Titles and Trials motorcycles

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    When I bought my Montessa 315R, years ago. I didn't receive a title. It really didn't bother me, at the time. I thought, it was just the way it was...

Now, things have changed (enter in BIG brother and OHV fees). I would like to get a OHV plate, so I don't get hassled by the 'man'. Also, god forbid, I'd want to sell it someday. Does that make the bike worth less money, if there's no title?

Soooooo, how do I get a title? And, yes I do have a bill of sale.

Confused, in AZ...:ear
  2. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    do you know for a fact it's a legit bike ?

do you know the previous owner still ?

assuming it ever was a title bike and not a bill of sale ?? it's a little bit of a DMV headache since it was never in your name

they will attempt to reach the previous owner and if you can't get them to release it you may need a bond

search AZ DMV http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/FAQsResponse.asp?Category=2&Keyword see item 18

and selling a bike with no title definitely makes it worth less and may be illegal to do so ?
  3. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Any bike sold in Arizona needs not only a title, (for legal reasons) BUT the title needs to have both the sellers and buyers signatures notarized. IF both the buyer and seller are in Arizona. I would try and get in touch with the original owner and see if he will get a dupe title, and sign it over to you at the DMV when he gets it. It is only like 12 dollars for a title only.
  4. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look under Vermont Titles....
    Easy.........
  5. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Wow, sounds as bad as CA. If it has never been titled, there is a potential to go back to the US distributor for the bike and get a duplicate of the MSO. I have herd of this working in CA, but CA has an extra gotcha that only a select few bikes can be titled due to CARB (clean air board) cert.

Less than have the trials bikes for sale here are titled. They still sell, but the state is cracking down even a events. Many regret not having a OHV sticker/title.
  6. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here in NM, trials bikes are SUPPOSED to be registered for use on public lands because they are considered OHVs. If you could prove the bike does not have a seat, you MIGHT be able to talk your way out of being considered an OHV, but my Montesa's parts list clearly calls the plastic rear fender a "seat."

:baldy

The NM OHV law requires all in-state OHVs to be titled and registered through MVD. Very few trials bikes here have titles, and the trials dealers have mostly been operating outside NM dealer law. If a bike has a 17-digit VIN, to get legal you would eventually need to get a title, get a stolen vehicle check, buy a bond, and pay the title, back tax, and registration fees.

If the bike does not have a 17-digit VIN, you cannot get it titled through MVD's system. It falls into a giant grey area in the law and can only be registered via the out-of-state process. My daughter's Sherco and my kids' OSETs all fall into this black hole of regulatory ineptitude, and I'll be working for a solution.
  7. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Ridenm, my has a vin#:clap. Looks like your advise, is my path to a plate. The bond cost $100.00 here. Sucks...but, worth it in the end.

I have some other places, that money has to be spent on for now. However, I'll update my experience. After going through the process...
  8. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years

Oddometer:
    In Oklahoma there is a process to get a title on a vehicle that has lost one. It's a pain and takes a while, but it can be done. As for getting a title and a plate to make a trials bike road legal, especially a 2 stroke. I haven't tried that. I'm taxed enough with 12 vehicles! perhaps it's just luck. Try one window and hit a bureaucrat. Come back later to another window and score?

A friend of mine in Kansas City area got a Beta 300 because of how it is described from the dealer, and the fact that it is a 4 stroke. Apparently the Beta 300 can sneak through the system in Missouri to get a plate. He wanted a bumper bike for going places in the RV that was road legal, and for some reason could not do that with his Raga.
  9. dbeck

dbeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bonded a 1974 TY175, a 2001 TXT250, and a 1995 JT250 just a few months ago. Got titles, registration and OHV plates for them all in Phoenix. Not a big deal just be ready to spend a few hours at the title agency. I found a place that does it all, one stop and all done.