Stop me!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Kikemon, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    +1 Nicely written, and so true.
  2. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, exactly what I was looking for! If I wanted to be talked out of it I would have posted something in the "Planning for your future, 401Ks and beyond!" forum!
  3. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw an original while I was at the dealers this afternoon.....[​IMG]
  4. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Hey Kikemon, glad you hesitated on this one.. I waited in the wings and scoured it up.

The owner upgraded the bike's suspension with a great set of Ohlins and the bike handles really well. I already own a nice KTM 950 twin Adventure with revalved WP suspension and it's great for Adventure rides. But it requires it's share of garage time. I wanted a local bike I could ride around town, have fun and spare the excess on my KTM 950.

[​IMG]
    I flew up to San Francisco to pick up the XRCR and the bike looked immaculate. It's more impressive in person. The bike looks and rides solid. The wheels, bodywork and exhaust looks great up close. And the owner, a Brit ex-patriot was
    unbelievably gracious, helpful, honest and meticulous. It was the perfect combination of top notch bike and owner.

I rode the bike back from San Francisco to L.A. over two days last weekend covering only country roads. The bike handled flawlessly and got 45-48 mpg. Granted the engine is heavy, considered antiquated with it's 5 speed and ACH's... but that's also what makes it simple, consistent and easy to handle over a long trip. I love it. I much prefer it over the other new technology retro cafes like the Ducati cafe, the Triumph Thruxton or the newest Moto Guzzi CR.

And I've always loved the XLCR's styling. The XLCR styling is an acquired taste. It pays homage to Euro garage bike building and styling from the 60's and 70's before the Jap bikes became popular. To many that era doesn't translate. I was always influenced by it growing up. It was the birth of moto hooliganism. The XLCR hooligan bike should have fit in perfectly with Harley's image on paper... In reality it was too foreign for the Harley image buyer, perhaps too witty and too stylized.

I also grew up living miles away from Ascot raceway and watched the hay day of flat track. And the XR750 was the king. It's difficult to see a New Springsteen replica conversion or an updated Norley cafe and not want to drop what you're doing a go leave it all on the road.

This XRCR has a bit of nostalgia in a modern package, great suspension, upgraded full floating brakes, nice exhaust and fueler, fuel injection... And domestic parts and service cost.

And who knows, maybe it will be a collectors bike in another 25 years?
  5. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats DesertSurfer ! :clap

I saw the post in the other XR1200 thread, and knew I had seen the bike somewhere before - in THIS thread.
  6. Kikemon

Oddometer:
    Hey Desert Surfer - actually I am stoked that this went to a fellow inmate! This bike needed a good home and it looks like it found one.

I hemmed and hawed over this bike for a while. Ultimately I figured if I had to make a posting to ADV Rider about it I was not ready to buy.

Congrats on your new ride. Have a great time on it!
  7. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Remember , NEVER tell the world online where you found what you're looking at or some jackass will surely buy it out from under you.:deal
  8. Kikemon

Oddometer:
    If I really had to have it I would have clicked the "Buy it now" button instead of posting here. I am ok living vicariously on this one
  9. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy one of those boat anchors either , but that's not the point. :deal
  10. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I saw the XRCR on Craigslist, Yakaz, and then on EBay. And I've been a member on the xr1200ownersgroup.com website for many years... And this bike came up there too. I made an offer on probably the only other Jewel kitted bike in the US two years ago for around the same I offered on this one. But that other one was box stock other then the J kit. Glad I waited. That other bike sold to a guy who stripped the J kit off of it and sold them off. The owner of the bike I bought needed a replacement tail set and bought the parted out one.

I've not heard anyone on the street refer to this bike as a boat anchor... Ha ha. On the other hand it does receive a lot of praise. The previous owner warned me about that.

It's not a quick bike like a Zuki GSX-R 750, Yama R1 or Honda 1000rr. But that's not the point of it.

It's a very forgiving ride. A near standard seating position from waist up. Smooth roll on power at the throttle grip. A beautiful note off the exhaust. Good planted feel, not heavy turning from a stop like most cafe bikes have.

It's very comfortable in all conditions. I rode it two days in the saddle bringing it home on winding country roads and could have kept going. This bike build turned out very right. Of course this motor is heavy, but it's modern with the fuel injection and is very smooth. I was also very impressed at how quiet the belt drive is ( my first belt drive). I know there are chain drive conversions that reduce 35 lbs. off the scales. But for now I'm happy with a whispering drive set that lasts 50-60K miles.

And this bike is great on the freeway splitting traffic... It's nice and thin!

Yep, it's a keeper.
  11. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride a '99 Sportster and it's been as reliable as any of my Jap bikes, or cars, for that matter, too. Just a pure joy to ride and own.
  12. Kikemon

Oddometer:
    I missed it then, what is the point?

I just came off of a R100GS so I know about anchors, but I did learn to appreciate a bike that is good at going slow. There's more to be said for that than most people think. Yep, I am getting old and this is what qualifies as wisdom for me. I expected more, but you get what you get. That said, I don't think this bike would qualify as slow, though it is heavy if you compare it to a sport bike. It's not all about speed and race bike handling, though there is nothing like having a fast bike between your knees!:ricky I think this bike strikes a good balance.