2012 jeep wrangler six speed manual

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by hayduke357, Sep 30, 2012.

1. hayduke357

hayduke357 hayduke357

Oddometer:
    I was going to pull the trigger on a 2012 jeep wrangler unlimited manual today, however, been reading some problems with the Manual Trans. I have read most of the forms but most seem to be operator error. Anyone with real word experience with the 2012 manual?
  2. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    I've been looking too and saw a little bit about the manual transmission, but I think the Pentastar cylinder head issues are a much bigger deal for me. I decided to wait for a 2013 as I think the 2012s will have a cloud over them in the resale market down the road.
  3. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    I have one, 14,000 miles no issues with the transmission but I have nicked reverse before trying to shift into 8th gear. It doesn't happen going from 5th to 6th but more if you get lost or change your mind or whatever and have to find 6th from Nuetral. The gates aren't real defined.

Most of my trouble came from driving an F150 5 speed for the past 10 years even its worn 300K mile 4.6 V8 had way more torque than the Pentastar. I was used to just side stepping the clutch and not touching the gas. I stalled the Jeep a bunch learning low speed driving.
  4. jeepkevin

jeepkevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an 05 LJ that used the same Mercedes 6 sp as the JK. The most common complaint is the first gear issue. You put it in first let out the clutch and bang the shifter goes back to neutral very quickly. After you have this happen a few times, you realize it is you that doesn't have the shifter all the way in first. It's like something binds when you push forward into first and the shifter stops short. Pull back and push forward again and all is good. Once you get used to driving it you realize the shifter isn't going forward all the way.

We purchased a 12' with the auto for my wife, she doesn't like to drive a stick. Just hit 7k and the Jeep is finally starten to loosen up a little. We really enjoy the vehicle. We tow a 2 bike trailer and it does well. The longer wheelbase of the 4 door certainly helps.
  5. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 6 speed jk for a few years. The 1st gear issue was repaired on a TSB.
    The clutch was on its way at 66,000km and the front axle was staring to leak (for the 8th time)

Other than that, stay outta the mud with it because there is a big opening on the bottom
    of the bell housing that'll let crud get up in the clutch. Brilliant design for an off road vehicle:huh
  6. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Considering the niche the Wrangler is aimed at--that's a bunch of crap!

Out of curiosity, were you running huge tires? The Dana 44 should be good to go with 35s--at least on early Broncos it was/is.

And that opening? WTF? Can it be fixed with some tubing to make it vent at a higher level or something? Or, what's that opening there for?

Also, if you're planning on going wheeling, it sounds like first is geared to high for the torque available--that's something that'd be worth researching before commiting to the rig or tranny. There's probably a fix out there, like a low-range adapter that can be installed, but I bet that's a $2K solution to the absent torque.
  7. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had stock rubber on my Rubicon.
    The opening is right on the bottom of the housing and is an oval a couple of inches wide by a half
    inch or so. Stoopid design for sure.
    I never ran across a solution except for "don't shift in water". My throw out bearing was making
    noise and those are a weak link as well with no aftermarket upgrade.
    65000 km is way too soon for the problems we had.

Totally disappointed with our Jeep except for those sunny days in the mountains with the top down.
  8. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    I just drove a '10 4 door wrangler 1300 miles for a client. It had the 6 cylinder engine in it and IMHO 6th gear was a waste: There's not enough torque in that engine to keep the little car (it isn't a Jeep anymore:cry) moving up highway hills at 65mph, to say nothing of 75+.
    Reverse is there, but you need to look for it.
    Comfy ride though; good sound system, power seats, A/C etc.

I was underwhelmed.
  9. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude the Good Knievel

Oddometer:
    i haven't driven this engine in a Wrangler but I have had it in a couple rental mini-vans lately. I can see where torque would be an issue. Most kitchen appliances have more than this engine. Get it in its power band however and it will SCOOT. I've been itching for a Rubicon with the Pentastar. I do think I'd go the auto route though. I've had a XJ 4.0 5-spd for the past 12 years and I really think autos do wheel better.
  10. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a '12 Rubicon with the 5-speed automatic. Had to sell it due to quickly worsening medical issues that made driving it painful.

I don't know what some of you are talking about with regard to torque and the Pentastar. The Pentastar has great torque from right off the line...google up some power & torque curves, and you'll see that it makes more torque across a much broader rev band than the 3.8 or the 4.0. Depending on whose torque graphs you look at, you may or may not see the 3.6 at worst produces a few less (as in less than 5) lb-ft of torque just off idle...some graphs I've seen put it dead even. From roughly 1500 rpm on up, the 3.6 makes more.

