leaner questions

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by flukey, Mar 18, 2014.

1. flukey

flukey n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. I've got an M63 ural that I've tarted up with new carbs, elec ignition, etc etc basically everything needed to make it reliable.
    I've managed to secure myself a duna boat and have flipped frame and guard to left hand side. LHS mount is necessary for registration.
    Not shying away from a challenge, I have been keenly following posts about leaners and this is the way I want to go for 2 reasons. Firstly, it's cool, and secondly, the bike is kickstart only and the kickstarter goes 90 degrees out from the bike on the left hand side. This means there is a chance that a slipped boot during starting could result in a heel going into my pride and joy boat.
    [​IMG]
    Questions for all y'all good folk:
    • I've seen a few australian based leaners on the forum here and was particularly keen to know if anybody in NSW has gotten their leaner certified. Our state government says this is required if you're fitting a sidecar. Quality of work isn't my worry so much, it's potentially getting pinged by insurance following an accident. I could argue my case against certification if I was fitting a std russian boat and std russian 4 point mounts but a leaner is surely pushing your luck. Any input? Willi Jens, are you a new south welshman?
    • what's the width of your leaner outfit from bike centreline to sidecar wheel cl? more gap between bike and boat helps my starting cause but keen to know what others have or recommended limits.
    • what size and grade rose joints are recommended? M16 or 5/8 stainless and teflon lined SS ok? (basically get the best and biggest possible?)
    • any point of having a brake in the 3rd wheel or will that actually pull you off the road?
    • finally, has anybody got pics they can share of lean angle 'limit stops' incorporated into their rig?

thanks for your help folks!

[​IMG]
  2. Hellracer.nl

Hellracer.nl What the hack???

Oddometer:
    I've built my own leaner and I drive it regularly. It's great fun and very easy.
    -Since I live in Holland my rig is RHS set up and I don't need an approval from any government agency.
    -My track with is 145cm, that's pretty big.
    -The joints I use are M20 industrial grade. I wouln't go smaller.
    -I've thought about fitting a brake but you'll have to make it adjustable because a leaner is quite sensitive to load. Other leaner drivers I talked to say that a sidecar brake is not preferable.
    The lean stop I've got is the footrest mounting plate that touches the sidecare frame. No rubber bumper stop.

[​IMG]
  3. flukey

flukey n00b

Oddometer:
    That's great feedback, thanks Hellracer. 145 is a surprise. 110 is std ural sidecar track. 145 must be feasible in practice on your rig so I might up mine a bit. Thanks again
  4. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it when people think of doing some thing like putting a leaner onto your make of bike:clap .
    I made a leaner for the wife's kle 500 .I liked it it was great fun for me to ride,but we ended up mounting it solid as the wife would not ride it as when she was going slow it felt like it was going to fall over .I am still thinking of putting it back to a leaner with a damper or some thing that will slow down how quick it leans over?.Please keep posting updates. I like what you are doing and it will be great to hear the out come.
    cheers Ian
  5. Hiho

Hiho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Western Australian standards and ADRs state a maximum width of 185cm from outside handlebar to outside of the sidecar.
    Rose joints i get from the USA and the last lot were from Filthy Motorsports. FX teflon 3/4 inch rated at 28000 lb. Good people to deal with.
    On the XJR1300 we made a stop from the engine mount to the front rail on the chassis, with the Roadliner we had it from the swingarm to the rear rail of the chassis.
    Aim for a minimum distance between the rose joints of 32 inches and a height differance of 4 1/2 inches. We have built four of these now and it works really well.
    Any questions please ask.
    You will see two of these on the Black Dog Ride around Australia in July-August this year.
    Cheers
  6. flukey

flukey n00b

Oddometer:
    wow 32 inch. Might struggle with that. at least 4" height should be manageable

it would be pretty close to 32 long if I fill up all the space:
    [​IMG]
    Length is limited by mud flap at the front and centre stand at the rear

but I was hoping for less just because it's easier to anchor it all off the standard engine bolts - which are only about 9 inches apart
    [​IMG]

thanks for feedback - adding anchor points off the frame might be the go instead of this ^^ contraption

engine is currently out of the frame - have been working on adding a reverse gearbox (bike has always been a solo) and freshening up a few bits. Engine will be back in next week and after some tuning I'll be ready to start cutting and welding for the boat.

+ thanks pops, really looking forward to getting it out on the road, gonna be a wild looking thing coming down the road :)
  7. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    I used the center stand mounts for the rear and the front motor bolts.
  8. Hiho

Hiho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dont use a bolt fixing at the rear. Get a pivot turned up that the rose joint slips over and tap a bolt into the centre to hold it. Simple and takes less room allowing longer frame length.
  9. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:

don't over engineer it....
    http://imageshack.com/a/img856/3788/ssa41552.jpg

10. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    This is my subframe:
    [​IMG]
  11. flukey

flukey n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey hellracer, is it only 4 bolts holding the subframe to the engine or are you picking up the rear of the gearbox too.
  12. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    It's mainly the 4 bolts at the gearbox, the 4 bolts at the engine side are just for stability.
  13. flukey

flukey n00b

Oddometer:
    HI folks, she's done:

[​IMG]
  14. NitroMax

NitroMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw it on FaceBook a couple of moments ago ;)
  15. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Nice! :clap
  16. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    Wow!! She's lovely!
    And the girl looks good too!
    :clap
  17. Hiho

Hiho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet looking rig. Are you enjoying the way it handles?
  18. flukey

flukey n00b

Oddometer:
    G'day Hiho,
    It's handling better than I expected. I need to brace the engine cradle a bit more because there's a little bit of flex on the front mount - the track / alignment goes out a bit but mainly only noticeable on bumps at 100km/hr.

Half of the handling issues are probably in my head anyway - never had a sidecar before so still getting used to things like cross winds and buffeting from trucks, the front end getting a bit vague at slow speed and generally just working harder to ensure the right positioning on the road.
  19. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had the same slow speed handling trouble.with the kle500 leaner.
    I would like to put a damper of some sort to slow down how quick it leans over ?
    On my next leaner.
    A honda st 1300.
    I am not even sure if it would help,when going slow when the road is uneven.
    For a leaner a lighter sidecar is better. ?
    cheers Ian.
  20. Hiho

Hiho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Pops, the word is a lighter chair is better but I had no issues with my last one at about 140kg. I think the critical part is the distance between the two rose joints.
    The Motokafe we have built for the Black Dog Ride is about 130kg on a guzzi belagio. No problem with this either, but hit the mark with the distance for the rose joints.
    Try for around 32inches with 4-4 1/2 height.