2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write-up, Pebble. I love the news about the range. It sounds as though 450km is achievable even on the taller "R" if you take it easy, which is perfect. And extremely impressive if you were towing those panniers along on that trip.

Comfortable too? Sounds like a winner. :D
  2. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The "normal" version is just above AUD$23K out the door but you always want to add something and I guess it will quickly add up so I guess the R version with sump guard, pannier rack e.t.c. will be well in excess of AUD$25K.
    Think it is out of my reach at the moment but nice to have something to dream about for the future, what would life be without dreams?
    Congrats to all of you that are fortunate to get hold on one, both versions seems to be great bikes.
  3. lotus7

lotus7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The easy GPS power is from the cable to the accessory socket. Their are 2 spare female spade connectors and access simple from under the headlight.
    This is fused at 10A and permanently on. As I use the Garmin as Bluetooth hub for my phone and headset I only need the power cable for charging, I bundled all the unused Garmin leads neatly and tie wrapped the bundle to the headlight harness. I was concerned that that the cables would drop down and risk being trapped in the forks.

I also have the tank bag and am quite pleased with it. Only downside is that it zips to the harness so is a bit of a fiddle.
    Let me know if you have problems and I'll post up some pics.

Has anyone seen the KTM top box yet?:shog
  4. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the information Lotus, I have decided to order this today. I guess it will take another month until I receive it. :-(((
    As tankbag, I was checking the Wolfman Explorer lite, as I used to have the OE one on my 990 and I remember wasn't so happy with the zipper either. :-)))
  5. December6th

December6th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here is a link to improve your capability to understand your KTM in it's language :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt4Mw1v2c4U

Basically they recommend the 1190T for the street and the 1190R for off road.
    Their guess is that several people got the 1190R for the "looks" and than ride it on the street only which they consider choosing the wrong bike.
  6. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Since the Holan company is around 200 km away, I visit them quiet often.
    Plus the boss of company is my riding buddy :freaky so probably I know some extra details on all upcoming products :evil
    When we saw the 1190 for the second time on the local bike expo, we had a bit more time to look more carefully then on Intermot where were dozens of people around
    So here are some interesting facts we noticed:
    the reason why Touratech made a combo of 31L+45L side panniers is not the big exhaust silencer, but the location of the the headers/swingarm and the angle of the cut on the pannier with cut. this set can be found in powerparts catalogue, I believe this is exactly the same combo that was used by Joe Pichler in his African trip on 1190R
    as some of you have already noticed on the Touratech website they already have the combo of 38L+45L side panniers, I'm almost 100% sure that this became possible only with help of moving the panniers even more away from the bike, so making the bike even more wide and still having the the asymmetrical look that ruins the design of the bike (IMHO)
    since the bike is meant to be real all purpose machine, the width of the rear is very important (especially during city riding or tight off road sections) and this is the part of the Holan philosophy
    on the current moment there are 2 projects of side pannier rack, both of course has cut on the right pannier (exhaust silencer side) and here are the details about the left side:
    1. completely symmetrical - this means the left side pannier will have the same volume
    2. asymmetrical - the right side will be a size more (38 or 45L with cut) and the left side pannier will be a size smaller (31 or 38L respectively), in this case there will be enough space for mounting a Rotopax canister from the inside side of the left pannier wall (lets say near the rear wheel, symmetrically to exhaust silencer)

the problem that there is still no ready panniers set from Holan is that they didn't receive a bike yet (new BMW Wasserboxer arrived faster to them)
    If I receive my 1190 faster then Holan - I'll give it to them to make all range of products as fast as possible
  7. rompe

rompe Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for your review!

Could you tell my why did you choose the R vs the standard regarding the use you give to the bike?

Most part of the users are 90% road oriented with minimal or 'soft' offroad but the best seller seems to be the R. ..
  8. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx for the info!
    Gotta try the R then, the regular dissapointed me when comparing it to the 950S. Felt like a pure roadbike with a killer engine and killer brakes.
    Hope the R brings the offroad beast feeling back, if not i'm gonna start looking for a 990R instead. Even on the roadtrips my 950S is way more fun to me then the 1190. Comfortable enough and plenty fast for public roads. Rather throw in a set of raodwheels and tires then to cough up 14k+ for a bike that feels like a downgrade in funfactor.
  9. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I chose the R because I preferred the looks, the wheel and tyre sizing probably makes the bike a bit slower (good for my licence/job !), and, if I want to go offroad more seriously, there is a better choice of tyres out there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  10. ducatistadore

ducatistadore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That non-R model sure looks bloody UGLY .... Specially with that giant exhaust!!!

:gerg
  11. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :banghead: howcome they can do both versions so distinctive? Yes, the R looks really beautiful. :-)))))
  12. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a look at both the 1190s at my local dealer today. Just arrived and all new smell, shiney, etc. Ive gotta say the thing that kept bothering me was the exhaust system that wraps under the motor just like the 990 SD which along with the oil tank seriously limits the ground clearance. Changing or modifying the headers wont help as the oil tank is still way down low.
    Up until seeing it in the flesh I was very keen but that was a deal breaker for me. Everything else was nicely done, very nicely. Those couple of things were enough to take my name off the test ride list.
    Long live the 950 (heres hoping)
  13. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    Surely you just fit the KTM bash plate?

Why would you not take the chance to test ride? I'll ride pretty much any bike put in front of me!
  14. Tails_KTM

Tails_KTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Garmin mount should bolt straight on with the parts that are in the Garmin box. The dealer did this for me though. I figure since I bought everything new, when there is a failure it will be their problem.

Took my 1190 in for first service today. There is a wear on the side of the chain, but the dealer didn't think this was a problem. I also had a slight coolant leak where a tube meets the radiator and they fixed that.

Apparanty, there is an update for the ECM so they flashed it (don't know what this should fix).
    I was going to get new, longer keys that would work better with the KTM luggage (which I don't have) but the keys were delayed so I'll get them later.
    Finally, they fitted a new slightly heavier spring for the sidestand. I thought the stock spring was already a bit heavy when putting out the sidestand. But I guess some people had issues with it.

I'm pretty happy with the attention from KTM. With my 990 SM T, I complained about several annoying issues but they were never fixed. Couldn't be happier with the 1190 Adventure so far!
  15. southernADV

southernADV Instagram: pablocatena01

Oddometer:
  16. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:

The KTM skid has very good coverage . . . And you can lift the front wheel at will over obstacles etc . . . Get the "R" with a heavy duty skid:

[​IMG]
  17. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot will depend on just how hard you intend to ride it offroad - the KTM guard looks pretty substantial and I suspect it won't be long before we see even tougher ones from other suppliers. Of course a sump guard won't help increase ground clearance but will protect the motor/oil tank if it grounds out.
  18. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    Waiting for that bloody cable to get the bike running!!!!! :baldy
  19. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pete, go back to the shop and get a test ride - it may not be the bike for you at the moment but it is an absolute hoot to ride ! Just make sure they tell you how to turn the electrics off before you leave the shop ...........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  20. Anders J.

Anders J. Electric Enduro

Oddometer:
    Went to my dealer for a test ride on the 1190 Adventure yesterday. Took a 45-minute ride on various roads including some gravel. Great bike and above all great engine!
    Will be testing the R-version next weekend.

HereĀ“s a film from the ride:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQr9cBiAT8E