Thought I'd share my Battle Scoot

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by XJRetrofighter, Feb 6, 2013.

1. XJRetrofighter

XJRetrofighter Smoke Indica, do shit anyway

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is my 1984 Yamaha Riva 180z. I recently applied a custom colored digital camo skin on it with my friend Brian Gerrard from Imagecraft Graphics in Auburn WA. It's my daily driver, although I have several other bikes that like to compete with it for my seat time. I love it. Picked it up in Olympia from a kid for $700, rode it all the way home to Seattle on I-5 with my Wifey following behind. The next weekend I rode it at the Isle of Vashon. Couple weeks later, had the Knobbies mounted, and never looked back. Most recently I wired up a 12v power outlet in the glove box for phone and GPS charging, and I just ordered my Ram mount for my Garmin Nuvi GPS, soon to make an appearance in the cockpit for longer missions and adventures.

Thanks as always for being such a great community, ADV. I love seeing everyone's' rides and learning from you all.
  2. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    that is a cool looking scoot!

Damasovi
  3. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    I love those '80s scoots!

That camo stuff is hard to see, are you sure that's safe? :D
  4. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice scooter. Also nice that it is freeway legal. I have 3 scooters and none of them are freeway legal. One is a Genuine Stella 2 stroke, which is a keeper, but I keep thinking about trading the other two for something freeway legal. Not being able to go on the freeway at all really limits where you can go. I also love the looks of those old scooters.

I have never tried to make my bike visible. I have owned a lot of black bikes. I try to make MYSELF visible. I wear a solid white helmet, and a reflective orange vest. I also like headlight and brakelight modulators. They give you more visibility without making the bike look like some kind of safety mobile. Most cell phone operators on the road will not see you no matter what, you just have to watch out for them.
  5. civhatch90

civhatch90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still dont see the scooter:evil
  6. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Super custom, I like it!
  7. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those wheels are a great choice! What is the non friend price for the applique stuff for a NON-friend from your buddy. And are other designs available?At least give him a web site plug!
  8. XJRetrofighter

Oddometer:
    So Brian says that it's all about sq footage of coverage- that, and the angles/complexity of the shape being wrapped. A good starting place for estimating costs for this kind of wrap would be $11.75/sq ft. That is for straight colors I believe. Designs like mine which was fully custom, cost a little more since they have to be made in a design program first and that takes additional time. He's definitely looking to do more bikes though, and my scooter was done in one night with me working side by side w Brian. It was a super fun process, but we wasted a couple sections of film trying to get things just right. It would have been really hard to do on my own, I'm glad I had his help.

As for my wheels- thanks, they're the stock color! 180z's came in Black only, with Gold pinstripes and wheels.
  9. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    Oh, hey, I recognize this bike! I've forgotten your name but we've met a few times - I think I saw this when you showed up at Cafe Racer for the Seattle Children's toy run, right before the ride left.

You should post pics of the Honda noped with the mountain bike forks. That thing is rad.
  10. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. XJRetrofighter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Seraph you're right- you saw me at the beginning of that toy run you guys were going on at the holidays. I had just got done wrapping it like the day before at that point. Holler at me next time you see me out with the crowd! I'll post the runaway for you, lets see here...

[​IMG]
  12. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool! Ride the wheels off it...
  13. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a near perfect Riva200 for $650 with a little over 9k on it. It has a different frt susp design than yours.
  14. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    That modded NU50 is freakin sweet! I had a 1982 model, almost totally stock, except I converted to running a 55W halogen bulb in the headlight, haha. I restored it and sold it, but I miss that thing!