GS Expandable cases

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Canadane, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Canadane

Canadane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a year and a half of touring on my 2008 GS with the expandable cases I find that I can not collapse them any more. When moving the lever to the smaller setting it will not move the telescopic part of the case all the way in and I don't want to force it any more than I have.
    There obviously is some kind of crud that has built up preventing this action from taking place. I have tried to keep them as clean as possible but when riding where the bike is designed to be ridden, they get dirty.
    Is there anyone out there who have tried to take them apart and cleaning out the sliding parts of these cases and if so, please give me some directions so as not to break something and not be able to put them back together again?
    On second thought, maybe that would give me a good excuse to buy a set of Hepco-Becker.
    Thank you, Canadane
  2. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
  3. Interceptor

Interceptor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had one that wouldn't collapse because the gears had become " unmeshed" . I was able to dissasemble it with minimal tools and resynchronize it with a little trial and error. I remember removing the lever and positioning the sleeve either all the out or all the way in and then putting the gears back in time.