Hampster Ride - Dirt route the length of New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by FreeTheBeast, May 27, 2014.

1. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Thank you FTB and all who help. I know how I'm getting to Cromag this year!
  2. captain crunch

captain crunch huckleberry Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll follow you
  3. vmcrcr

vmcrcr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unable to download into mytracks on my phone from dropbox. Probably user error.
  4. Para504

Para504 Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the tracks! :clap
  5. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed a couple tiny mistakes in the southern portion of the route. I've uploaded a new GPX file to Dropbox. These two mistakes were very minor, but I wouldn't want anyone to go up someone's driveway unexpectedly.

I'm also going to put the link in the first post of this thread so people can find the latest version quickly and easily.

Work in progress. :freaky

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100077719/2014/HampsterRide_v02.GPX
  6. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    groovy. thanks.
  7. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    this link is not working like the first link. 1st link took me to dropbox. This link opens and displays the contents of the gpx file. I think I can copy the contents into a file but it is not as easy as the first link was.

Was not able to copy content out of chrome browser....did CTRL-A highlighted the whole thing to copy and locked up chrome.....

Did a right click and a "Save As" in the file contents and was able to save it as a text file

Renamed the file by removing ".txt" so the file ext. was "gpx" and it came into mapsource and basecamp just fine....
  8. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same problem here. Mrs Trip and I are planning to run this route northbound starting on 7/6.
  9. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    For some reason, the file downloads to my computer with .GPX.txt as a file extension.

I renamed the file by removing .txt, leaving only .GPX as the extension. This seemed to work.

I have no idea why .txt is getting added. The export process in Garmin Basecamp seems to work properly. Could be some stupid problem in Dropbox.
  10. BKMLWR

Oddometer:

the path to v01 did not look the same as the link path on v02
  11. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
  12. BKMLWR

Oddometer:
  13. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Well, you know Huck, I never get lost. :cromag
  14. captain crunch

captain crunch huckleberry Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're not lost, we are wandering.
  15. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
  16. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    Tired of rain.

Bringing a passenger.

Will do the Hampster up to and including lunch :dg
  17. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out shortly to check out as much as I can manage of the northern half...if Garmin's calculations are right, it should be a very long but very fun day in the saddle. My OSM-derived mapset had three places where the roads didn't show going through...from the orthoimagery, two of them pretty clearly are mapping errors.

The third, well, can't tell much from the orthoimages. But I've got knobbies, so I'm perfectly happy to have a look :evil
  18. ridesdirt

ridesdirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am curious what you encounter for closed gates (hopefully none!!). This is going to be a fun route to the Great North Woods :clap

I am in CT and would first take the TMT to Springfield. Then ride some of the PDR and cut over to NH and go Northward from there. :deal This going to be an "adventure" :ricky
  19. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Very interested to see what you can put together for the top section!
  20. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a good, full day of riding in...left the house at 0730, arrived back around 2120. I did find some good stuff, but I also found some gates and some ATV trails. Oh, and the critter count for the day: four deer (including a fawn with its mother), one moose, one bear and a whole ton of partridge.

In broad strokes, Groveton to Colebrook more or less skunked me (the Nash Stream Road is an awesome ride...but it doesn't go through; the road on the route is gated and looks to be snowmachine trail more than roadway. From Colebrook north, I had to reroute to ATV trail briefly to avoid a road signed "Private Driveway, please respect our privacy" with sawhorses in the middle of the road.

[​IMG]
    Brook Road, Lancaster

South of Colebrook, everything did go (and without anything funky) except for Brook Road in Lancaster. The gravel roadway ended at a grassy roadway with a small "No Trespassing sign." The surface hidden by the grass looked a bit damp when I looked closer, and that was still a mile from where my GPS said the road ended, so I decided to reroute. I backtracked a bit on the main road and picked up Gore Road, which connects to Pleasant Valley Road and then through to pick up the track on Lost Nation Road, all of which is good gravel. There's some lesser gravel showing on the map in that area, too, but I didn't keep exploring. On further investigation, the state of Vermont roadway data shows Brook Road to continue through as a class VI right-of-way, so it might be a possible hero section (I'm assuming, based on what I saw, that it's not going to be big-bike friendly...but maybe it would be if it hadn't just rained).

Just outside of Lisbon, the connection between Butson Rd. and Pearl Lake Rd. is two-track; the access from Butson looks kind like a driveway but isn't posted or anything, and the two-track is solid (i.e. good, firm surface)—there were puddles from yesterday's rain, but nothing deep or soggy-bottomed that I found. There was another road, whose location I am now forgetting, that was signed "No Outlet" and then "Class VI Road — Subject to Gates and Bars" but went through just fine.

Oh, and I didn't make it all the way up the Inlet road. I was stymied by a "no motorized travel" sign on a sawhorse. And if I had hypothetically gone around said sawhorse, I would have found that several culverts had washed out recently, the first two of which might hypothetically be reasonable to cross on an 1150 and the third of which was a hypothetical 48"-ish culvert that was washed out on both hypothetical sides and thus would require either turning around or hitting it at 30+ MPH and bunny hopping...

[​IMG]

I'd have to guess—given that I saw a fair number of recently-repaired culverts riding out there—that road will be open again in the not-too-distant future. I could be wrong, though, given that you can apparently get to either side of it from other open-to-vehicles roadways.

Also, there are damned good maps posted at kiosk-type installations in many intersections in that northern forest area. The maps are apparently prepared by NH Dept. of Safety, and had I realized I wouldn't be able to find more details about the map (i.e. order one online or download a PDF), I'd have taken a better photo of one of them.

I will be able to provide GPX files for further review, but I need to finish pulling them off the device first (and I will be providing a significant disclaimer with them...I definitely rode stuff today that I wouldn't call big-bike friendly, and I'm fairly sure that once I started trying to reroute, I ended up in some places that may not have been entirely open to motorcycles).

The views aren't bad, though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]