Lap of America

Discussion in 'Americas' started by G'Ville, Jun 4, 2011.

1. G'Ville

G'Ville Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I am 58 years old, bought a new 2011 GSA (yellow) been asking all kinds of dumb questions about the bike and am starting to plan a trip I have wanted to take all my life. A Lap of America. I have beed riding for 50 years and feel confident I can handle the road part. I would like to spend about 8 weeks on the road leaving from upsate NY and spending a couple of weeks at my daughters house in Oakland.

This trip originated because three years ago I lost my wife to cancer after being with her 35 years, one year after that I lost my job ( my fault I gave up on life and everything else) after two years coming out of a depression I found a new love then she dumped me on the anniversery of my wifes death, them my mom dies. I gotta tell you I feel the hand of time on my shoulder.

So the only thing left is my dog and she is old and failing, so after that if I maintain some sanity I am on the road.

The question is if I head south to the west how do I know what are the routes to take to see what the US has to offer. I know a few things I would like such as part of rt66, Bonneville just to be on the flats. The northern route home I would like to see the national parks and camp, sturgis just because, the badlands, well you guys know the drill.

To all the guys that do this stuff, how do you start planning the trip. I have taken many week long trips with my wife she loved to ride, but nevber this much of an adventure. What do you do about tire changes and stuff like that. One thing I need to figure out is I am on insulin so I have to keep a supply of that and the required stuff that goes along with it.

Any advise is appreciated, thanks.
  2. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    Tenting or getting a hotel/motel?

Until I know, I will offer this.

Set a date you wish to get to the Kids.
    pick a spot on the map, head theat way, get there, do it for the next stop.

worry about dates more than anything.

I went from Missoula to DFW in a day and a half. 3 miles of interstate. 1800 miles
    I have also taken 5 days to go 900 miles.

every time I pick a route it goes to shit, and I just have fun.
    Enjoying the ride is what it is about. Not planning.

I am doing my final lap of 3 very soon.

I am sitting here trying to figure out how Iwant to do the last part.

Montana in July
    Milwauke when I leave TX
    then down into ABQ, then to Florida.

Gotta be in FL first'ish part of August.

thats my plannin' :lol3
  3. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:

ANY route gets you there if it points in the right direction. Most are more scenic than you can imagine.

Contact the tourist bureau of each state you wish to go through. Most will offer free maps and at least, every state has a tourist website.

Where to go is all dependent on what you want to see. Not everyone gives a shit about a big ball of twine or a windmill museum, but that stuff is important to someone.

Like Thumper said, travel according to your dates. Have a basic idea of direction, a list of things to see and ride accordingly. Never try to see it all in one try. You can't. See enough to be happy and save the rest for the next trip.

Shit happens, weather happens, road construction happens, things get sold out, rained out or just plain suck to begin with.

Start with brand new tires, understand an approximate distance they will last and preplan. You said you want to spend time with your daughter? Have tires shipped to her house and mounted by a local shop during some down time. Oil change as well would be perfect and only a short afternoon event. If you haven't worn out your original tires, ship them home and use them later. Front tires generally last twice as long as rears, so maybe you only need to worry about the rear.

Route 66 is historical, but traditionally as interesting as a Walmart parking lot. Except the parts out west. The majority is just the frontage road along I-55, I-44 and I-40. Any bookstore has more information of the scenic parts. It's the art deco period that makes it interesting. Unless you're old enough to remember the television show.

Your doctor should have the info needed for insulin. Maybe multiple scripts that can be filled at Walgreens, CVS or Walmarts nationwide.

Other than that, GO. An overplanned trip is just a commute. Get to know the locals, avoid interstates, eat only at independent local joints, sleep under the stars, meow at dogs, bark at cats and don't piss on an electric fence.
  4. G'Ville

G'Ville Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, I will plan on camping and motel stays. Camping when I am staying more than one night so I can have a base camp of sorts to see the area, motel if I am just passing through and need rest. You guys are right it is up to me to plan the route, I was just looking for some tips on the best roads heading that way. I have been reading alot of the posts on here and there seems to be a lot of information on the road already given out so I will keep reading and put a route together. Thanks
  5. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Insulin:

Talk to your doctor and let him know what you are planning.

When our son would travel, he had a combination of natural and synthetic insulins he would take. The natural insulin would go in a small soft sided cooler and would be topped up with ice from gas station drink fountains a couple times of day.
  6. Section8

Section8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What has worked for me as far as road ideas is the "Harley Owners Group" "Touring handbook", as I ventured across the United States and Canada, being overwhelmed with choices, the most scenic roads are highlighted throughout each state and provincial map and it has been the basis of all of my trips.
  7. RocknTroll

RocknTroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another way I do it is make waypoints for places I want to see on the GPS, and just kinda head in that genneral direction, if weather changes your route just search for one of your other waypoints an head in that dirrection.

