Australian Garmin Rhino

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land' started by hahnelw, Aug 2, 2011.

1. hahnelw

hahnelw Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer:
  2. Doctor

Doctor Banned

Oddometer:
    that is excellent, it was never meant to happen ! good price to, thanx for posting :clap
  3. hahnelw

hahnelw Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer:
    A bit disappointed myself. Just bought a uniden 5w radio before I saw it!

4. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    If anyone shells out the coin for one of these in Aust I would be very keen to speak with them.

Looks like the are the goods.
  5. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    Great idea, just a bit disappointing..
    Only 22 Channels, where as the UHF CB regulations are now allowing up to 80 chans. We could be lucky and this is a US only spec and we get an AU spec one.

Having said that, I too would be interested to hear if anyone has actually bought one and how they go.
  6. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=82798

Physical & Performance:
    Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 6.0 x 19.0 x 4.5 cm
    Display size, WxH: 3.6 x 5.5 cm; 6.6cm diag
    Display resolution, WxH: 160 x 240 pixels
    Display type: transflective, 65-K colour TFT
    Weight: 320 g with battery pack
    Battery: removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack
    Battery life: 14 hours (up to 18 hours with optional AA battery pack)
    Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
    High-sensitivity receiver: yes
    Interface: high-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible

Maps & Memory:
    Basemap: yes
    Preloaded maps: no
    Ability to add maps: yes
    Built-in memory: 1.7 GB
    Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)
    Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000
    Routes: 200
    Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks

Features & Benefits:
    Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes
    Electronic compass: yes (tilt-compensated, 3-axis)
    Barometric altimeter: yes
    Camera: no
    Picture viewer: yes
    Unit-to-unit transfer and ANT+™ compatible: yes
    Hunt/fish calendar: yes
    Sun and moon information: yes
    Area calculation: yes

Other:
    Frequency band: UHF
    Channels: 80
    Squelch codes: 38 (CTCSS); 83 (DCS)
    Transmit power: 0 - 5 watts
    Range: Up to 2 miles over FRS; up to 20 miles over GMRS (US); up to 13 km over GMRS (Canada)
    VOX (voice activation): yes - this will do the job: http://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com/category/0004_motorsports/?p=1&size=2500&viewall=1
    Location reporting (send and receive GPS positions): yes
    Vibration alert: yes
    NOAA weather radio: no

ACCESSORIES:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=82798

Mounts:

Cables:

Batteries:

Lanyards, Straps, Holsters and Clips:

Other: (headset with boom mic)

On The Trail Maps:

Other: (Chirp)
  8. abonko

abonko n00b

Oddometer:
    I took a look at one yesterday. I was so excited by the potential of this device. Unfortunately, it was missing two key features I would need in my setup.

1. No Bluetooth, so it won't connect to my phone or my current helmet headset like my Zumo does.
    2. No PTT button accessory, allowing it to be mounted on the handlebar for easy thumb access while riding. (Having to stop to talk every time would get annoying.)
    I have no doubt it will be a great unit for some. But I'm picky in the setup I'm looking for. :)
  9. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
  10. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The previous Rino 520 was brought to Austarlia by Garmin and is / was compliant (40 CH) for Australia as I had one and used it on my Cape York trip in 2008, 2 mates also had them on the trip and the ability to locate the other Rino users came in handy a couple of times.

The new unit now has a better and easier method of UHF chanel selection as this was cumbersome on the 520 and also the new unit has 80 chanels and this is why they took longer to arrive in Aust than first thought because the Govt changed the number of chanels allowed so Garmin held back to send the latest units.
  11. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the earlier 520 this should be able to be setup with an Autocomm style unit that also connects to your phone and you can hook up a PTT lead as well. Not sure if it is DMME but one of the intercom sellers sells a bluetooth setup that plugs into your UHF making it a Bluetooth unit I think>

Cheers Rick
  12. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    correct it will run a throat mic / head set with a ptt as high lighted in my post 7
  13. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    Happy Snapper got a current Rino and came round the other day to show it off, and load some maps on my Windows PC as he's a Mac fan.

After a bit of trial and error, using Mapsource, we established that it can load Shonky Maps and Tracks4Australia. The only trick appears to be loading them so that they can be selected individually.

We're used to the GPSMap60 map selection method, where different map sets are readily selectable on the unit.

When we selected Tracks4Australia map tiles on the PC and loaded to the unit, all looked fine - could select/deselect the T4A maps. When we then loaded Shonky Maps and Tracks4Australia map tiles on the PC and loaded to the unit, there was only one map set to select/deselect and it appears the map set displayed was the highest priority in that set (can't remember which - think it was T4A).

After a bit of experimentation and looking at the onboard SD card contents, it appears that the default compiled image file on the unit is overwritten by the most recent transfer from the PC. We worked around this by:
    - transferring T4A,
    - renaming the standard image file (something.whateversuffixIforget - I forget its name!) to T4A.whateversuffixIforget
    - transferring Shonky Maps
    - renaming the new standard image file (something.whateversuffixIforget - I forget its name!) to ShonkyMaps.whateversuffixIforget

[edit - default map file is gmapsupp.img]

Happy can now select Shonky Maps or Tracks4Australia individually and pick the most appropriate map set for his location.

I hope this saves other Rino user's some frustration.
  14. ozphotog

ozphotog OZPHOTOG

Oddometer:
    Johhny Appleseed has a buy one, get one free deal on at the moment. If anyone wants to go halves, I would be interested.
  15. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Nice one. Just ran into this same problem. Cheers.
  16. Bigfella66

Bigfella66 n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a Garmin Rino 650 from dirtbikecomms and am very happy with it. They have a headset that will plug into this unit and are working on an adaptor for an ipod and phone to be connected as well. They were very helpfull with the setup. I also purchased maps and mount. This setup has been perfect for me as i ride in the bush and can see where my mates are.
  17. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    I loaded multiple maps as well, just load each individually, then go into the unit and rename the gmapsupp.img file you just created by loading the map to gmapsuppshonky.img for example, then load tracks for australia and then rename that gmapsupptracks.img etc. I have City Navigator, Tracks for Australia, Oztopo 2.1b, Shonky Maps, and the standard basemap all loaded to it now and can select them individually.

Wilmo
  18. Pejie

Pejie old rider

Oddometer:
    sorry to resurrect an old thread. Bought some of these quite some time ago & just got around to fitting a headset & PTT button for the handlebars. (good service from DMME)
    One rino unit works fine the other unit won't recognise the headset properly - the sound goes to the headphones but the PTT button won't work.
    Both running the same software & same settings. Tried the headset on a mates rino 650 & it won't work on it either.
    It did intermittently recognise the headset in one session of trying to get it to work.
    Anyone else had this problem?
  19. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    These Rinos are on sale at Dicky Smiths atm for $199, sounds like a bargain..:clap