Australian model f800gs - which year?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by rmhrc628, Dec 16, 2011.

1. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since we Australians use f800s to their limit, which model are options are considered the best?

I'm buying a used version and so far have following queries:

1. Have they changed at all since launch?
    2. After doing what I consider essential mods such as major suspension upgrades are they really suited to aggressive riding in the Vic high country with its thousands of water bars?
    3. What are the model options available ?
    4. Is abs worth getting?
    5. At what number of kms do you start to get trouble?
    6. Are they good quality and well built compared to say Honda crfs and xrs?
    7. Does the standard seat need replacing ?

My background is making an electric start xr600 with fcr and Crf forks and big tank which weighs about 150-160 kg.

Clearly the Beemer is going to be smoother, but will I be as tired as I get after a day of high country on the xr?
  2. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Poor you, nobody wants to answere you? Here about my little knowledge:

1. I didn't request any change since the launch in 2008
    2. -
    3. ABS, Center Stand, led turnsignals, bord computer, heated grips
    4. ABS is always worth getting. since you can disconnect it, be the master of your fate :lol3
    5. Depends on how you're riding, where you're riding and of course how you treat your bike.
    6. Of course they are :lol3
    7. Yes, test rode it for an hour and it began to hurt. It's more an enduro seat and not a travel seat. Change it for the BMW confort seat, it's the cheapest if you're on a budget), to this I would add a windshild

here you are,

peace

Loutre
  3. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh dear.

I recently had a friends XR650R that I did a lot of suspension work and setup on (it has the HRC cam and Big Gun pipe etc etc). To compare it to the BMW is like comparing Ballistic Missiles and Bananas. The BMW is the Banana....just in case I left any doubt.

Aggressive riding in the high Country? I suppose that depends on how much health insurance you have and much you earn. I suggest a good fund with Private Hospital and psychiatric councilling coverage.

They come with ABS here in Aus. I don't believe it was ever an option here. It has a switch. You'll get over it.

From what I'm seeing, problems with them don't follow a time line. More like they relate directly to the usage. Use it aggressively off road and you'll need the health insurance and the high wage to pay for repairs. Because there will be problems.

Fit and finish seems to be good, but design is a little.....how to say it....overthought and under engineered.

The seat....oh baby.....it's like being in prison. You get used to feeling you've been ass raped by a large hairy moustached man named Chopper.

After a day riding one in the Victorian High Country...aggressively...off road...you'll need a week at a resort spa.

If you do buy one and take it off road aggressively....the very second it feels like it's going to fall and land on you....get off. Have a friend on speed dial to come and lift it off you for the times you aren't fast enough.

What?? It's all true....you were all thinking it....you just paid so much money that you don't want to believe it.
  4. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Snowy... I think :)
  5. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mate, basically they are not a "dirt" bike.

I knew that when I bought it. I bought it so I could take the wife away with me on my "adventure rides", because she couldn't stay upright in an arm chair, let alone on her own motorcycle.

So I accepted early on it wasn't going to impress me off road. especially with a pillion and a load.

To be honest, it's not that bad in a pure off road environment.

It's clearly very heavy, compared to any 450s or even some of the dual sport 650s. It clearly lacks suspension travel. But ridden very carefully it will go a lot further than you'd give it credit for.

I'm not much for being "careful".

So naturally the first time I took it out for a play on my own I bent and broke stuff. This has become "par for the course".

Now, I've been very upset about the BMW lately, and it probably isn't reasonable. It probably stems from many other external "life" pressures.....but the continued litany of failures has dampened my love for my BMW. But to be completely realistic it fulfils my original purchasing objectives. Once sorted it will be an infinitely better bike than it was when I bought it.

I accept now that "aggressive off road riding" in the sort of environment you describe - which is the same environment I ride mine in - is simply over reaching.

If you want to ride aggressively on the sorts of trails and tracks that exist through the Victorian high country, and you don't want the servicing handicap that most modern high performance 4-stroke bikes have, I would suggest something like the Kawasaki KLX450. It is probably the only one of the 450s that you can ride for extended service intervals and still have reasonable performance and reliability, and have proper suspension.

Failing that, you do what I did and build what you need, start with a DR650 frame and engine, and fit the suspension from a 450 to the front and rear of it. Then you spend the next 2 years getting it to work exactly right. My DR is currently about 60% RMZ. The base engine is the only original unmodified component. I have 3 sets of wheels, and 2 complete sets of RMZ suspension for it. I chop and change it to suit where I'm going to ride. I have all the different set up options covered.

That's the reality of it.

There is no one bike that does everything.