Dirtbikey Weekend, July 8th-10th

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by causef0rconcern, Jun 24, 2011.

1. causef0rconcern

causef0rconcern Rift Explorer

Oddometer:
    After my ride last week to Liberty, I decided I need a solid weekend out there instead of this rinky dink day trip bullshit. A few of my buddies sounded interested, so it looks like we're gonna have us a little out time out there. I figured I'd throw a post here and see if anyone else wants to come along, since I've gotten a lot of great riding location tip-offs by lurking this board.

Here's the text from my original facebook invite:

"This is going to be a smashingly fun double overnighter on the east face of the Cascades in the national forests east of Liberty. The scenery is second to none. Striking mountain vistas, snow capped peaks, deep gorges, valleys, ghost towns, awesome critters, etc. I've been dual sporting in this area twice in the past year, and each time turned into an extremely memorable day trip. But enough of that lame crap - let flow the booze, campfires, baked beans, and we can do this right!
    ~~

The plan:

Meet at my house (PM for address if interested) at 530pm sharp Friday night, GASSED UP, ready to go.

We leave by 6pm. It is 100 miles of highway from my house. This should take roughly 2 hours. We stop in Cle Elum to top off tanks and pick up any last minute crap, like booze or candy or prostitutes. After the 100 miles to Liberty, the FS roads begin and we ride a few miles of dirt to the campsite. Fire, food, booze, sleep.

Saturday: Awesome time. Unpack bikes, get rid of luggage, excess crap. Attempt to turn our overweight slugs into semi capable machines. The area is nothing more than a BILLION square miles of loops: single track, two track, jeep roads, FS roads, hill climbs, stream crossings, you name it. People can break off into groupings by skill and intention. You don't need to ride the gnarly shit if you don't want, but anyone who does reserves the right to call you a pussy if you don't at least try.

Saturday night: Fixing everything we broke on our bikes, campfire, lying about how fast and well we were riding, drinking, cans of beans, sleeping.

Sunday: Wake up very, very sore. Decide if we want to ride more or pack up and head home. Decide what route we want to take home. I suggest 97N (or dirt roads if you suckers have any nads left!) to Leavenworth area. Onto Highway 2, over Steven's Pass, and head home in the shadows of some more of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

~~
    Camping will be PRIMITIVE but not necessarily backcountry. Depending on what site I pick (hopefully in a day trip between now and this ride), we may or may not have a water spigot available. I wouldn't count on it. Pack in, pack out. We will likely be digging to poo. This will be awesome.

I'll have some printed out maps, but if you want your own (have your own!), they can printed from this link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/we<wbr>natchee/cle-elum-orv/orv-m<wbr>aps.html
    ..."

So it looks like this will be mostly mid size dual sports...if a bunch of DR650s are considered mid sized dual sports. Most of the people coming will be street riders with recently acquired dualies, so there will be rides for everyones pace. I'll have my XR600R as well as DR650 there, and I love abusing both, so I'll definitely be seeking some punishment in the single track. Basically, we don't care if you bring your 1200 or 125. Just be ready to ride it.
  2. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Sweet plan, Mike. I think I'll try and make it on my Husky... I'll PM you for the address later in the week once my plans firm up.
  3. causef0rconcern

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. This is shaping up to be a good time. One of my oldest friends from growing up in NJ is flying out for it! I figure it'll be in the vicinity of 5-7 people at most, as stands right now. I encourage more!! At least come out and ride Saturday, folks!
  4. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    im watching this thread and my calendar at the same time.. assume an xchallenge is an adequate tool for this job..
  5. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    A GasGas 280 might be more fun :evil
  6. causef0rconcern

Oddometer:
    Oooh, oooh! Somebody bring a trials bike!!
  7. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:

ok, I'm in, i'll bring my xchallenge and 2 trials bikes, ;)
    would have to truck them over though
  8. oldx

oldx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I knew you were good,but riding 2 trials bikes at once,damn man.
  9. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    He'll probably have one or both sold before he gets home. :lol3
  10. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Great :clap

Now I just have to get the Husky back together again... Damn fuel hoses keep melting on me :huh
  11. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have an 01 txt 200 I bought for Skylar the 10 year old to learn on, but i'm finding it's a great bike for 'bait'.. everyone i let ride it so far has went out and bought their own.. :lol3.. so.. lets see how it goes.. I'll bring the little yellow 200 for new folks to try.. and well see how many go out and pick one up once they see how fun it is :D

oh and keith.. i dont sell my trials bikes.. just the bikes with seats.. :deals
  12. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bikes with seats make your butt look big.:lol3
  13. causef0rconcern

Oddometer:
    I see in your signature line that you also have a DL650...Ask rabbit_fighter, you can do it on that bike!!
  14. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw the pics... I think I'd rather do it on the Husky. I'll consider that its shakedown trip for the MT1000 and WestFest, which start a week later.
  15. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Oh boy, I'm doomed :eek1 I might as well start saving up for one now. But those 4T trials bikes are so friggin' expensive... :cry
  16. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yabut there pert cool.

[​IMG]
  17. jeffpack1957

jeffpack1957 Soul Rider

Oddometer:
    You can camp at Williams Creek, there is a big field there to camp. When I Jeeped, thats where we camped.

Alternatively, you ride through Liberty, hang a left towards Lions Rock, and back in there is more camping area down to your right.
  18. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    :tb
  19. causef0rconcern

Oddometer:
    So I haven't/probably won't make it up there prior to the ride, but I did some research and scoured my memory, concluding with:

Camping at either the Ken Wilcox Horse Camp on FS 9712, or if the group is smaller, in the "yard" area of that little cabin a few miles west of the horse camp, also on FS9712. Probably taking the road from Liberty in.

The group leaving from my house in Seattle should be getting there by 9pm at the latest (I hope for 8, but we'll see). If anyone wants to meet up, that's where the party will be. I'm not sure what time we'll be waking in the morning, but if anyone is coming out on Saturday....come up early and lets ride!

Ken Wilcox Horse Camp has all sorts of goodies for the truck/trailer crowd, so if thats your steez, bring it down! That means all of you with trials bikes and stuff...uhhh...you guys are welcome to join !!!!!

Just a reminder - I'm a broke dude trying to organize a good time, so I'm not providing anything but a plan - bring your own water, food, etc...nothing will be provided (although I really wish I could host a big feast!!!)

I'm excited - can't wait for next weekend. Fourth shmorf, I want dirtbikey weekend!!!
  20. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Sounds great!

Meanwhile, both of my bikes are in pieces... I'm chasing an electrical gremlin on the V-Strom, and the Husky is currently w/o a fuel pump :cry

I should have everything back together by next weekend -- need to wait for the fuel pump to get back from George@Uptite before I can button the Husky up -- so that I should still be able to make it. That weekend is supposed to be the shakedown ride for the Husky before the MT1000...

If the bike is not together by then, I will likely be wrenching on it (or maybe I'll ask if I can ride up with Mark and play on his recruiting toy... err, I mean trials bike :lol3