The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Nah.. The past has taught us that rocks and ZT1200Z engine cases dont play well together, so I try to avoid them as mush as pos..:lol3

Greg.
  2. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah Wasp... Give her a try for us all.
  3. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    A bit of digging on the german HB site revealed this PDF

http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Montageanleitungen/8104531.pdf

It contains detailed mounting instructions. The pic shows the plate riveted together, but I've seen others where it appears to be welded. It's actually hard to find decent pics of this plate. This is the best pic from Amotostuff, the US distributor - Chad, you reading this? Need more and better pics!

[​IMG]

Trevor
  4. sail2xxs

sail2xxs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good find Trevor! It seems like a far simpler arrangement than the other plates; that said, the countersunk washers sticking out the bottom of the plate are not that desirable... the Metal Mule plate I had on the 800 GS took a fair number of hits and scrapes in that exact area. Not sure the washers/bolt heads would do well. I wonder if a countersunk hole in the plate and a larger bolt head would work to get it all flush?

I keep hoping that Metal Mule will post something for the S10 aside from panniers, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Chris
  5. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trevor - When our bikes get here we need to start making some accessories to sell! :evil
  6. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Iv'e been trying...:evil
    We are out there with a lot of rocks and logs around but have only managed to bend the gear lever (last Sunday).
    Haven't even felt the bike case out, or even bottom out yet.

Gear lever hit this log at 7 seconds:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8qbaNnelH0c?hd=1" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="510" width="853"></iframe>

Greg.
  7. Rema in Paluda

Rema in Paluda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a mechanical necessity, if the full brunt of the moving plate, hits a countersunk head, it wil rip it off, now the forces onto the bolt itself are way less becaus you split the forces, and second to that you now have a washer which not only gives a bigger surface e.g les momentum, but also a little prevention against loosening, or far worse corroding together...

A little flex in the whole setup prevents ripping out 1 bolt because the singular bolts now can give a little to load the stress on the other points...

And although welding is nicer to se and lighter, rivets are more longlife solutions, a weld that goes hayward is very destructive wile mostly the material *next* to the weld rips, a rivet can just be replaced...
  8. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Says something about the bike. You're going to have to go out there again and try harder!

Kev
  9. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget Wasp has fitted 1" raising links, so that would contribute a bit of extra ground clearance.

Wasp, any idea exactly how much extra you get where it matters? Say, the front of the sump :wink:
  10. sail2xxs

Oddometer:
    I'm up for that too. Starting with a bashable bashplate . :D

Chris
  11. sail2xxs

Oddometer:
    Speaking of which, wasn't someone posting about a "Force" bashplate from Australia recently?

Any news on that?

Chris
  12. Thagua

Thagua Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer:
    Here are more detailed photos of the HDB products installed ... finally fitted the Top Clamp but as you can see you can only use part of it ...
    Cheers,
    Roberto a.k.a. Thagua
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. amotostuff

amotostuff Adventure MotoStuff

Oddometer:
    The Picture on our website is the actual production version. It is welded. Just checked them on the shelf in our warehouse.

[​IMG]
  14. ~TABASCO~

~TABASCO~ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GREG,,, are you wearing KLIM ? How do you like it ?

15. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chad, I do think the HB skid plate is nice, but can't you get the German dudes to get a bit better price. I'm thinking close to $400 with shipping, right? I'm sure many will pop for it, but I can't make myself do it. Don't feel bad cause I won't pop for the Altrider one either :D.

JDP
  16. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Yes, Klim Traverse suit with d3o armor in the jacket and pants.
    I love this suit and the way the d3o works once warmed up (about 10mins).

I have had this gear for over six months now and have ridden in temps of over 38c (100f), and through torrential inch in minutes downpours, and can attest to how light and comfortable it feels in all situations.
    I could have got away with the next size down if all I ever did was enter fashion parades, but I prefer my gear to fit on the larger/roomier side and prefer the legs long so they are not exposing ankles when sitting on the bike.

They have great ventilation in the jacket and pants when warm, and can be completely closed off and are absolutely wind and rain proof in the cold.

On the really cold mornings I wear a fleece underneath. Absolutely no wind gets through but you can feel the cold of the material against your arms without a second layer.

The d30 armor kit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The suits are sold as a shell and can be fitted with any CE armor if required by the user.
    I have no interest or gain in Klim or any of their dealers but I think I must be their biggest advocate because they are so bloody good.

For the guys in Australia - I purchased mine suit from Steve at AdventureMoto http://adventuremoto.com.au and was thrilled with the price, the service, and the followup from this company.

DID I MENTION I LOVE THIS SUIT?????????????????????????

I had actually planned to do a full review with more pics on my thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933 a couple of weeks ago, but I got sidetracked with work (riding when not working:evil). Keep an eye out there in weeks to come as I will show some pics wearing the suit (with new blood stains and all:cry) and write a few more words.
    Unless of course Klim care to send me a new BadLands suit (:raabia:viking:thumb) and I can test and review that as well:wink:

Greg.
  17. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard nothing but good reviews of Klim gear. I suppose it's a bit out of my price range though. Just bought the Rev it! Sand Jacket and am very impressed so far. It's not cheap, but I think Klim prices are the next notch up for most models. Anyway, it's nice to have high quality, good fitting, comfortable gear, so I can identify with that part.
  18. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the sticky XT1200 thread at the top of the beast page.
  19. Rema in Paluda

Rema in Paluda Been here awhile

Oddometer:

But if you turn it around, you could, the small holes being for indicator lights, and you could then push the bars forward for standing riding position beter...
  20. sail2xxs

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brendan! I'll keep an eye out for pics on the bike. BTW, when will the plate show up on your website?

Chris