Finally back on a real motorcycle, thanks Erik...

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by 996DL, Oct 18, 2012.

1. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Drove the old chev pickup a total of twelve hours Wed., to source a private sale 2010 XB12X shocking yellow Ulysses, with 7500kms (4650 miles) on the clock.

Insured and plated today, set tire pressures, adjusted suspension to specs, added fuel stabilizer as winter's a day or two away this far north and put 150kms on in the dark tonight.

Finally the perfect excuse, to flog my owned since new 2004 DL1000 for next to nothing :wave, eight years of not enjoying this bike is finally over ! :happay

A little more tinkering for a bike with a soul, is a worthwhile tradeoff.

The VStrom, if I might sum it up for myself personally, always felt like riding a wooden traffic barricade with a GREAT motor, forever riding AROUND the bike's inadequacies, rather than feeling conjoined with a beloved mount.

996DL
  2. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice score...there are not a lot of 2010s around, they had some good upgrades. Enjoy your ride! :1drink
  3. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Oh, and an interesting tidbit right from the horse's mouth, there will be a Rotax powered Ulysses, in the not too distant future. Was trying to get someone at EBR to discuss their custom mapped ecm's and ended up with someone from a far different department, who spoke of more models coming soon and later a Rotax Uly for certain. :pynd

996DL
  4. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:

:clap:clap
  5. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the the goodwill on the Uly's purchase gents, thank you. :thumb

I had very little time to snap up this distant bike and slip in a brief ride before tucking it away, for virtually the immediate arrival of winter here. But I did... :wink:

I near purchased a new firesale priced 09 XB12X back in Jan. 2010, but passed on it :(: and thankfully a close friend purchased it instead. :webers

It didn't do much to quell the LUST though, for owning a last gen Ulysses (2008-2010), rather quite the opposite, being able to eyeball it and see and hear it run at times... :tb

After an always open invitation to ride it, late this summer we swapped bikes, as I was tired of merely thinking it would've been a extremely viable, cost effective alternative to my dreadful 04 DL1000 and needed to know whether it really suited my requirements for a stable, smooth and comfortable touring platform.

My only other rides on a Buell up to this point, had been another close friend's owned since new, last gen tuber 01 M2. Years ago, many miles were gifted to me on this bike and helped to dispel totally, my distrust in the Buell experience. :wave:thumb

To be continued... :huh

After all, you were falling asleep anyways... :bueller

996DL
  7. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I LOVE my 07. Being new to Buell, you have to get used to the the odd noises now and then, the right side heat, and possibly re-mapping the ecm depending pn preference.. BUT.. When you get on a curvy backroad, or lay down mile after mile on the super slab, You smile!
  8. Mnrider2

Mnrider2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new ride!
    Every time I ride mine I'm happier with it.
  9. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Soon to be ad in FM:

"2004 DL1000 for sale. Best bike I ever owned, perfect in every way. Great suspension. I love this bike, but after eight years of bliss, unfortunately I have to sell it." :deal

Congrats on the new (to you) XT. I'm not a Harley guy but I love Erik's creations.
  10. unlucky1

unlucky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its such a rad bike, I am maybe a little jealous of your 2010.

I had a similar buying experience in February. Gassed up the ol Ranger for a 10 hour round trip horse trade - my 07 vstar 1300 for his 06 Uly. I fixed the fuel pump wiring defect, replaced the tires, and put in a K&N like the bike was mapped for and it's been smooooth sailing.

On the way home:

[​IMG]

On the way home... from Sturgis, 9,000 fantastic miles later:

[​IMG]
  11. chefgreasemonkey

chefgreasemonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your new ride!
    My 06 will turn 64k on the way to work tomorrow and this is my favorite bike i have owned, still runs great but i did just pick up a Super TT with 1500 mi which will be a heart donor when and if necessary!
    (I do plan on riding the heck out of the TT in the mean while)
  12. unlucky1

unlucky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you have any major surprises in the last 15k? I only ask because mine will cross 50k very soon.
  13. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    May have to consider your suggestions, for phrasing the ad for the DL1000 come spring Mr. Canoehead. :wink:
    More likely I'll remove the expensive bits (countless) and sell them seperately on various forum sites and advertise the bike close to stripped, for a very reasonable price. Either way it's gone, long gone... :nod

Prepping quickly for the what turned out to be a night ride, I set the suspension (preload, compression and rebound settings) for a 170 to 200 lbs rider, when in reality I'm 200 lbs without gear, but thought the softer settings would help, considering the temps were barely over 40 degrees F.