Now perceptions may be a different story. Because the midrange and top end of the 3.6 are both FAR stronger than either the 3.8 or 4.0, the perception may be that the 3.6 has less torque. Also, Jeep has been putting 3.21 gears in a lot more Pentastar Wranglers than they used to when the 3.8 was around (at least that's what I've seen on dealer lots)...compare a 3.21-equipped Pentastar to a 4.10-equipped 3.8, and the 3.8 will feel stronger off the line, no doubt. Get the 3.73 gears or the 4.10 gears though, and the Wrangler flat out moves, regardless of what's showing on the tach. Lastly, the Pentastar throttle mapping is different than the 3.8. The 3.8 used to jump off the line because a tiny gas pedal tip-in gave a disproportionately large throttle opening...not as bad as some cars out there, but the 3.8 throttle mapping was definitely weighted to make it feel stronger off the line. The Pentastar mapping is quite smooth and gentle at tip-in, to make metering out low-rpm torque at low speeds a very easy thing.

But take it for what it's worth...I drove several 3.8 Wranglers (modded and stock) before buying a 3.6. I hated the 3.8, but the 3.6 is a great engine in my book.
  11. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    I concur. I test drove a 3.8 last year, and was underwhelmed. I now own a 2012 Wrangler Sport 2dr with the 3.6. I've been very impressed with the motor from a performance and mileage standpoint. I'm averaging about 20 mpg and have been quite pleased overall.
  12. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2007 2-door 6-speed manual. I like it a lot. I agree sixth is a waste. I travel a major freeway to work every day and never get outta fifth. Finding reverse is annoying as hell. You really have to move the stick to the right with purpose.

I don't intend to do a ton of mods to it. It'll see duty as a forest road camping machine and daily driver. I think it's cool for that in stock form. Around here I see a lot of people spending a lot of money on accessories to "look the part". I don't get it.
  13. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    I didn't mean to diss the Pentastar, it is plenty powerfull once it revs. I waited a year to get it mostly for the gas mileage. I use 6th all the time, literally. I drive 100 miles per day and once i get to 6th i lug it around in 6th down to 45 or 40.
  14. jrunberg

jrunberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your gears make a HUGE difference in how things feel. It's not just about the engine.

I've got a '05 LJ Rubicon (11" longer than the standard 2 door, but the same otherwise) with 35" tires and it cruises at 45 in 6th. Just lopes along – 4.10 gears really make the difference. Not huge power anywhere but it's a Jeep and I'm fine with it.

For street work it's decently comfortable with Clayton long arms and a 5" lift. Offroad it just goes wherever you point it. If I had to do again I'd (perish the thought) do an auto to give finer control in the steep stuff.
  15. 131unlimited

131unlimited Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wheel in swamps with a lot of mud and water along with some rock trails in another state when I get the time.

past --
    99 TJ with the AX-15 --- 95k -- 5 speed tranny. awesome tranny
    2005 LJ ---- 80k ---- 6 speed, zero problems

current --
    2007 JK Unlimited rubicon --- 47k ---- 6 speed , zero probs
  16. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't want a Jeep, they are wayyyy too junky!

:lurk
  17. debueller

debueller Has a thing 4Fungirl

Oddometer:
    I’ve been seriously considering a two-door ’13 Rubicon with the Pentistar and the 6spd manual.

We test drove one a couple of miles and for a Wrangler, the engine really felt strong. I really think I would like driving and traveling in it, and the mild off road excursions we plan to do with it would be very enjoyable.

For those who have more info/opinions please keep ‘em comimg!!:lurk
  18. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Agreed. They're referred to as mall crawlers for a reason.

[​IMG]

Having fun in MOAB with mine right now. Off to re-run the Klondike Bluff trail today on what might be the greatest expanse of slick rock I've ever seen. The destination is an overlook of a particularly nice section of Arches National Park.

[​IMG]

Yea, Jeeps suck because they like get bad mileage and stuff :lol3

[​IMG]
  19. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read the replys with caution. Most of the higher mileage references will be with the old 3.8 V6, the gutless POS from the minivan. I forget when (I think 2011?) the Jeep got a completely new engine that I have been told runs way better then the old one. And all this is completely different then the true old school 4.0 inline six. I recall that there are differences between the transmissions each time there is a change in engines as well. So filter carefully:deal
  20. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Funny how the 3.8 is referred to by some folks as gutless compared to the 4.0 it replaced, yet it makes more horsepower, more torque, and gets better mileage. On the way out here to Moab at the top of last week I buried the speedo on flat ground at an altitude of 5000 feet. Not sure what you expect a Wrangler to do, and admittedly the new 3.6 makes a lot more horsepower. But that extra horsepower is at high RPM. It would be nice to have, but it isn't a necessity.

Having owned 5 Wranglers - including one 4 liter TJ - I find my current 2009 Rubicon to have similar performance to my previously owned TJ, and I know my rubi would handily beat my friend's TJ Sahara in a drag race. His TJ came with 30" tires and 3.73 gears. My Rubicon came with 255 (32.5") tires and 4.10 gears, so there's no real overall gearing advantage.