The only thing is seeing something on a certian date, it would kinda suck getting to the salt flats the week after they run
  8. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, my sympathies.

Your adventure will be just a bunch of day trips. No problem amigo! Jeez, so much to see out here in the west. Do you have any kind of "i want to see" list?

From Oakland you're close to so much nice stuff. Crater, Lassen, Redwoods, Yosemite, Kings & Sequoia, Hwy 1, hwy 120 east out of Yos., eastern side of Sierra.........

Upstate NY. My dad always used that term-born and raised in Jamestown.

BTW-what Uglyprimate & Thumper say!! Experience speaks.

Also, RT 66-fuggetaboutit. Better stuff to see elsewhere.

If you get to So. Cal. & hungry-I'm buying.
  9. G'Ville

G'Ville Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I might take you up on that, but be warned, I didn't get to be this size by not eating:D
  10. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    G'Ville,

First, may I please extend my condolences over the passing of your wife. She must have been very special to you. Therefore, I would suggest doing this trip in her honor - maybe the first of many such trips.

May I also suggest doing some research to find some destinations between here and there that you would like to see. Then, connect the dots on the map and be flexible with your routes. Try this as opposed to mapping a route and then finding things to see along the way. Have reasonable goals each day and flexibility for the unexpected so the trip remains an enjoyable memory for years to come.

I hope this trip helps guide you back to a sense of "normalcy" in your life that your wife would have liked to see you enjoy. In the midst of it all, remember the old adage, "Pray hardest when it's hardest to pray."

Godspeed!
  11. Callahan

Callahan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that one piece of equipment that will help you not need to specifically plan too far in advance, let you find details of camping or hotel or insulin and other places to visit, would be a Netbook.
  12. G'Ville

G'Ville Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I'll bite what is a netbook
  13. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    small laptop computer.

I have been dragging mine around for 2+ years.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  16. Strimstrum

Strimstrum n00b

Oddometer:
    We completed 6,500 miles through USA in May/June on 1200GS entering from UK at Baltimore and headed south through Maryland,Virginia,Georgia,Alabama,Mississippi,Louisiana,Texas,New Mexico,Arizona,Nevada,California,Oregon,Washington State. Had a great time staying mostly in Motel 6 or similar for around $39 a night. We carried laptops so that we could stay in touch with family, stay in touch with news and also book ahead if we needed to but we never found a Motel that was full (except once in Virginia where it was plain that the guy just didn't like bikers).

We didn't plan a particular route just rode until we felt like stopping.

We are currently waiting for our bikes to arrive here in Vladivostok, Russia from Seattle where we shipped them from so we can carry on west and complete our round world trip. http://strimstrum.blogspot.com tells the story so far if you are interested but I would say 100% do it.

Martin :norton
  17. G'Ville

G'Ville Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the reponse, it looks like you have taken the route I want to take. I appreciate the encouragement. I still am in the process of gathering information and camping supplies, I also need to find someone to take care of the house while I am away since I expect to be on th eroad for at least 8 weeks total.
  18. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    We have been planning a cross country trip for almost a year, and came up with a route which would cover as much is possible given our strict 3 weeks + weekend time limit. Basically, we ride fast roads through MidWest and explore the interesting places west of Denver and Grand Rapids. With 8 weeks to spare you can be more relaxed and visit more places, but our routes could be a good place to start.
    Part 1 1700m 29h40m
    Part 2 1096m 26h30m
    Part 3 1470m 31h45m
    Part 4 1817m 37h
    Part 5 1543m 30h40m
  19. G'Ville

G'Ville Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks that is quite a trip planner, I will borrow some of it, It looks like it takes me close to places I have wanted to go, thanks you very much.
  20. Dan Man

Dan Man ex-adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recommend Mad Maps. They are motorcycle maps that will highlight great roads to ride, whilst also providing information. They are waterproof and non-ripping. I would recommend ordering them before so you can get the states in question. The downside is at around $10 a pop, it can add up to $100 before you know it. Most maps include two states.

I found it easiest to pick places I wanted to see in route to Alaska, and then string roads along between them. Usually picking the most out of the way or twistiest. Plus you will always be asking people at gas stations, restaurants, campgrounds, etc what they recommend. Tell them you want scenic and slow and youll find something good. And remember that people opinions of 'road conditions' vary DRAMATICALLY.

Hope you have a fantastic time, to make up for the hardships of recently.