Garmin 276C Shuts Down?!?!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Yellow Pig, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have my Garmin 276C mounted on a ram mounts, its hard wired and also runs on a battery at the same time.
    Recently the unit has started shutting down on me during my ride. I'm convinced it's from the jarring and vibrations during offroading, but w/ both the battery and the hard wire I don't think it's loosing power.

Any ideas?

Anyway to shock proof the unit by opening it up and heat gluing components?

Thanks Dan
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Most likely. Check your settings on what to do when it loses external power. It may be set to shut down. You could also have dirty or loose battery connections.

You can open it up and silicone things, but I'd first work on the external possibilities.
  3. ebbo

ebbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had mine crash and reboot it's self during a trip a couple of times, my mates Garmin (but different model) did exactly the same thing at the same time & place so I suspect a mapping/routing error.
  4. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    I've got it set up to stay ON when external power fails so between the hattery and the hard wire it should not loosie power. Its not arouting thing snce I was not routing, just tracking my progress.

This is why I think it's and internal short, what elso should I look for?

Thanks
  5. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

Internal battery, if there is one, could be the culprit. It happened with my Furuno on my boat...Just some thoughts....
  6. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    The internal battery is soldered in, and welded to the lugs - but, I guess if the solder joint came open on the battery to the board, it could do something.

Most problems with the units shutting off have been external battery related, but you never know.

If you have someone you could swap external batteries with, I'd try that on a route when you know the thing will crash and see if it does anything.

Opening up the unit is not hard, nor is replacing the internal battery. I'd give a look just for giggles. Look for the thread on replacing the internal battery for excellent instructins. You can also silicone other stuff while you are in there.
  7. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    If the unit is hard wired the battery loosing contact would matter.
  8. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    I agree. That was the problem with my 376C. Got a new battery, no problems since (and my problems were similar to yours).

HTH
  9. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Checked internal battery and it was fine. 3.3V, so that's not the problem. Any more ideas?
  10. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 276C was crashing then re-starting. After trying several things suggested by Garmin Tech Support, I had to send it in for service -- meaning I paid $200CDN to get a refurbished unit back (mine was outside the warranty period).
  11. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Update: So while I was in there checking the voltage of the internal battery I siliconed pretty much everything I could. Well this weekend I did a 500 mile offroad ride full of rocks and jumps and the Garmin never once shut down. So I'm assuming the silicone dd it's job.

Now all I need is a new antenna, the old one fell off half way through the ride.