Transporting beer

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jeff B, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    I packed some Guinness in the topbox [Guinness tastes good warm] Rode up to the Bald Eagle Bastard's 7 Mts campout. Had a blast. Unfortuanatly the nitrogenated cans also had a blast. All over everything in the Givi E-52. I suspected it might be a problem, but took the gamble and lost. Just posting this to maybe save the next guy from some grief.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    They best way I've found to carry beer is in a soft cooler riding in my lap. Really.
  3. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Packed a six pack of Coors in my Top box (Filled the top box with Ice too)on a two day 200 mile offroad ride. We stopped and set up camp and My Bud made the comment "Man a beer would sure be nice to have" So I walked over to my top box and popped a cold one for him. He looked like this guy :eek1 then he looked like this guy :D . And I was doin this:lol3
  4. TRKTEK

TRKTEK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Silly concept...beer does not travel well...it is recommended that you don't even put beer in the door of your fridge as that is too much travel...(door swinging open on occasion). Purchased fresh from as close as it is brewed is the answer...

When in Rome....[​IMG]

Or Montana...:D
  5. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a few essential non-essentials that can be packed if you just give it some forethought: soft bread, eggs, fresh fruit, beer. I don't do any off-roading so I can buy most of that type stuff at the end of the riding day. For beer, a soft-side cooler can hold a six pack with ice and can even be carried like a back pack.
  6. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Should of mentioned that the 7 Mts campout ride that it took was all dirt and gravel. Pavement probably would not have been a problem. I told one of my friends about the beer transporting problem and he shook his head and said,

"One more reason you should start smoking pot"
  7. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planning ahead is the key to carrying beer.

I would scope out where I would be camping for the night then double back and buy a 10lbs bag of ice and 12 pack of beer.
    A lot of times I'd just stock up with a good beer if I spotted a likable liquor store late in the afternoon. Nearly any service spot near where you camp has the ice.
    Generally I was surprised how often I'd find good beer in out of the way little towns all around the USA. That Redhook Long hammer ale has a remarkably good distribution coast to coast.
    I've got a expandable small backpack which holds the ice wrapped in a fleece jacket along with a 6 pack. The other six beers fit into the expandable explorer tank bag. The ice also doubles as a source for drinking water.
  8. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had 100% success rate carrying bottled beer in my soft sided REI cooler. I do pack with some precautions; I roll each bottle into a slightly used, smaller size bath towel. For example, roll 1, make a lap on the bottle, insert next bottle, make a lap with the towel, add another....etc. I've gotten pretty good at keeping the shape compact and optimized for the cooler shape. I then layer on ice. The towel helps protect the bottles AND keeps the beer insulated. I carry it behind my main duffle, fully exposed, on my rear rack. I traveled across several CO passes - even dumping the bike once or twice - and never broken a bottle. The side cases take most of the punishment in a fall.

Of course, I do have to have to let things settle down before popping the top after a spill...:lol3
  9. B DIRT

B DIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    your moms house startn a small fire in her panties
    I hauled 12 cans like this
    [​IMG]

and a buddy hauled a heine keg like this
    [​IMG]

the cans were in the bags for an hour and a half and the keg we picked up about twenty minutes down the trail, def ice cold cans
  10. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:

So there's the solution. You guys bring the beer.

Attached Files:

11. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a soft cooler full of ice with as much beer as "needed" until the next stop and secure it to the back rack with a bungy net. Keeps everything packed tight as the ice melts and beer gets turned to piss. The cooler I'm using this year even has a nifty little velcro door in the lid so you can just reach in without messing with zippers or pulling the net off.

On the very back before camp it's full;
    [​IMG]

In the morning, not so full and ready for the next fill of steak and beer;
    [​IMG]
  12. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jack Daniels travels well in a steel flask. just sayin.
  13. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with cheating here. :D

The beer cooler also provides for temp refrigeration for eats.
  14. snowman318

snowman318 Future Corpse

Oddometer:
    We always bu.y at the end of the ride. If this pic loads you will see why I am requested for storage. Doubles as a seat:freaky
    Sorry it didn't load
    Its a 48 qt cooler set up as a top box
    I'll try to load later
  15. Tooth

Tooth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally a useful thread on this forum:dutch
  16. azmuth

azmuth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An excellent thread. Keep 'em coming and don't forget your pics!
    :freaky
  17. gwedo

gwedo old enough to know better

Oddometer:
    soft side cooler ,18 cans of what ever ,standing up,:freaky ice in ,blanket from mexico on top straped down real good has worked on the last 12 trips.as ice melts and a few wobily pops are removed add 1 bottle yagermister.repeat as needed
  18. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff,thanks for stopping to see if i had a problem on our way home from 7 mtns.(blue KLR)
    Yuengling beer! I live 1/2 mile from the brewery.
    As for carrying beer ,i use a trick from when i backpack,i wrap my sleeping bag around it.(in a garbage bag) stabilizes it and ya would be amazed how cold it stays.
  19. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    End of day beer stop is the way to go.

Otherwise I just bring a bottle of bourbon and sip it neat. By 'otherwise' I mean all the time. :lol3
  20. DingDangKid

DingDangKid El Lechero

Oddometer:
    This option would work well if you had a modular or open face helmet.
    [​IMG]