'm kind of a euro bike whore, but the 640R felt really really nice. and I've never actually seen one lowered.
  5. rhys

rhys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also had a (first generation) FZ1, much like the 5' 3" lady above. But unlike the lady, my 'junk'.... and my huge stumps-for-legs (thanx Welsh genetics) cursed me with a really short inseam.

I post about THIS bike because as mentioned above... sometimes the internals lowered can work, and sometimes they don't. I had the internals lowered on my FizzyBee and cut the seat down, but the ride, OHMYGOD the RIDE! After 60,000 miles, I had enough.... it was just too stiff a ride. But I rarely (if ever) touched the foot pegs down on my lowered Fizzy after I had the springs & shock set up for my weight, even though it was lowered an inch.

That's why I think a BMW factory lowered bike,
    is a lower bike done right!

[​IMG]
  6. BrianK

BrianK F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer:
    My wife's about 5'5". She has an 07 Bonnie with 1" under shocks and the fork tubes raised in the triple trees as far as they will go. She can ride it, but it's still a tad tall.

She prefers her Nightster. She can flat foot that one barefoot - not that she'd ride that way....

Personally, I like the Bonnie better....
  7. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    What is the need to "flat foot" anyway? I am only 5' 8" and have a 30" inseam. My last few bikes have been fairly tall and I never seem to have a problem. You really should have your other foot on the rear brake anyway, so you only need to touch with your left. Just scooch over a little and it's all good. where are all these people riding with their feet dragging on the ground????:lol3
  8. GS Bones

GS Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this ride would fit the bill, as taking luggage would be a bit of an issue (though the Deluxe is not exactly easy to take a lot of luggage on, either....it least mine wasn't when I owned one), but have you considered the new Triumph Bonneville? I test rode one and it was a very easy bike to ride. Easy reach to the ground, smooth as silk, got up and went very nicely, handled great in the twisties, and it is a great looking bike. I would enjoy having one, for sure. And I have sometimes wondered what bike I would put on the short list if my wife was considering having a new bike. The Bonnie would be there, for sure. Fit and finish are very nice (though few bikes beat the Deluxe on that front), quite a bit lighter, easy reach to the ground, great ergonomics for longer rides, especially compared to the Deluxe, and with an aftermarket exhaust, would sound nice, too. Just food for thought.

Bones
  9. Censport

Censport Vendor

Oddometer:
    I'm a smidge under 6', have a 34" inseam, and I loved my '04 Breva 750. Well, except for the gearbox, but they fixed that on later models. So the Breva is good for more than under-tall folks.

There was also an optional low-cut seat for the Breva 750, if you were even more inseam-challanged than average.

Between the Bonnie and the V7 Classic, I'd have to go with the V7. It's 50 lbs lighter than the Bonnie, and looks better between a woman's legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. gocatgo

gocatgo Eres mucho gato

Oddometer:
    I am 5'3" and have a BMW F650GS and R1200RT, both factory lowered. After years of lowering bikes and cutting down seats, I finally found two great bikes that fit right out of the box. :clap :clap :clap
  11. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies.

From what everyone provided I think the lowered F650GS would be one of my/her top options as it has bike specific bags and windshiled for touring.
  12. blk-betty

Oddometer:
    Yea the ability to easily strap on a week or two of gear (along with seat height) and stow it in weatherpoof bags is an issue with a lot of the bikes mentioned without signification modifications.

We can pack a ton on stuff on her Deluxe, with a solo seat placing a large SAC bag on the seat backrest with a small SAC on top of the lagre one, the 2 (albeit small) saddlebags and the HD tourpack mounted behind the SAC bag.

We're starting to get into camping now so carrying a tent, 2 sleeping bags, a and 2 mattress pads is adding gear to the mix. Guess we need to cut down on clothes.
  13. coolbikermom

coolbikermom Just gettin started

Oddometer:
    It will feel very different power-wise from what she's used to. If she tries the "Classic" F650GS, it has 50 hp. That doesn't mean it can't cruise the highway at 80 mph comfortably though. When I bought mine, I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up. Not so, I can pass cars at 90 (indicated speed) and there's still more to go. It lacks the low end torque, but is very easy to ride.

The new F650GS ('09 and above) has the detuned 800 cc engine and has more torque and power. They also have the factory lowered models, low seat option, and luggage.

My lowered bike seat height is 29 inches. Combined with it's light weight, it makes it about the perfect size for me.

Best of luck in her search!
  14. gocatgo

gocatgo Eres mucho gato

Oddometer:
    On my '09 F650GS. I've got the CeeBailys Euro windscreen (awesome) and Jessee bags. I took a 1000+ trip, mostly hiway speeds, and found it surprisingly comfortable with plenty of power (for it's size).
  15. SDDinNH

SDDinNH Ridgerunner

Oddometer:
    It isn' just the "gals" with this problem. I'm 5'9", but with a short inseam and I'm with you. In fact we settled on the same two bikes. :freaky I just couldn't be happier with my choices and my feeling now is that someone should have done this years ago.
  16. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    couple of ortleib bags make the Bonnie a fine all-weather interceptor --

can't comment on teh shield selecction, though -- the Bonnie Pilot prefers the small Triumph necelle
  17. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    +1 Guzzi Breva 750 is a great bike, nice low center of gravity, balanced cylinder wieght on both sides of the bike.. if you don't like spending time clean each spoke on the V7 Classic.. Brava is a great choice for shorter riders.

[​IMG]
  18. blk-betty

Oddometer:
    That Guzzi is a great looking bike. Just checked online, nearest dealer is over 160 miles away with no direct route so looking at 3.5 hours one way. OTO the BMW dealer is 3 blocks down the road from the HD shop - a 20 minute drive from home or work.

Having an HD has given me some level of confidence if a problem were to occur while on the road, a dealer could be found within a relatively short radius of almost anywhere in the states - all things realitive of course.
  19. rhys

rhys Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a 5' 2" dude who likes the modern retro look, and a little exotica, the 'Guzzi Breva was narrow beneath my muscular-stumps-for-legs, and it wasn't a bad reach for the tarmac (though my short man complex would insist on the bigger Breva....).

There is nothing sweeter than a good sounding big twin, and dare I say that some of the sweetest exhaust sound I've heard came from Guzzis with a free-flow exhaust.... both 2-2 and 2-1.

But the problem as I see it is..... readily available parts, competent service techs, and a dealership within an hour's drive. As a third bike (roooight, like I can afford more than one at a time), I'd like to have a modern Moto Guzzi with LOUD ASS but great performing PIPES!!!
  20. GS Bones

GS Bones Long timer

Oddometer:

Ah...I see...with the back rest and other stuff, you can put a lot of stuff on the Deluxe. But the Deluxe is too pretty to get dirty! :D

Camping...you guys are either younger than me (I am sure you are) and surely do not feel the need for a hot shower and warm, dry room after a long day of riding, like I do. My idea of camping is using a VISA and a motel!

The scrambler is easy to put a lot of stuff on, including camping gear, but it is taller than the Bonnie, and at a standstill, feels a lot more top heavy than the Deluxe, even though it is a lot lighter.

Oh, the choices!

Bones