KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. selaznog

selaznog Roadless Warrior

Oddometer:
    OK, last post on this subject...

I had a chance to use the DDM Tuning HID light this past weekend. I put about 300 miles on the bike, mostly in the mountains on jeep roads, but also a transit of about 70 miles. No problems with the HID system. I also compared the brightness to two other 525s, with stock lights, and the DDM system is MUCH brighter.
  2. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Here is my improvised version, short piece of hose on the little elbow, and a bolt with two hose clamps to block. Have about 25+ hours on it and it never leaked or made any other problems, probably not enough pressure in the system.

[​IMG]

Don't know if it cools any better, but if you ride in cold weather sometimes I would keep the thermostat.
  3. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found some slop yesterday. Not sloppy enough that the bike wouldn't stand up in it on its own... but slop nonetheless.

Between Phin and Saravan, Laos. Justin kept a straight face when he told me "there's about 20km in this section that's a bit rough".... make that 45km btw... Seven hours to do about 140 km. Ran out of juice at 100 k after this... Fabulous bit of track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some help in a couple of places....

[​IMG]
  4. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    i'm looking at the fan kit, and where it bolts to my EE rad guards. there is a hose that wants to be in the exact same place as the fan, and i have a friend who has had that hose fail due to rubbing on the fan housing.

i thought if it improves cooling as well, i'd do it just for that, as well as fan clearance. but sounds like i should keep it (it does get cold around here!)

anybody have any pics of their fans mounted to EE guards, and how the hose routes by it? :ear
  5. bhorocks

bhorocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got Light?

[​IMG]
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    holy crap, what are those?
  7. bhorocks

Oddometer:
    Baja designs onx lights. They are bright... no joke..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  8. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Holy cow! I want to see a night shot of those things in action. Night ice racing this winter anyone? Nothing like blinding your competition.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I'm with B, send us a night shot and some poor sucker with burnt out retnas:lol3
  10. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    whoaa
  11. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, there used to be a bridge here.... sure glad I wasn't on the Super Enduro here...

[​IMG]
  12. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Never trust anyone that says:

* the checks in the mail
    * Its only a cold sore
    * Its only a short section of rough stuff.

:lol3 Glad you;re having fun and that section is indeed a real fun section. The pictures don't show the part that is dropping off boulders up and down the gullies. That section was sooo awesome I did not stop to take any pictures either.

Remember when we talked about approaching mud holes and looking for alternative ways around the hole that have been hacked out with machetes and such??? In the above picture looks like ya jumped in without looking:deal. haha don't worry as I've kicked myself bunches of times doing the same thing and being knee deep in the muck only to notice the alternative path off to the side. Keep having fun on the bike:clap.
  13. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking an 8" HID spot on top of that bottom row would make a good setup for the Baja 1000.
  14. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Over at the local auto parts store (napa here) I picked up a package of rubber hose caps of various sizes. One of them fits perfectly over the aluminum nipple. Just add a little hose clamp and whala.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    fixed:lol3
  16. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Now you're just going to confuse averyone with that Frenchy stuff:scratch And I don't know nothin about no musical instruments either:tough
  17. bhorocks

Oddometer:
    Really want to get it out for some night shots but had to go out of town. When I get back I'll provide!
  18. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:

Exactly what I did on my 530 since the thermo switch supplied with the fan didn't work. :cry
  19. espressodrinker

espressodrinker Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I was looking in a lighting store today and they sell Osram 4 watt 12 volt A/C LED lamps for down lights.
    Now I know that the stock headlight is A.C. and nominally 12 volt, so would this work as a spotlight globe?
    If the stator is giving out single phase power, than at 3600 rpm the frequency would be 60 Hz, so a lot of the time the globe would be running at very high a/c freqquency, but would it matter?
    The specific globe is
    Osram LED STAR MR16 20 25.
    Just for a laugh I put one across the headlight and it seems to work fine.
    Don't know how long it will last though because I think the stator isn't very well regulated. I measured 30v A/C across the headlight !
  20. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    2005 525 EXC....things to look for, avoid, etc for that particular model?