WRONG, although the night ride was an absolute hoot, the handling was WAY off, not suprising considering that Buell's are considered extremely sensitive to suspension setup. The next day in preperation for a trip to a friend's garage for storage, I reset to a more sensible base of a 200 to 230 lbs rider and as suggested in the owner's manual, backed off the compression and rebound settings half a turn, to compensate for the low temps. Voila, whole different bike handling wise, no suprise really and just a teaser, to show how this bike will be a pleasure to dial in and enjoy learning while doing it ! :raabia

996DL
  14. chefgreasemonkey

chefgreasemonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you have any major surprises in the last 15k? I only ask because mine will cross 50k very soon.

Last 15k have been painless as been most of it.
    Issues since new, the 77 connector left me down on the first weekend i had it, diagnosed and fixed on the side of the road before my tow arrived, not an issue since.
    Snap a belt in the high 20's, my fault, i'll say no more.
    Approximately 34k throttle body shaft broke, dead on the road, this and a set of rear wheel bearings are the only tine it left me stranded.
    I change the fluids, adjust the clutch, lube and tighten, maintenance is stupid crazy!
    I have an 1125 CR which i am putting up for sale (any interest?) it's one of a hell faster and a lot of fun but just doesn't speak to me like the XB's
  15. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having put about 90K miles on the '06 Uly, I'll have to say that that bike gave me the most enjoyment of any single bike (OK, two of 'em, darn deer) in my riding career.

After BMC went belly-up, I decided to go with the Ducati Multistrada 1200S, and the subsequent 41K miles (yep, two of them also, darn hoarfrost) has been very enjoyable. But I always wondered about Erik's next "ADV-type" offering.

Now it sounds like it might actually appear! Can't wait to see if it's something I'll be interested in (as if there'll be any doubt :D). I'll have to talk my local Triumph/Ducati dealer in to becoming a Buell dealer, but I'll bet that's possible...

Always did like Erik's (a fellow mechanical engineer) approach to engineering.

--Doc
  16. Syscrush

Syscrush Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine tipped me off to an XB12XT for sale after I mentioned that this would probably be exactly the right bike for me, and now reading stuff like this thread has me about ready to pull the trigger...

After a series of logical motorcycle purchase decisions, I was pretty keen on the idea of getting something dumb (like a Brutale 675 or a custom CBX)... But when I really think about what those bikes would be like to live with, and what they'd cost compared to the Uly-T, my commitment to stupidity starts to really waver.
  17. Taglioni

Taglioni 1200 8V

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, hopefully you can make it down east with your buddy, then we go for a much overdue tour together...well we're in the same boat, two new bikes and winter upon us...I guess this will be an exercise in patience, but I've waited 30 years, so what's another 5 months,,,this is my first 'post' on adv. rider...
  18. baybueller

baybueller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the 10. I picked up an 08 this year and put a quick 8k on the clock and decided this is a keeper. Sold the 10 Multistrada. It is technically a superior bike but as a Harley guy I never got used to spooling up to over 10k RPM. ( although it gets interesting when you do). My 3rd Buell and the maintenance is as mentioned stupid simple.
  19. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Welcome stalker, a Guzzi Norge has little to do with your chosen adv moniker,
    you "old" bevelheader... :gerg :lol3

Come out west and I'll attempt to show you what a Uly can do to a Guzzi in the Rockies. :pynd :evil

And Brucifer will probably blow by both of us, mid corner on his ST... :eek1

996DL
  20. red450

red450 Stuff

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the Uly. I just brought home my first Buell on weds, 06 Ulysses w/67k miles. I love it!

- sent from my graphing calculator