Central ADV Homebrewers

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by GSAnderson, Dec 23, 2009.

1. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    First time I've used the hop shots. Those three should yield the theoretical 150IBU's for the 90min Columbus hop addition. Much easier than dealing with another 3.5oz of pellets in the boil :deal
    Actually, a few firsts for that brew... First yeast starter (1600mL) and first time using FermCapS. So far, I like all of them. The pic of the messy carboy is 12hrs after pitching, and we would've boiled over for sure without the FermCapS!

I love a slightly hoppy red!! Dry hopped a red this spring, and it was one of my best beers to date!
  2. zoid

zoid Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer:
    That is freaking awesome. Of course, with the grain bill you had, not surprising.
  3. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
  5. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much did you use? I fill the dropper and squeeze it into a 5 gallon batch. It's at least 1/4 tsp. 2 drops per gallon my ass! :lol3

and I took my contacts out before posting :shog
  6. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Contacts.... lol ;) First time using, so I went with two drops per gallon in the boil. I am glad I got them. That Pliny shit is a BIG beer! It would've been all over the place had I not used any FermCapS.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
  7. lzyellodog

lzyellodog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought this from Cabelas. Works well. Dont use the wok. I needed a burner and this was all they had. I started brewing back in MArch. I have completed and consumed (wth help) about 20 gallons so far using this burner. I have made some additons to it though. I put a wire grate on top and a heat shield to protect the kettles thermometer. I had to add the grate because the pot kept tilting. Dont want to pour hot wort all over me. Almost happened twice.

[​IMG]

Grate
    :[​IMG]

My Belgian Tripel, a little active. I used two strains of yeast on this one. It is still conditioning so not sure how it will turn out. Link to video:
    ">[​IMG]
    I also have two different Lambics fermenting. Cherry and Raspberry.

I have started down the all grain path. Will probably not look back. I bought the coolers from Home Depot and the other gadgets from Northern Brewer. NB is charging too much for the coolers.

The setup:
    [​IMG]

8. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did my 3rd all grain batch on Saturday with my cousin and buddy watching. Of course I had a stuck mash, never happened before. What a mess. Brewed Bee creeks haus pale ale on brewtalk, looking good. Subbed some 50-60l crystal malt and added chinook for aroma. Bubbling away nicely., Using the same home depot cooler for my mashtun setup. Good times.
  9. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    I have yet to stick a mash.... sounds crappy. Just the thought of not ending up with beer, sends shivers down my spine!!!! :D

Anyone ever do a cider?
    Just kegged and sweetened my first. Talk about easy, and talk about tasty!!! Took me 15min to throw in the ale pail. Two weeks later I add some other junk and keg. So, so easy!

10. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    done 4 batches now of cider, and not having a keg makes carbonation with residual sugar hard. Every yeast I try eats all the sugar giving a very carbonated dry apple wine. Flavor is good, but no sweetness. Tried adding apple juice to sweeten, used too much, and have a serious dry apple wine. Oh well, I like it, but girlfriend not so much.

That stuck mash just meant I had to drain the mash tun, unclog the filter and pour it back. Lots of cleaning, but works in the end. Turned out ok, just moved to secondary to get off of yeast cake.
  11. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    All is well that ends well I guess.

From what I have read for bottle conditioning cider:

Back sweeten to taste.
    Bottle. One bottle should be a plastic soda bottle.
    When soda bottle is hard, stove top pasteurise all others.
    Now its all carbed, sweet and the yeast are dead.

Not to be a bummer, but my good buddy zoid, fellow ADVhomebrewer, hit a deer last night on his way home from work. He is in the ICU with severe concussion and lots of other stuff. I ask all of you to raise a glass of your finest on thanksgiving for him. I can't express how great of a guy he is, and all of us here in Nebraska are praying for a quick and full recovery.
  12. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    Shit. Hope he heals quickly. :freaky
  13. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser

Oddometer:
    Ick, no shit! If you talk to him let him know he's got folks pulling for him.

[​IMG]

That's the only picture I could find of him but he's the dude with the ponytail and his back to the camera. Great guy!
  14. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    Buying a kegging setup was worth just for cider alone. Like you said, 2 weeks and you have tasty, sweet, carbonated cider.

I just finished a keg of pumpkin spice ale so I have room in the kegerator now for a cider I have sitting in secondary that I plan to dry hop.
  15. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Really? Is that good??

P.S. Zoid is doing better every day. Went to see him yesterday, and he says hi.... lol
    [​IMG]

16. Tinner

Tinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    P.S. Zoid is doing better every day. Went to see him yesterday, and he says hi.... lol
    [​IMG]

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.[/QUOTE]

Don't know him. But I am glad to see this.
  17. Tinner

Tinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two batches this weekend.

Friday was a Red Ale extract kit modified with Pumpkin Pie Spice. Had planned to this one about a month ago.
    Saturday was my first Partial mash Speckled Heifer from NB. I can definitely see All Grain in my future.:1drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Just kegged "my" Pliny the Elder. I tried the 'shake to carb' method for the first time...patients is a vertue :lol3

Tastes good! :clap
  19. Tinner

Tinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "my"
    That is kewl. I only have 3 batches under my belt. I did a little recipe modification by adding some dextrose and the pumpkin pie spice to the red ale. But it was info. that I read else where. I will get there eventually.

:freaky
  20. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. He looks cozy :norton with just a pinch of get me the fuck out of here.