Charge battery through PowerLet socket with Battery Tender?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by flashover604, Nov 2, 2011.

1. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    Pretty simple question. I have a 2003 640 Adventure. It has the PowerLet socket on the dash. I have a battery tender jr. Would there be any problem charging the battery through the PowerLet socket? I've seen an adapter that has a PowerLet male end on one end, and the same end as the battery tender on the other. It'd be nice to be able to just plug it in and not have another lead up around the handlebars...
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to determine how the Powerlet socket is wired up on your bike first.
  3. SCsurfer

SCsurfer surfing explorer

Oddometer:
    The socket will work . I ran mine direct to the battery . I tied it up along the right side of the subframe and it is right behind the rear of the number plate . Easy access and no problems in 3 years .
  4. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    I'm going to trace it back, but I'm guessing it's just straight back to the battery through a fuse. I'll just have to check polarity with the adapter before plugging the tender in. I know which is which on the tender...
  5. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the PowerLet is hot with the key off, and the fuse is large enough for the Battery Tender charge rate (1.25 amp), sure.
  6. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    Did you see this part in your owner's manual?

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Tseta
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    now why would he have seen that, ur supposed to ignore the user manual and instructions for anything you buy :lol3
  8. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
    It works until you do something stupid like hit the starter button with it plugged it when your battery is dead. That little cable is not going to be happy about the 30 or 40 amps your starter motor requires. :baldy
  9. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    I've kept my 640 on the rickle charger like this for years without a hitch.

By the way, should the fuse for the dash powerlet plug we're discussing ever blow, where is it located?

Dirty
  10. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    These things come with a manual? Who'd have thought. Thanks for the help.

Hey dirty, took her out last weekend. Even on kinda Kendas, (bald 270s) it still had no problem, even on a slick, muddy uphill. Sounds good on video too! The fan didn't kick on, so I peeled off and went home to troubleshoot. Pulled the plug off the thermoswitch in the radiator, shorted with a paperclip, and the fan works. I'm going to wire in a bypass switch when I replace the one in the radiator so I can turn the fan on when I want, or let it work as normal. Where did you get the switches and boots? Fastenal?
  11. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    This is mentioned in the owner's manual as well. On the Adventure, all the fuses are located under the seat, on top of the battery, next to the regulator/rectifier. It is the same fuse that protects the speedo and capacitator, and as such, there is actually a typo in the original instructions: the fuse is 10A in size. On my bike (and according to the '03 manual & wiring diagram), this particular fuse is "Fuse 2", located immediately next to the 20A main fuse in the fuse holder.

-T
  12. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I did this on my V-Max, I added a 12v LED lamp to remind me the fan was on manually.
  13. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    I typically disbelieve most everything Dirty says, but I have had a Battery Tender Jr. on my '03 640A through the Powerlet port for years.

My OE Yuasa lasted 7+ years... :slurp
  14. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Ralph's Electronics for the switches and boots.

Good idea on wiring in a switch for when the going gets slow.

These things use batteries?

I know of the fuse block under the seat, but didn't know if the powerlet plug had some lonesome fuse holder offt all by itself somewhere.

Dirty
  15. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Oh...Oh....Oh Yeah?

:freaky

Dirty
  16. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    Great idea. I'll work that in. I want to put a couple brighter LEDs for the turn signal indicators a little higher on the fairing. I hate looking down and seeing that little green light flashing. "How long has THAT been on??" maybe if they're a little closer to my field of vision I'll notice them. I hope I stop before this thing looks like a damn gold wing...
  17. idahoskiguy

idahoskiguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can do it.......used to do it myself.

Much better to install the Battery Tender connector directly to the battery and run it out from under the seat. Connector is only a few bucks and works great.

Just my $.02