My 2010 GS is too loud.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by bobbybob, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the torquey new motor but the louder growl just gets on my nerves after a while. I really loved the "stealth mode" of my 07 R12RT--quiet, like an F-16 at mach 2 until it passes you. :D

I know lotsa folks here love the new sound. Good for them. I'm glad they're happy.But please don't post how much you love it here. Start your own "I love my new GS's loud pipes" thread. This is for those who DON'T LIKE IT. :baldy

So who else feels the same way about their 2010 or newer GS? Does anyone know what would be involved to tone the sound down a few Db ? Do the new RT's sound the same? Not that I want an RT, just curious. (yes, I wear earplugs)
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I remember that there's a bypass valve in the exhaust to allow better flow at WOT? And that it doesn't really affect performance as much as the sound of performance? If this IS the case an exhaust mod should be cheap.
    If not, you can trade for my '07 with 14k miles on it...broke in at no extra cost to you :deal
  3. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    If you rode the RT with the side cases on most of the time - that's part of the explanation. The 2010s are only marginally louder than the 2009 from what I remember. But I didn't really compare noise as I wear earplugs anyways.
  4. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you're saying the earlier GS's were also louder than the RT's? My RT was quiet as a mouse, either WITH or WITHOUT sidecases on.

I suppose what I want is a GS that sounds like an 07 RT. Or at least somewhat quieter.

Who can explain the function of the "exhaust flapper" valve? It is upstream from the muffler so I don't see how it could affect the sound. I would think all it does is increase back-pressure at lower rpm's to compensate for the lower restriction muffler.....?
  5. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I'm saying that side cases drastically muffle the noise coming from the exhaust. The GS is a bit louder than the RT from what I remember, but not all too much.

Overall, I never bothered to find out ...
  6. TnTiretracks

TnTiretracks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an 07 RT and also the 2010 R1200GSA.
    The GSA sound is Anoying. The RT is very quiet and I wish that the GSA was a quiet. I am embarrased by the sound of the GSA at times. No need for that loud noise and then there is the poping and cracking on decel. Wish that there was a cheap cure for it.
  7. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:

ALL RIGHT!! I knew I wasn't the only one! TN, my sentiments exactly. I've done the H-D/loud pipes thing and am SO over it.

I'm wondering if the 09 GS can's are quieter than the 10's and if you could just plug-n-play for a quieter sound...?
  8. TnTiretracks

TnTiretracks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At this point in time, I really do not know if you can just change out with a quieter earlier (09) model. That black box thing just ahead of the can might have something to say about that, and eventually mess the bike up.
    I wish it could be just swapped out. I like hearing the motor run, not the noise from the muffler. I think that bmw pulled a bummer here.
  9. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it CAN be done---I am going to figure how to safely do it. I am hoping some of the local experts here will chime in......
  10. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at "realoem.com" I see that the pics and part #'s are identical between the 08 & 10 mufflers for all the clamps/parts/etc.--but the part # for the CAN itself IS different. I suspect that the '10 can is simply an 09->earlier can with some reduced baffling, and the flapper simply simulates the missing back pressure for the correct tuning. So from what I see, the earlier can should bolt right up. The question is, since the '10 motor is actually different from the 09, is it possible to disable the flapper and let the muffler provide the needed back pressure? I.e., how MUCH b-p is needed....?
  11. Bobo

Bobo Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't think I was imagining it when I thought that the sound of my 2010 GS had a little more growl. I would never compare it to the sound of a Harley. Not even close. Heck, maybe I am even imagining the sound because the bike is mine, not someone else's, of course is it going to sound better!:ear
  12. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    Trade you straight up for an 09.:deal
  14. bboshart

bboshart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would not be a straight replacement. The 2010 connector pipe is a wider diameter than previous years. I know because I received a pipe lowering kit with my Jesse Safari bags and it did not fit, they have a different connector for 2010 and up.
  15. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I can see that now. Would need to fabricate an adapter piece for the 2010's exh. flapper valve. Could be done......:norton
  16. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Both header and muffler are different on pre '10s (hexheads) and '10 GSs (or '11s) DOHCs. As mentioned before, the '10s have larger flared pipe ID for both header and muffler to accommodate the flapper which is inserted and clamped in between. :deal

Theoretically, if you remove the flapper and insert short piece of pipe to connect header with muffler, (pipe OD has to fit both IDs on header and muffler), you should be able to achieve same effect, noise-wise, as pre '10s hexheads :evil!!

Now, while I haven't seen nor heard anyone done it on GS DOHCs, I've seen it done on 08-09 BMW HP2 Sport bikes which were the first DOHC Boxer engined bikes with flapper (slightly different kind but same function).
    According to the owners who've done it, ie. disconnected the cable to the flapper, they couldn't see or feel the difference (noise, torque etc) between with and without the flapper nor any fault codes thrown :dunno?!

Somehow, BMW can never get it right: with hexheads, people complained that it ain't loud enough so Akras, Remus etc went on to make it louder!? Now, when BMW "listened" and made it louder, many want to go back and make it quieter!? Ain't that ironic :lol3:rofl?!

Mebbe they'll make it right with new 2013 or so water-cooled GS :D:D??

Kidding aside, I do believe in ear-plugs and wear them regularly so if it was me, I'd leave it as is - didn't find '10s any louder than my 07 with Akra slip-on anyway...:evil
  17. PhotoBiker

PhotoBiker Please insert title here

Oddometer:
    Am I wrong to say I love the new sound? Sounds like a sports car. Much louder than my Strom, but I feel like I'm riding something sporty now.
  18. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Since the flapper moves from closed (quiet) to open (loud), replacing it would with a straight fill-piece would leave it in the open (loud) position at all times. No? Exactly the opposite of the OP's desire for a quiet bike.

Taking your idea a step further and repeating what bobbybob said, instead of a straight fill-piece eliminating the flapper only, he could make an adapter piece and then fit an '09 exhaust can which will bring him to the sound of the 2009's.

Retail on an '08/09 exhaust can:

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_GridView1 border=1 rules=all cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR><TD>01</TD><TD>Rear muffler</TD><TD>CHROM</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>18127694463</TD><TD>$860.42</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think I'd have to hate the sound the bike makes quite a bit before I laid out that sort of dosh. Unless you can find a take-off somewhere.
  19. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Not for nothing, but that's because you are.

<COUGH>

:augie
  20. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    While I may not be on best terms with Google at the moment, since it hasn't provided me with details as to when the flapper is open and when it's closed, I highly doubt that, it being closed, is what makes the engine sound quiet! If the flapper is closed where would the exhaust gases go??:dunno

It's more likely partially open (or closed) at the engine start-up and then depending on RPM, it opens/closes to coordinate back-pressure ie. torque and with new muffler with modified internals, the different sound comes as "side-effect" - just my guestimate but would like to find out the details so if you have any specifics, please share... Or, mebbe some of the resident dealer reps on board can give us insider's look at it?!

The alternative of making an adapter pipe and fitting old hexhead muffler ain't bad either since they do come via Flea market rather inexpensive these days as take-offs... Personally, I wouldn't want that boat anchor back myself unless I'm putting the bike back to stock prior to selling it - but that's just me...

Anyway, there are some ideas on the table for OP to consider :thumb:thumb!!