KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. ak-15

ak-15 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's right. I have a KTM SXC 625, no mods, just trying to keep up on maintenance. She wheelies in third gear.
  2. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I have the Stenhouse risers and the ROX risers on mine. The ROX are good as they allow you to move the handlebars up and forward (or back). You may need longer cables. I had to replace the decomp with an earlier model (which is longer), but the throttle cables will work with a bit of re-routing and spinning the throttle house so the cable exit from the bottom.
  3. mike cramb

mike cramb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Sparrow,

They need a bit of tuning to get the best out of the BST 40 carb. Throw away all the polution plumbing and jet it up and it will have around a 30% increase in power. There are plenty of threads in here on how to do it what to remove and blank off. Mine goes extremely well and is quicker than a freinds who is running a pumper carb much to his dismay. They do sound like they are about to explode at any moment but you get used to this. Other problems to look for are bent rims the originsal beher rims a soft as $&!^ and will soon look like and Aussie 50c piece. Go for double stamp excell's but these still get bent if you ride hard over rough country. Spring rates are set at factory for a 75 kilo rider and are way to soft if you are around 80 to 90 kg you will need to upgrade the springs. I am 5'10 and dont run any bar risers at all but I do have long arms. (heavy school bag when young or maybee just a knuckel dragger! ) I stand up a lot and have rotated the bars back a bit. My friends 6 ' and has 1'' bar risers. Plenty of riser kits available some with steering dampner. Accelleration should be good check the gearing if standard from factory gear it down a a couple of teeth at the rear if you are riding off road. Mine will power wheelie without any problems. decel popping is controlled by a valve and part of the polution stuff you throw away so maybe this bike has had some but not all the mods. I have raced mine as a Rallye bike and now its retired and used for trail and adventure riding. I dont know of a better bike to do long range trail riding its fast ,comfy and handles very well for its size. It can be along way between fuel stations over here so the 400 kilometer range is very handy as well.:1drink

Mike

Attached Files:

4. Cruiser

Cruiser Cruiser.. 16 beta 350rr, 2003 KTM 625sxc

Oddometer:
    After seeing that sweet white/black adv,, got me thinking about creepers white adventure.. does anybody have any pictures of that when she was all finished.. I searched and only saw some early white/black pics,, no all whites with the custom seat.. That one was his I believe? if not I'm sure somebody knows who's that would be.. I sold my 625sxc for a 450exc and regret ever doing so.. sure its better off road.. but I just got word I have disc issues in my L4-5 and may not be able to ride as aggressive as I was for quite some time.. Something I could ride a bit farther on the slab would be really nice.. and the 640adv is such a great bike..... yes I'm kicking myself.. my LC4 was super fun.. and the new owner said no about selling her back..
  5. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    I have some pics of the old Creeper 640A v2.0 some place. I think they are after his infamous "bridge crossing - a bride too far" get-off, so they should be the final iteration of his Adventure while still in his possession. Now I just gotta find 'em... :deal
  6. sjeproductions

sjeproductions Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes checking the depth of the water is not an option. In those situations, just pin it and pray!!! :D

[​IMG]
  7. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    finally posting a pic of my 07 that I picked up about 2 yrs. ago.
    pic is from last year riding in SE Ind.
    [​IMG]
    endurists likes this.
  8. MeRide

MeRide Me like bikes!

Oddometer:
    The factory idle spec is 1600rpm so I would image that 0-1500rpm would be ignition off. :deal It's not a Harley so needs rpm's to breath....downshift into a lower gear and throttle up. They don't like to be lugged. Try riding it @3000rpm and above then check back in here with your findings. :wink:
  9. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    What plate is that on your rear fender rack?
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    The manual for my 2005 model says 1400-1500rpm.
  11. Sweat-n-Dust

Sweat-n-Dust Sweat-n-Dust

Oddometer:
    Anyone w/experience 15x51 final gearing on the enduro r? any changes to the chain guard w/51 tooth on rear?
  12. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enduro, it's from tt. got it used last year on this site.
  13. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Good looking bike.
  14. Ando74

Ando74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, Having a few issues with my 03 640 A. Up until recently she had been running fine and only had a small amount of muffled popping on deceleration. This problem has increased slowly to the point where it now pops loudly whenever i back off. It has also become hard to start without choke even when warmed up and is idling very roughly. Obviously it is running lean but what would cause such a condition to affect it when previously it had been running fine?
    Any ideas as to where i should begin to look for the problem?
    As far as i know the engine is standard, the snorkel is still in the airbox and it has a staintune muffler which i usually run with the baffle in place. I have no idea what the jetting specs are but i assume they are in the ballpark because the bike had been running nicely beforehand.
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Cheers
  15. TEZZA

TEZZA ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer:
    Check all the exhaust joins , if thay suck air in at a join thay do pop alot. You might have to re jet the carb to the mods in the 640 thread. I have the full Staintune exhaust from the head to the tip , the carby is jetted and moded and all the joins are tight it still pops a bit and have been told that it shoots flames .
    I have found with the flames it can be how it is ridden ?????:huh
    Tezza:D

16. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    You guys ever seen something like this?. Had the bike in the shop to sort out a leak around the counter shaft Just before my trip. 50 miles later saw my front sprocket going down the trail next to me???? Glad the chain did not wad up and lock the rear. Never a good time to happen - day 2 of a week long dirt bike trip.

Made me wonder if the chain was too tight or if the shop did something?? I was jumping it some and just giving it the usual hell but have never had something like this happen. To make it the mile back to camp I used the heal of my boot to hold the sprocket in place. The bike has never let me down in 12 years. Sucks!

[​IMG]
  17. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    Shop fixed the leak by changing the seal, but used the old sprocket screw (or overtorqued the new screw)?

A new screw, with the spring washer, is only a few bucks/euros....

-T
  18. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    ouch, you lucky !!

that isnt going to be a cheap fix either....:cry

laramie :beer
  19. sparrow

sparrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    $3900 FOR AN '08 WITH 15,000 MILES. Good deal? Is it about time for stuff to start breaking? I'm guessing that this bike has very little dirt miles but can't be certain. The bike is in pretty good shape overall. There's some built up oil and gunk around the breather hose by the left foot peg but other than that it all looks in order.

Can these bikes be ridden in the dirt/mud with that low front fender? I have read where rocks get lodged in there and break the fender.
    How much should it cost to do the high fender mod?
    Will I have to replace all the hydro lines if I put on a set of bar risers that are about 2 inches higher and an inch out towards the front? At 5'10 200.lbs I find the stock bar position unbearbly low and way too close.

I know all these Questions are somewhere in the index thread but finiding them is a pain in the ass.
  20. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Check the vacuum lines for the fuel pump, too.