Shinko 700 Series

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mikeegee, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mikeegee

mikeegee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Received my Shinko 700 Series Dual Sport Tires from motorcyclesuperstore front $48 rear $57.

Just got them mounted yesterday, replacing a TKC80 front and a 908RR rear that were pretty well worn.

I'd have stayed with a more aggressive tire, but moving from Denver to Omaha reduces the amount of need, and sadly enough I've devolved to mostly a commuter. And what better commuting platform than a 640adv with worn knobbies?

The fron is a 3.00-21 and the rear is a 4.60-18. The rear is substantially thinner than the 980RR, but the pair was cheaper than one rear, and I figured right now that is a priority. TKC80s are still my favorite, though I was thinking of trying the Mefo Dual Sports, but like I said cash is king until I get promoted somehow.

These are Korean made, and after checking, my 980RR was made in france, and the Continentals were also Korean-made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lesson learned - bare feet aren't very fond of worn chainrings with sharp edges.

100ish mile update:

These things don't track the seams and grindings in the road anywheres near as much as the TKC and the 908RR did, but those things were pretty well along their ways so I don't know if that matters. I couldn't possibly tell you how much either did when they were new. The 908RR had over 5k on it, and the TKC lived through a TKC rear and the 908RR.

My favorites are probably still TKCs, but I haven't had these off road, so I can't comment on that yet. Maybe it won't rain and I can hit some of the Loesse Bs this next week.

Michael.
  2. mtguy

mtguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been eyeing these Shinkos for my KLR, just haven't heard of many reports on how well they wear.
    Keep us posted how well they work out :1drink

Edit: I was looking at the tread design and noticed they are almost exactly like the Kings KT-966 tire...i wonder if they are somehow related?
  3. mikeegee

Oddometer:
    It turns out I've lost around 4 mph. With the last set up cruising at ~5k rpm I was around 70 mph, now I'm at about 66.

I think I currently have a 16/42 setup. I'll be replacing it all going to a 17/40 setup, so we'll see what I get then.
  4. mtguy

mtguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a rear shinko 700 for my bike. From what i understand, Shinko buys discontinued molds from other manufacturers and produces those tires under their name. Apparently Kings has discontinued the KT-966 (a durable dual sport tire from what i have found) and now shinko must be making that tire now.
  5. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    ok, so who has a good price on these?
  6. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some curosity here also. I had the idea they were chinese made.
    Tires can be so subjective.
    Jim
  7. mikeegee

Oddometer:
    These babies have Made in Korea on the sides, just like my TKCs do.

I don't know about the Kings, though I looked at getting one before these. I'm not sure if these are the same thing though, as the pics look subtly different.

motorcyclesuperstore.com sent me mine for $114.98 shipped.

So far so good. Reasonably predictable ride. Haven't had them off road yet, but maybe tomorrow I'll cruise a few dirt roads just to check.
  8. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are tubeless tires , is it ok to run them with tubes ?
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Have to have a follow up on how they work on and off road.

If money is a concern, I've had good experience with the Duros at about the same price. I ride them pretty hard on the road and haven't had much problem off road at this time (I hate mud so I seldom get in it too deep). I don't ride with any more than a back pack, no panniers or anything.
  10. speedthrills

speedthrills Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know have 1000 mi on my E-700s. 50-50 gravel/dirt and 2 lane pavement.
    Like them well enough I'm thinking about ordering another set because everytime I find something I like, they quit making it. These track well enough on pavement for what they are, while having decent enough dirt traction. I haven't had any mud to speak of. I expect to get 4000 out of them.
  11. alexk243

alexk243 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought two 700 Series Shinkos for my 1995 XT600 for $91.98 Shipped from motorcycle superstore. Couldent beat it for the price so I went for it. Ill have to let you guys know how they work.
  12. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Why not go with the 5.10 in the back?
  13. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody use these tires in any kind of loose dirt ?
  14. goswiftly

goswiftly Got tubes?

Oddometer:
    My '04 KLR has the original tires on it (former owner never rode it). I just ordered the 700 rear, as far as I'm concerned anything will be better than the old stocker that is being replaced. I'll ride mostly roads but I don't slow down much in the dirt so I wanted a 60/40 street/dirt tire and for the price you can't beat it. The dealer where I ordered it was having a sale, 25% off. I paid $88.00 cdn for it taxes in. Definitely one of the cheapest tires out there!
  15. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on my third Shinko rear 244 (same tread pattern as Kenda K760, made in China) and my 2nd front. The first front had to be swapped out early due to uneven wear from running too much pavement on low pressure. The 2nd rear gave me roughly 5500 km with about 4500 km loaded like this:
    [​IMG]

for the $$ I'm very happy with these all around, but my last rear started chunking center knobs on my 3000 km trip home for no apparent reason all of which was on pavement driving the speed limit?
    [​IMG]

I like them fine on the pavement and have had no issues in any road conditions. as for offroad they have also been fine in a wide variety of terrain:
    1300km+ of dirt roads and a few nails here plus plenty of more difficult stuff around home
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
    The 244 does not have anywhere close to the tread pattern of a K760.

I think you meant a K270.
    Which is closer, but still a significantly different pattern.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    hey skipii can you put up a photo?
  19. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
    Kenda K760:
    [​IMG]

Shinko 244: Down the center, the knobs go single, double, single, double.
    [​IMG]

Kenda K270: Down the center, the knobs go single, double, double, single double double.
    [​IMG]
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    ah yes, now I'm reminded. I'm running the Shinko equivalent to the 244 which has been really good to me so far. I like the look of the 270 for the type of riding I do most around here.
    Might be setting off for about 1200 km's offroad next week?:ricky